ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Import

Just bought a 172, and have only just realised that it is an import. Didnt mention this to my insurance company. The one thing im concerned about is that it may not have the CAT1 alarm on it. I dont have a flashing LED near the Gearstick but do have one in between the middle of the dials. Does anyone else have an import and had this concern?

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
never had that one near the gear stick flash

they all have the flashing one near the dials

how did you find out it was an import

Well I looked through a few of the threads on CS and was concerned as i didnt have the small light down near the gearstick. i dont recall having window etching etc. But i have called the dealer who has a copy of the HPI check that states it is not an import. So im guessing it must have the alarm?

Turbos.
I have a Sigma alarm on my import, came with it from Motorpoint.

I haven't told my insurer it's an import, fat f**king chance they're getting more money out of me.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Just bought a 172, and have only just realised that it is an import. Didnt mention this to my insurance company. The one thing im concerned about is that it may not have the CAT1 alarm on it. I dont have a flashing LED near the Gearstick but do have one in between the middle of the dials. Does anyone else have an import and had this concern?

I think your lucky to have an alarm if its an import.

Might be wrong but im sure a lot of imports have no alarm.

Lee

BMW M2C
I have a Sigma alarm on my import, came with it from Motorpoint.

I haven't told my insurer it's an import, fat f**king chance they're getting more money out of me.

My 172 was an import from Motorpoint. That also had a Sigma alarm. You'll sometimes find that the fitter is a little lazier and puts the LED next to the hazzard switch instead of down by the gear lever as Renaults import centre fitters do.

You can also tell it's an import if it's not got the National Secutity Register stickers on the windows, and no locking wheel nuts.

Do you have an additional alarm fob on the keyring? Depending what they have in stock they sometimes use two sigma ones. One uses the existing one, the other has an additional fob.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
i had an lazerline alarm on my 172 (import) inbetween my hazard button. i uses the standard keyfop aswell

Turbos.
Do you have an additional alarm fob on the keyring? Depending what they have in stock they sometimes use two sigma ones. One uses the existing one, the other has an additional fob.

Yes, sadly the Renault fob only does the central locking. Have a Sigma fob for the alarm...

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
I got my 172 about 6 months ago and I'm in the same boat. The imported version has no alarm, just the standard reno immobiliser which is the red light on the dash. My Hpi report also states it is not an import, therefore how are you to know? So your insurance company can't do anything about it. I'm planning to get my own aftermarket alarm fitted, just not sure what to get yet and how much to pay - maybe someone can help point me in the right direction?

Lee

BMW M2C

Yes, sadly the Renault fob only does the central locking. Have a Sigma fob for the alarm...

That'll be the Sigma S32, same as was on mine: http://www.afs-securitysystems.com/Sigma-vehicle-alarms-immobilisers.php

The S34 is the one which can use the manufacturers fob.

Thanks guys

My 172 is a phase 2, it doesnt have the national security register stickers on it. or any of the Alarm lights and i havent got a locking wheel nut key. But as i mentioned earlier the dealer has a copy of the HPI check stating it is not an import.

What do you think

Lee

BMW M2C
Insurance companies don't mind about parallel imports. It's grey imports that are the issue. Some ask if it's a parallel import, I assume because it is worth less. I told mine when I had it and they said it made no difference as the car is no different to a UK spec car, provided it had the alarm added, which it did.

Lee

BMW M2C
Thanks guys

My 172 is a phase 2, it doesnt have the national security register stickers on it. or any of the Alarm lights and i havent got a locking wheel nut key. But as i mentioned earlier the dealer has a copy of the HPI check stating it is not an import.

What do you think

I'd say he's probably wrong. It's happened before, people have bought from a dealer and found it to be an import and the dealer claimed it wasn't.

Call Renault UK customer services on 0800 072 3372. They should be able to tell you where the car was originally destined for. You'll need the VIN to hand.

Well im picking up a copy of the HPI check tonight. The dealer i bought it from is a well known dealership around the country so i guess i will have to wait and see. He did go through the HPI check with me over the phone and i was almost convinced. Im guessing that by law he cannot forge this HPI document?

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
An import must be worth less than a UK so unless you got it at a dscounted price I who insist on some money back.

A UK car must be worth more.

Lee

BMW M2C
I don't know if a HPI report would show that up. They are all registered for the first time over here, so I can't see them knowing it wasn't destined for the UK in the first place? Don't know though, that's just a guess.

How complicated. despite this I love the car and it is absoultly mint, interior and exterior is almost unmarked it has low mileage, full renault service history, 2 years warranty and essentially i bought it for what it is. Not what it is worth when i come to sell it. Ive looked at lots of cars in the past (uk spec) that are going for more money and in not good condition. The only thing im concerned about is providing my insurance company with the correct details. I can get an alarm fitted if it comes to it.

Does anyone no where i would stand with my insurance on this. if the dealer has told me it is not an import and the HPI says it is not, and i dont really know. Who knows. Im guessing a call to Renault UK tomorrow.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
when i was selling mine i took it to renault to see if they would buy it, they did a hpi check on it and it has certain descriptions of the car missing thats how they new it was a import.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ Thats your best bet mate , Ren UK will tell where it was sourced from . It won't affect your insurance if it is an import as its basically the same car as the UK cars , with the exception of having no window etching , no alarm fitted as standard and no locking wheel nuts . Big deal eh , the cobra alarms fitted as standard only have an 18 month warranty iirc , get an aftermarket like the Toad and it comes with a lifetime warranty .

I'm on my second import and have a Toad 850 cat 1 alarm fitted which works off the renault key fob .

And when you come to sell it , it " will be " worth just as much as a UK car despite what some misguided people might tell you . I sold my 172 for the same price as simliar UK cars on autotrader .

And if your insurance company has your vin number they will know its an import , well Adrian Flux did anyway .

You say you still have the warranty remaining ! Ask Ren UK if you still have any of the AA assistance remaining , if the car came with a full 3 year warranty it should have come with 3 years AA assistance .

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If you do need an alarm fitted i have the number of a guy down Newport Pagnell who's fitted both my alarms . He'll do it at home , work etc .... and he's Toad approved . He travelled all the way up to Lancashire to fit mine :eek:

hmmmmm i too have a Sigma alarm (keypad) above my windscreen... but i have no additional keyfob :-S would the little light next to gearstick light up if it worked? coz it doesnt :-S also... wot measures do u reckon ill need to go to , to get it working again? coz surely it wont work off the renault keyfob? or i need to set it up using the keypad? im puzzled!

I've just got a 172 import from eBay. Was rather ticked off initially that the guy didn't disclose the fact it was, but never mind. Mine originally came from Renault Amsterdam, but was purchased through a dealer in Hull by the original owner (just to confuse the issue). Nearly everything required to bring the car to full UK spec is readily available. Mine came with a Cobra alarm and locking wheel nuts, the only thing missing is etched window glass. Once the vehicle is out of its warranty period I doubt that it being a import will make any difference to its price really. it's not like its been imported from Japan with funny stickers on the Speedo and lights in the wrong place like some rally reps.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
On a UK car, would you have a separate key fob for the alarm? Or would it just be the same as the normal door unlocking one?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Don't pick my 172 up till tomorrow night so I'm worried now :(

Can't remember if it had etching on the glass either...

Does the alarm make a plip plip noise (heh) when it disarms/arms?