ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 - not starting first time from cold

tiTTy & SV650
I'm having to persuade the car to start in the mornings, it's been sub-zero for about 3 weeks now pretty much which has to have something to do with it.

Basically I turn the key to start the car and the starter motor turns fine, no issues with the battery. But I have to pump the accelerator a few times when turning the ignition to get it to come to life.

Battery was replaced last year, I gave the car a run yesterday thinking maybe the battery just needed a bit of charge but it still did it this morning.

Car drives fine once started and will start again no problem when warm.

What's likely, spark or fuel?

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Mine was similar to this, battery was on its way out (Mind you once it was going it was fine until left overnight) so it might be worth trying a new one if you have a chance.
Maybe the oil you are using is too think on cold start ?

Shy of that maybe one of the sensors, but that would have caused problems out of the cold times.

tiTTy & SV650
Cheers, battery is a calcium high current jobby from Halfrauds and only a year old so I wouldn't have suspected it personally. I'll connect my motorcycle optimate to it to check its health and see.

If it is the battery I have a receipt for 4 years guarantee at least.

Cheers

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
You could always check the water in the current battery, apparently if its low it can cause problems

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mines been fine, no issues whatsover, and my battery is the one from new.

Throttle body maybe?

tiTTy & SV650
Battery appears to be in good health and is charging from the alternator, diagnosis is just under fuelling due to extreme cold.

Blip the throttle to give it some fuel and it splutters into life.

-12°C this morning and -7°C just now