ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 look alikes

1.4 clio sport
am 18 and i want a 172 sooo badly but noway can i afford the car aswell as the insurance, where can i find a 172 look alike ?

It's A Reno
Why not just wait.
Making a ph-rep cost a lot of money, and all you get for your money is the look.
What do you do when something tasty turns up at the lights and wants a bit of fun, stall it?

Williams 3
Price of 172 = £3500
Price of 1.2 with 172 bodykit, alloys and interior = £4000

Even if you can find a 1.2 with a 172 bodykit already on, you still have to tell the insurance company what modifications it has.

Makes no sense. Just wait.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
the amount of fun building a rep...?

priceless,
tax and running costs of a 1.2,
plus factory cosmetic mods dont do much to the insurance,

also, you can rep it to how you like it,
not everyone wants 172 interior,

tbh, id be tempted to do a rep if i was 17 again, just with the amount of fun it would be
and how much ud learn from it

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Changing a couple of bumpers, tacking some side skirts on and changing the wheels? Doesnt sound like fun to me.

cant see it carrying a 4k price tag if was that simple,
its about having pride in a project, a hobby if you will,

something for people to put theyre money and time into to keep themselves from boredom,

i know id have just spent my money on booze and drugs like countless other teenagers around here if i didnt have my project and put time and money into it.

if sum1s happy in they're work, who cares about the price tag, (even if 4k is abit of an overstatement)

fiesta 1.25
the amount of fun building a rep...?

priceless,
tax and running costs of a 1.2,
plus factory cosmetic mods dont do much to the insurance,

also, you can rep it to how you like it,
not everyone wants 172 interior,

tbh, id be tempted to do a rep if i was 17 again, just with the amount of fun it would be
and how much ud learn from it

Well said mate its definilty worth doing and id do it again if i was 17.
Im now 21 and can afford a 172 but at 17 it workss out much cheaper to make a rep.

My Replica

car£1100
tax£115
insurance£600
mods£800

My 172

Car £4000
tax£220
Insurance£1000
mods£300

320d
Some reps are realy nice. Could always progress to an engine conversion when you hit 19ish. In the end you will end up with a car that is essentially an expensive 172 however you have had the fun of building it up slowly etc.

If your not bothered about doing an engine conversion then go for a 1.4/6 as above, they pack a decent punch.

Ph 1 172
wouldnt bother with a rep because there will surely come a day when you pull up at some lights and someone will actually be in a 172 and slap you all over the road...and then the thought will come into your head....*s**t should of got a 172 and saved 500 beer tokens*lol and also 172 are dirt cheap now

Stagecoach Ticket
Always the same mate everyone 25+ will come in here and say buy a 172/182/197 else your wasting your money.

But if your a student/young low earner a rep is fine i built mine on a 03 plate clio for less than than buying a 172 and my running costs are so low

What people forget is the after costs of performance cars if your 1.2/1.4/1.6 goes wrong or needs belts etc its ALOT cheaper than a 172/182 + you do not have to run it on octane pay higher tax 400-600 belt changes 300 servicing tyres are more.

Id always back a rep as a very nice low cost car

And as for the comment you will look stupid at the lights. There is alot of things that make a 172/182/197 look stupid at the lights. Just do not race things that you will loose to then you dnt look silly at all.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Just keep a standard 1.2/1.4/dci for a couple of years then buy the real thing, dont bother with a rep!

Indeed, total money pit a Rep is IF the only reason you cant get a 172 is due to insurance. 172's are cheap as chips these days, so just wait until you can insure one. I suppose if your lucky you could pickup a second hand rep which would be the cheapest option if you cant insure it, but im sure most people would put their 1.2's etc back to standard before selling. I personally hate reps in general as they are slow as f**k :D

Black 172 PH2
Just wait, i got about in my old mk1 1.4, then when i was able to i bought my 172.
At the end of the day your making your car look like the thing you really want!
Im so happy i never touched my 1.4 as i sold it on as standard and when i got my 172 it put the biggest smile on my face and it still does everytime i drive it!

BG 182 FF
I wouldn't spend to much on a car if you already want another one that you could get in a couple of years if you save, I have spent quite a bit on my 1.2 but wished I just would have saved the money looking back because since the day I got my 1.2, 2 years ago I always wanted the 2ltr version

Clio 172
Theres a blue one on ebay with the engine conversion done wants 2900 without the seats etc. But on the other hand if your gunna get a 172 on finance then a rep could be the same thing if you get me. I.e car starts off cheaper. 172 on finace £110 per month 1.2 £60. Then you have the extra 50quid a month to spend on your 172 peices. Just look up 172 look-a-like or rep on pistonheads or ebay. See what comes up

I would say go for the rep!
The experience and confidence on working on a car shoots up!

I've just decided to rep mine as I'm keeping it for a couple of years for NCB.
Plus I don't race and don't cruise so no looking silly for me! All I do speed wise is hit the back roads. ;)

And before someone else says...
I don't plan on buying a 1*2, I'm waiting to get something much faster. ;)

DCi 100
Depends who your with though, free visual mods with Quinn.. no problem changing bumpers wheels etc.

Personally I'm still swaying between whether a rep is worth it. It's a lovely look and if you do it well it looks great (JME for example).

I probably think it's worth it. Why not? 17.. decent looking car, who cares if it's not fast as? I know I don't want a fast as car to start off with. Something to gain experience that moves it all that matters IMO when you first get on the road.

At 19 I'd probably just save for a 1*2, or if anything get a DCi 80/100 and do a rep with one of those, remapped etc to gain abit of power as your abit older and will be cheaper all around if you do the miles.

clio trophy No56
My first 182 cost me £255pm and £110pm insurance @ 24yrs old with 0 no claims, my first car on my insurance.
I couldnt afford it at all but every month i still managed to find the money to pay for it + petrol.
Either save your money for a bit and get a 1*2 or just get one anyway and find the money from somewhere every month 2 pay for it.
Or then again buy a GTI6, just as fun to drive, cheaper insurance and cheap to buy.