ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Motorpoint

Hi I will be a 172 owner in a few weeks, just looking for the best place to buy a silver 172. Looking at Motorpoint car supermarker, rang em up and they told me the cars come in from cyprus. Am i right i say that i will only get 1years warrenty and that i wont claim the extra 2 years off Renault? :cry:
I was also told by another source that the whole Renault factory shuts down over August. So i basically by one from a car supermarket or have to wait till september!?
Anyone got any ideas where i can get hold of one? dont mind import as long as i can get the 3year warrenty, as im aware these cars do have thier problems. I dont want buy from renault due to the cost and wait.
Any helps good Thanks.

yeah i live next door 2 trade sales!! they had some in last week i was too slow , the usually helpful salesmans response to whether they were gettin anymore in was, "dunno mate, might do" as i said very helpful.

Ok they were quite helpful, they said i could only get 2years warrenty and that renault wouldnt do the extra 3rd year? Is this right as im sure i read on here before that people with imports were getting a full 3year warrenty.

P.s The alarms are £160 or £240 for a CAT1 - Sigam (oh what quaily!)

Lee

BMW M2C

So far most people who have tried have got 3 years AFAIK. The Supermarkets tend to tell you that you wont get 3 as they want you to buy one from them.

Maybe Renault have changed there policy again. Ive not applied for mine yet. Just waiting to get my first service stamp.

Ive got a Sigma alarm, oddly enough!!

Humm i feel a phone call to Reno themselves. With a tape recorder on the phone call!! Really sont wanna get shafted over this 3rd year warrenty, as i going to be do milage over these next 2 years and thing will start falling off after 2 years im sure of that!

Anyone got the number? Thanks

Lee

BMW M2C

When I asked Motorhouse I think he said there cars were from Belgium.

European Union
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

These are joining in 2004

Cyprus
The Czech Republic
Estonia
Hungary
Latvia
Lithuania
Malta
Poland
Slovakia
Slovenia

Lee

BMW M2C

LOL, things will fall off after 2 weeks :cry:

When I called Renault I got told that none EU cars had 3 years, then I hung up, called again and got told the opposite, which was at the time correct!!

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 26 June 2003

isnt there something about the belgian cars not putting out full power due to some emissions thing
Ive heard loads of stories like that. I have no idea which are true. Allegedly Belgian cars have a little less HP due to a tax break or something. I was told cars from Holland have one less silencer!! God knows if thats true, but mine does sound louder than my mates car. Probably because mine gets the thrashing it was built for, and he tootles around!!

Lee

BMW M2C

Must be the clogs rattling.:D

My mate went blasting past my house the other day and his was lot quieter than mine, it sounded a lot more whiney.

Humm so if they are joining the EU in 2004....
Interesting coz then the car would technincally be from the EU. This is way more complicated than i thought, i just wanna avoid the slimmy Reno salesman, who made me drive a 100mile round trip just to test drive the car! Then the bloke who came out with me on the test drive insisted that we could only drive round 30MPH roads and that i could only drive it for around 10mins. NOT HAPPY. Think i got into second gear.
Compare this to honda who let me out in the CTR for 45mins, and the sales man demostrated the cars 120+(ahmm) speed. Then let me test the full potential of the car.
If only i had got that pay rise this post would be on the CTR board right now!!

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 26 June 2003

isnt there something about the belgian cars not putting out full power due to some emissions thing
AFAIK its true, there are 2 172 clios available in Belgium I believe, a 165bhp (max lower tax bracket) and the 172bhp version. But Ive never tried to buy one in belgium so this could just be chinese whispers banana crocodile flan.

Lee

BMW M2C

Thats one of the reasons I got mine from a Supermarket. I couldt get Renault to take my money no matter how hard I tried. The Honda dealer were great, I just prefered the Clio.

It was a new guy at the Honda dealer, so he had only driven the CTR once. He was amazed what it could do when I was driving it!!

Rob

Cars from outside the EU dont get the extra warranty as it applies only to cars sourced within the EU. Also the original warranty starts from 1st registration in that country, not when it turns up in the UK at the supermarket. The best bet is to ensure that the car is EU sourced originally and check when it was first supplied

Ah see your point, so if the car has been registered somewhere in the EU the warrenty starts then, NOT when u buy the car of the forecourt. So you could only end up with 1/2 warrenty. This is bad. Might have to coaks my current car along for a little longer so i can buy a full UK spec car from a dealer such as "Drive the deal"
Any one used them. I know Reno quote 6weeks, anyone experianced any variance on this?

My brother bought a 172 from trade-sales and the car came from cyprus so trade sales told him it only had a 1 year warranty and flogged him a extended warranty themselves. Recently his car went in for some work in the first year, and renault told him it was automatically covered by a three year warranty.. He phone renault customer services , gave them the VIN and they confirmed it had a 3 year warranty and sent him a confirmation letter, and he was subsequently able to get the money for his warranty back from trade-sales.

So something strange is going on as renault told me my dutch import bought a couple of months earlier only had a 2 year warranty unless I sent some docs in, yet my brother didnt have to do anything to get the 3 year warranty on his.

My advice would be to ring Renault with the VIN no before you part with the cash. Just ask them about the original country of origin. If its EU destined youre cool for 3 years. Ive hear all sort of bollox about cyprus cars not have anti-corrosion etc.

Maybe Renault are having a rethink about Cyprus cars if theyre joining EU soon. Must be some euro human rights issue.