ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Mk2 - Lumpy when cold

S

scottyboy1972

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem with a 172 Mk2.

When running from cold (in morning seems to be worse) , car runs very lumpy and seems to have a lot less power when accerlating (flat spot), but once up to running temperture it seems to be ok again.

I do notice the exhaust seem to make a lot more noise when cold, as if its blowing, but i got this checked out and the garage couldnt find anything, although they did say that tapping the mid section box would reveal a rattle inside.

its off to renault on friday to be looked at just wondered if anyone else had similar problem before i get stung by a big repair bill from renault.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Normal, from a cold start it goes into tree hugging mode where it limits emissions. It also lowers the rev limiter, but you shouldnt really be going near that from cold!

7.6cc :D

I think its pretty normal, my car hates mornings and cold weather, complains and acts like a Kangaroo for the first five minutes, then once the temperature is up hes fine!

133/225/CLS AMG

Ive always found the Clio twitchy when they are not warmed up. I drove a 1.4 Alize and that was really hard to drive smoothly.

Took 15,000 miles for it to drive as Id expect. Im expecting my 172 to loosen up when it gets there as well.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Quote: Originally posted by AlexJMills on 25 April 2005Took 15,000 miles for it to drive as Id expect. Im expecting my 172 to loosen up when it gets there as well.

This is different to the engine loosening up over time.

The engine management goes into a mode (when cold) where for a couple of minutes the engine judders and theres a massive dead band on the accelerator.

With regards to the original poster, Im suprised (or not! its renault after all!) that your dealer isnt aware of this normal behaviour.

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

mine does the same...kangeroo effect thing.....perfectly normal...its fine once it is warm

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by bean on 26 April 2005
Mine is the same, when its really cold I find the trip meter like to reset itself! :confused:

My computer was re-setting itself for ages, then I found out why when the car refused to turn over. Dead Battery. Not saying you have the same problem but worth keeping an eye on.

Soon as I fitted a new battery it hasnt re-set itself since.

Quote: Originally posted by KDF on 26 April 2005

Quote: Originally posted by bean on 26 April 2005

Mine is the same, when its really cold I find the trip meter like to reset itself! :confused:

My computer was re-setting itself for ages, then I found out why when the car refused to turn over. Dead Battery. Not saying you have the same problem but worth keeping an eye on.

Soon as I fitted a new battery it hasnt re-set itself since.
Thx, Ill keep an eye on that although Ive never had problems starting the car.

The trip meter only reset when we had snow, zero degrees or colder. I thought it was funny and put in down to French build quality :p