ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Jacking Points

One of my Jacking Points (Off-side front) has bent, when jacking that side of the car up, did it all according to the manual (I have been doign this for year, and not had a problem). Renault want to look at it, and I said I would ask other members if they have or known this to happen. I read someone had the same happen to them a few months ago. Thanks.

Clio 1.6 16V

Marc, Ive jacked up at the specified points (not very clearly indicated in the manual) a few times but not had any problems. Couldnt quite work out the need for the holes in the sill seam anyway. Could understand if the the saddle on the jack had a location lug that fitted in the hole but it doesnt. IMO, the hole will certainly weaken the strength of the sill structure in this area. Im pretty sure my past 2000 MK2 1.6 16V sport jack had a "U" shaped saddle that fitted around the edge of the seam, spreading the load. Cant remember for sure.

Will be interesting how Renault plan to repair the damage!

ICE'dberg MK2 172

a couple of mine have bent over too...let me know what reno say

ill add it to my list of niggles....

Thanks for the post guys, will talk to Renault about this, they need other cases, so will keep you posted what they plan to do.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Flying Scotsman on 30 January 2003

Marc, Ive jacked up at the specified points (not very clearly indicated in the manual) a few times but not had any problems. Couldnt quite work out the need for the holes in the sill seam anyway. Could understand if the the saddle on the jack had a location lug that fitted in the hole but it doesnt. IMO, the hole will certainly weaken the strength of the sill structure in this area. Im pretty sure my past 2000 MK2 1.6 16V sport jack had a "U" shaped saddle that fitted around the edge of the seam, spreading the load. Cant remember for sure.

Will be interesting how Renault plan to repair the damage!

Its a Renualt weight saving feature, yes by adding this hole and reducing the weight by 0.0000000000000000000000000000000001 grams it will actually accelerate much faster. ;)

Taking the car to the bodyshop at Sighthill in Edinburgh for them to investigate. Brod is also coming from my garage to give assistance. Will keep you informed.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Same thing happened to me the first time I jacked mine up. It just collapses a bit then doesnt seem to bend any further. Why Renault decided to put a hole there I cant imagine.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Gibbo on 11 February 2003

Taking the car to the bodyshop at Sighthill in Edinburgh for them to investigate. Brod is also coming from my garage to give assistance. Will keep you informed.
Watch out for you car as I am giving my GF driving lessons in my 172 around sighthill industrial estate (she drives past the Renault garage all the time). :eek::oops:

yeah mines also done it on o/s front. I posted a message a few months back about about. Took mine in to Renault Wolverhampton to have a look at with some other warranty work. Looks like they just bent it back!!

HI.

I have sent this email to the members who have the jacking problem, apart from telford mike, as you have not given out you email address. If you can mail me at mailto:marc@cliosport.net">marc@cliosport.net or mailto:marcgibson78@yahoo.co.uk">marcgibson78@yahoo.co.uk, that would be great. This info is to inform Renault UK only, and not for any other purpose BTW.

Hi guys

Just thought I would email you to kindly ask for your cars details, such as model, yr of reg, VIN number and any other details you think might help. The reason for this is so I can inform Renault UK of this, as I have been to the main Ren garage with the manger from my local dealer and they told us bent jacking points are not covered under the warranty! The manger from my dealership could not believe it or their customer service, so he is going to fight with me on this one. I have told him there are other club members with the same problems, hence the reason for this mail, so this can help our case, and in turn help you too!

Please email the details of your cars so we can prove to Renault there is a problem.

Kind Regards

Marc :)

The latest.....

I have just been told that Renault UK are flying someone up to look at my car in the near future, as they are concerned that this has happened to five Clios within the Club. My dealer manager was very impressed how serious Renault have taken this matter. Will keep you posted.

Reno need a technical report of more than one in number to sit up and pay attention, pls can you get in contact with me at mailto:marc@cliosport.net"> marc@cliosport.net or mailto:marcgibson78@yahoo.co.uk"> marcgibson78@yahoo.co.uk, if you have had a jacking point issue with your car please. thanks.