ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 instant bad smell!

172, Focus
Over the last couple of weeks the Clio has been giving off a rotten egg/cat knackered smell instantly after starting up.

It doesn't smell when engine off and interior fans running, but the instant that engine is running it stinks, doesn't seem to go away when the engine is hot either.

No warning lights, mpg usual, emission test fine, runs ok bit lumpy here and there but usual 172 idle.
Sparkplugs and leads about 2 years old.

I've used the search function and found many threads but little with any resolution.

Any ideas?

Could be one of these -

Plugs.
Leads.
Coil pack.
Injectors.

With the car running, unplug one injector at a time, it will run worse when you unplug one that's fine. When you unplug one that doesn't make a difference then you know which cylinder is the culprit.

Just in case you didn't know already, on the rocker cover the cylinder numbers are 4,3,2,1 from drivers side to passenger. On the coil pack it's 1-bottom right, 2-bottom left, 3-top left, 4-top right. Or you can just follow the leads.

Hope this helps you get it diagnosed nice and quickly.

Exact same problem as me. New coil pack and leads and plugs. Went away immediately. Check bottom of your coil pack for splits and cracks.

I've never checked the bottom so thanks for that.

Oh and your next post is post 172. ;) (f**k yeah moment)

Thank you, I'll get stuck in tomorrow and have a look.

Once I've sussed it I will end the thread with the fix!

That would be great, I find that a lot of people don't tend to let everyone know what fixed their problem in the end. It could save someone a hell of a lot of time and/or money if they have something else they can check or may have skipped.

I've just sent this to Prestigechris, Hopefully it'll make life easier for you.

13568384553_7e12a4398c_o.jpg

This might be different for yours, on mine if it is a coil pack an orange light appears on the dash. But you'll notice that a coils gone though as it'll be running really rough.

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
Have you checked you charging voltage across the battery ?
these can smell if the charge is too high due to fault alternator

cheers

172, Focus
As promised, ending thread with the solution.

New coil pack fitted, job done.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice!

182 205 306 rallye
Nice one for this thread, it solved mine.

First off the car had a flashing eml and was running rough as you like. Straight away it was obvious it was ign related so I bought a coil pack and leads. Coil pack did not solve it so I fitted the new leads and the old coil pack ( if it ain't broke don't fix it and all that). Solved the problem.

A week later the Mrs came home and said the bloody light is back on, not flashing and it drives perfect. Took if for a blast and it stunk like the eggy smell. Found this thread and went out and swapped the coil pack. Sorted. Light went out without even starting it.

Nice one :)