ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 n00bie

Afternoon All

I could do with a bit of advice please. I am currently looking for a Clio 172 but am sure which to go for so i thought id ask the experts?

Should i go for a Mark I or a Mark II? Is there much difference between them?

Ive looked at a couple with 60K on them. Is there any problem with these cars at around this mileage?

Thanks a lot
Si

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Mk1 is lighter, some come with alu bonnet. (doesnt mean they are faster in real life though eh mike ;))

Over 50% of the parts where changed/new between the mk1 and mk2 172. Personally I like the mk2 a lot more than the mk1 but thats only my opinion.

Your gonna be able to get a mk1 for cheaper than a mk2, if you decide to get a mk2 you then have to decide if you want the Cup version or the standard 172.

[Edited by _KDF on 7/23/2004 2:37:58 PM]

Thanks guys.

I quite fancy the Mk1 coz i think it looks a bit nicer (no offence to all those Mk2 owners ;) )

Anything i should be looking for? Any common problems on Mk1?

Fiesta ST Stage 3

too much power too many people looking and too much respect and all you get is cars that want to race you. Its a hard life having a mk 1 :D

172 cup

You will need to investigate the differences between the cup version and standard version if you go the mk2 route.

I went for a cup because I chose to have a lighter more raw car, at the expense of ABS and Air con. Also, the cup is a better car for the track, and thats my intention.

Having drove the 172 standard car also, it didnt feel as raw as the cup and for me, removed some of the fun. But it really does depend what you like.

Comes down to what you want really.

I say 172 Mk1 all the way - I think its a rawer car than the mk2. mk2 introduced some nice refinments/comforts but was toned down a little (Cup excluded) I.M.O.

I know the cup is quick but then you trade some comforts off. Pound for pound I think a well kept mk1 is the way to go !

No doubt some will disagree ....