ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 lump in a 1.2 ph2

Mk1 1.4 RT With 1.8
Hi all, really would like to do this as insurance and tax is very expensive for 172/182s.
Was wondering roughly what would be cheaper and easier? To buy all parts to bolt on or buy a donor car and swap?
what prices are we talking rougly? Cheers jamie.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 108
this has been discussed many time mate,

everyone will echo the same thing, just bide your time and save your money, its really not worth the expense of converting it, as you could potentially spend the same amount as it would cost to buy and insure a 172

RB 182
There's a lot of things against you i.e finding an engine, fitting it, insurance, brakes and also a bit of a shite looking RS clio, unless you plan to colour code and get all sport bumpers etc which is even more expense.

I'm assuming this is your first car? I had a 1.2 and also thought about doing something like this, luckily I didn't and just had as much fun as I could with my mates driving around, eating fast food and chatting up the car slags, didn't crash and now at 18 years old i'm driving a GTi-6 for fairly reasonable insurance costs.

It's obviously your choice but we have all been in the same place once. Just try and get some no claims and start saving for a 172 :)
It all sounds a bit condescending but I reckon its worth it in the long run

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Tax will be ~£100 a year saving. Insurance will not be a saving.

So, if it costs you £1000 all in (bearing in mind an engine alone is £3-500), it'll be 10 birthdays from now before you're up at least.

Also, bear in mind you can get a (ratty) 172 for <£1000 now....

Clio Cup
The only reason to do it is to not declare it on insurance thats the ins and outs of it. Its more expensive and a whole lot of effort for something you can buy for peanuts anyway

I dont know where i saw it , probably an old Car and Car Conversion magazine (Yep i am that old) where a bloke said

"there is no point building something you can buy" "it will always cost more in the long run"