ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 mk1 or 172 mk2 or cup

ff 182

Hey peeps looking to change my 16v but cant decide on which 1 to go for i want a mk1 but just cant decide please help.

Cheers Pete

Remapped derv Golf

Depends what sort of drive youre after. Id say the MK1 or the CUP is more old school hot hatch. The MK2 has all the gear!!! Although I do think the MK1s seats look better because of the colour logo.

ff 182

i like racing and fun country driving what is the standard spec on a mk1 and mk2 driven a cup was fun but dont know plus there arent many mk1 s about in red

Dont know if you have been out in a MkII 172 but if you want to meet up sometime and Ill take you for a spin. All the cars offer their own + and -. Its just determining what you want and buying the right car.

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 29 March 2004

Mk1 172, more focussed than Mk2 but all the toys that the cup doesnt have

All the "toys" as in air con (not even climate, had air con in my last car and all it does is make you freezing!) The mark 1s handling aint upto much from what ive heard (from a long term owner) So going by that I would say get a 172 Mark 2 and add R SPORT ECU,de-cat and magnex.

Hiya Pete - hows things? Hows the Valver?

Id choose any of the above, with a preference for the Mk1 172 (available in rare metallic red) or a Cup. The problem with these cars is that you can pay a lot between what are essentially the same car - bet you a Mk1 172 with 30k on the clock costs a lot less than a Mk2 or a Cup. The handling is great on all of them.

But if you want to compete with me down the lanes though, youll need a 2.0 Valver or a Williams mate ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 29 March 2004

All the "toys" as in air con (not even climate, had air con in my last car and all it does is make you freezing!) The mark 1s handling aint upto much from what ive heard (from a long term owner) So going by that I would say get a 172 Mark 2 and add R SPORT ECU,de-cat and magnex.
fair dos, i like my air con and my leather/alacantara though. Handling aint up to much? been fine with me so far :D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 29 March 2004

IIRC you cant fit a RSPORT ECU to a mk2 172.

1.4 Fiesta!!!

Get a mk1 172 as there arent as many around as the mk2 and cups. Every time i go out the house i see a mk2 or cup on the roads. Plus the mk1 prices are very low and you can get a good one for under 7k now. Colour wise, try to get a black one if you can if not get silver one and colour-code the bump strips ;)

Oh and the mk1 is faster and looks better :D

**/runs off to hide

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 29 March 2004Yeah you can.

But the ECU controls the airbags in the seats of the 172 which the Cup has never had among other things. Well either way there are much better chips out there.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I picked the mk1 one mainly because I prefer the looks to the mk2

On the road, track and drag strip, Ive yet to find a std mk2 which can hold its own against the mk1 (or maybe its my driving)

In my perfect world, Id have a 172 with the following

- mk2 interior
- cup weight
- mk1 seats
- mk1 front end
- mk2 rear end
- 182 engine

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 30 March 2004

I picked the mk1 one mainly because I prefer the looks to the mk2

On the road, track and drag strip, Ive yet to find a std mk2 which can hold its own against the mk1 (or maybe its my driving)

In my perfect world, Id have a 172 with the following

- mk2 interior
- cup weight
- mk1 seats
- mk1 front end
- mk2 rear end
- 182 engine">- 182 engine
or V6!!!

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 30 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 29 March 2004Yeah you can.

But the ECU controls the airbags in the seats of the 172 which the Cup has never had among other things. Well either way there are much better chips out there.

You can get the R SPORT ECU for the 172, you need to send your engine number to Nick Hill and he can get you one. If you ever want to see the R Sport ECU in action let me know and ill take you for a spin.