ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 mk1 or 306 gti6

don't

how much have you got to spend??

insurance situation, gti-6 will be cheaper to insure and buy etc

172 should be quicker though

VaVa

Er 306, 306, 306. Better car tbh. And thats nothing against the mk1 - If they still made them new Id have had one over my mk2 172.

172 Exclusive

306 is a bigger car and will cost less to buy, but more to run.

Have a test drive of both and see which you prefer, i have a Mk1 172 and my mate has a 306 GTi 6, both are very nice cars.

172beast

Think I can comment on this, just sold my mk1 172 and bought a phase 2 GTi-6. Only had it a few days, its certainly not as quick as the 172 on cam up to say 80/90 and its not as frantic and raw as the 172. Its got a lot lot more torque spread throughout the whole rev range, 6 has a vastly superior box much smoother and precise and generally a more solid feel about it. 6 isnt that fast low down imo, feels slow to 60/70 but as soon as your in 3rd you go through close ratio gears that quick it flys up to 130 easily, feels quicker then my 172 top end.

Twistys it feels more solid and precise, 172 felt a bit wooley on slow tight bends, passive rear wheel steering on the 6 is weird but is good once your used to it.

Brakes are on par with 172, mine seem to fade easy tho, similar size discs tho with ABS.

Comfort, 6 is lot more comfier I find, bigger and handles the bumps better, 172 was pretty harsh imo and torque steered like mad in 1st/2nd/3rd, 6 feels I dunno, more grown up.

Overall Id say the 172 was quicker and more fun but needed thrashing to get anywhere, the 6 feels a lot nicer to drive and has bags of torque combined with a awesome box, doesnt torque steer but flys top end and round country roads the box is just a gem, 2nd gears only really used for very tight bends, most of the time your in 3/4/5 for country lanes.

If I had to choose again Id have bits and bobs out both cars, just pick whichever you like best!

172beast

Mk1 172 doesnt come with 185s as standard??! 15 x 195 x 50, Michelin Pilot SX tyres iirc

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by sar 172 on 09 August 2005

please help me...
In what way!?

Tell us exactly what you want help with and we can advise... Ive owned a Clio 172 Cup, a 306 Rallye and a GTi-6 so am in a good position to help.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 09 August 2005

Mk1 172 on its std wheels and tyres! (185s)
Err, they come with 195/50 R15s as standard, not 185s ;)

172 Exclusive

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 09 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 09 August 2005

Mk1 172 on its std wheels and tyres! (185s)
Err, they come with 195/50 R15s as standard, not 185s ;)

They sure do, i should know as i need a new set of fronts. :D

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 09 August 2005

306 only if it was a Rallye.
Nah, you want the rare phase 1 model that basically weighs the same as a Rallye but has some of the toys.

You dont get stuff like aircon, auto wipers, loads of airbags, etc... but you still get leather & electrics, so the ideal model.

I had a Rallye, then a 172 Cup, then a CTR and now a phase 1 GTi-6

My last car was a gti6 and i have a mk1 172 now.

The clio feels alot newer but the 306 was more fun i think.

The gearbox on the 306 is great and so is the pasive rear steering.

The clio prob a bit quicker, but the 6 speed on the 306 really did help it pull.

172beast

Phase 1 has seperate indicator and headlights on the front, easiest way to distinguish em, cant find any phase 1 pics but front of my phase 2 is below, sure Rich has a pic of his phase 1 so you can see. Phase 1 is the lightest though! Rain sensitive wipers are weird on the phase 2, spun me out when it rained and they got quicker and slower depending on how fast it rained lol

Phase 2
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/GTI6/resized_306.4.jpg

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

There was also a Phase 3 one, near as damn it the same as the P2 but with a few minor tweaks like crystal headlamps & fogs, larger rear spoiler, some silver interior detailing, etc... not as massive change like the P1 to P2.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 09 August 2005

Thats what I meant.

That looks very clean but I think I prefer the newer front end TBH.
Yeah, the newer one is a prettier looking car, but I like the look of the P1s, theyre a bit more agressive IMO

172beast

Yeah phase 1 is more aggresive imo as well, phase 2 is a bit prettier and rounder, as with all new incarnations of cars.

With the age of both these cars youll probably be better off buying whichever car you can find in the best condition.

Both cars are fantastic if theyre well maintained and in good nick but theres not much more depressing than a tired out saggy hot hatch.

172 cup

Id go for a gti-6 over a mk 1 172 for sure. If you had the money go for one of the later phase 2s (theres no such thing as phase 3) as theyre fully colour coded and have a few extras as mentioned before. Speaking from experience i wouldnt buy a phase 1 as the headlights and standard rear lights look crap. If you really wanted a rarer 306 then go for an S16 if you dont mind having an older car.

My main gripe with 306s tho is unless they have half-leather the seats tend to wear badly and the interiors are showing their age.

All IMO of course.