ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 in Valver!!

damn never mind!!

Am looking out for a willy engine and box at the moment, just didnt quite have the funds when paul aka infinicar was selling his last one but have the funds now so hes gonna let me know when he gets one in!!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Wasnt the tallness of the 172 engine one of the reasons it wasnt used in the Elise?

Im sure I heard that somewhere

Leon Cupra

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 09 November 2003

Wasnt the tallness of the 172 engine one of the reasons it wasnt used in the Elise?

???:confused: 172 engine in an Elise?? The Elise been out a lot longer than the 172 think it came out on P Reg or something so the 172 engine wouldnt have been about in its present form. Anyhow hasn’t the 1.8 K-series got shed-loads of tuning potential I think that’s why they used it.

In reference to the 172 engine in a valver.. I had a look at doing this after i wrote me 172 off, the main concernes where:

* The height of the engine, mainly due to the inlet manifold.

* Mating either a gearbox or driveshafts to match the engine etc..

* Getting a exhaust manifold to fit

* And Then sorting out all the wiring from the ECU etc...

Its probably doable with a bit of work, perhaps having to tilt the engine to fit inside the valver engine bay, and modifying a few things here and there such as manifolds and subframe etc

Someone will get round to it one day, but i guess your gonna have to ave a bit of spare time on your hands and a fair wedge in the bank ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Tim-Grove on 09 November 2003

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 09 November 2003

???:confused: 172 engine in an Elise?? The Elise been out a lot longer than the 172 think it came out on P Reg or something so the 172 engine wouldnt have been about in its present form. Anyhow hasn’t the 1.8 K-series got shed-loads of tuning potential I think that’s why they used it.
They originally intended to use one of the F7 engines from the Willy (F7R) or Clio 16V (F7P).

The deal fell through because Renault got funny and were using the F7R in the then forthcoming Spider.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

In C&C Conversions a while ago it said that Hillpower was working on putting a 172 engine into a valver.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

The engine could probably be made to fit but you would need to swap most of the vehicles electrical/injection system as well due to the immobiliser and obd system.You couldnt use after market throttle bodys due to the variable valve timing is controlled by the renault injection computer.

Lionel Richie

You can use aftermarket throttle bodies on a 172!!!!! Roamer had just done that on his MK2 172, its due back on tuesday plus it has 212bhp!!!!!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 10 November 2003

You can use aftermarket throttle bodies on a 172!!!!! Roamer had just done that on his MK2 172, its due back on tuesday plus it has 212bhp!!!!!!
what have they done about about the valve timing.Have they just disregarded it and made up the loss of bhp with the throttle bodies.The variable valve timing is only active through mid range revs and only under certain conditions.How could they control this accuratly.The actual operation of the valve timing is controlled by a solenoid which controls oil flow to a two position dephasor on the inlet cam.The solenoid is easily operated but doing it at the right time would be difficult.

i asked this question a few months back, (172 engine in a 16v) and got told the same,

but from what i remember some one was talking about putting a cup engine in their valver/williams

(i thought they were the same engine, 172&cup !!!)

i cant remember who it was though !

Ph1 172, Mini 2.0l T

Just about any engine conversion can be done to any car, Ive stuck a Vauxhall Xe in my mini and there are many Honda vtec ,Toyota ,Rover conversions even a front wheel drive Rover V8 in a mini so putting a 172 motor in a 16v shouldnt be too difficult.

As for the VVC on the 172, from what I have read it only works at low revs to reduce emissions (not like a Honda Vtec system) so you could remove the ecu control and just have a permanent live to have it activated at all times which is no worse than fitting a wilder cam profile.

Lionel Richie

JAY172, That really hurt my brain reading your post!!!!! LOL!!!

Simple answer to your question - ASK Roamer!!!!

Jenvey Throttle Bodies and inlet manifold with OMEX ECU = 212bhp and 170ft/lbs