ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 not starting - Solid red light

PB 172 ph2
I know there's a few of these threads about the place, but mine's _slightly_ different.

I turn the key, the red light stays illuminated, but the starter does not engage. I just get a "click" sound from a relay but nothing more. I got a similar problem about a year ago, but from some luck more than judgement it went away.

The battery was replaced less than a year ago. I also replaced the earth strap between the gearbox and the chassis.

Would I be right in thinking that there is a comms issue for the red light to stay illuminated?

Cheers for any help,

Stu

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I’d just start at the basics and press that reset red button in the engine bay. If that doesn’t work, then it could be earth strap/wiring

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
If you only get a click then it's likely to be the starter motor. You would still get one or two cranks even if you had an immobiliser issue. Then again the red light should be going out so you might have two problems.

See if you can push start the car.

Come back and let us know if that works

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
I get this issue when the battery in my key fob gets low and messes with the immobiliser (doesn't crank) 🤷‍♂️

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I know there's a few of these threads about the place, but mine's _slightly_ different.

I turn the key, the red light stays illuminated, but the starter does not engage. I just get a "click" sound from a relay but nothing more. I got a similar problem about a year ago, but from some luck more than judgement it went away.

The battery was replaced less than a year ago. I also replaced the earth strap between the gearbox and the chassis.

Would I be right in thinking that there is a comms issue for the red light to stay illuminated?

Cheers for any help,

Stu

First of all check the battery earth is connected properly. They can be loose and cause solid earth issues.

Next up put the key into the ignition, turn to accessory whilst holding down the lock button. Do this for 20 seconds.
Next turn back off and try start it.

Another thing you can try is locking with the fob and then locking with the button in the car on and off a few times.

If none of the above works try just leaving the key in the ignition got 2 minutes at the accessory setting.

Finalllyyyy disconnect the big white plug and inspect for any corrosion. Give this a clean with some contact cleaner aswell as the relays and reassemble.

PB 172 ph2
PXL_20210729_183459835.jpg
well that doesn't inspire confidence in the rest of the electrics. No bloody idea what that yellow wire is for, but that T join is rough as hell.

Out of about 20 attempts the red light went out once, but I still got the click.

I can't bump start on my road as it's on a hill and I'll never get it back up.

I've tried locking/unlocking many times and combos. I've pulled all the relays and fuses. Checked the white plug, all looks spotless inside the plug.

The lilac coloured relay had a bit of corrosion on one pin. I cleaned it up best I could but it has eaten away slightly so I'll order a new one of those. Doubt it's causing my red light issue though.

Attachments

• PXL_20210729_190018877.jpg
    PXL_20210729_190018877.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20210729_190024614.jpg
    PXL_20210729_190024614.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 1550594well that doesn't inspire confidence in the rest of the electrics. No bloody idea what that yellow wire is for, but that T join is rough as hell.

Out of about 20 attempts the red light went out once, but I still got the click.

I can't bump start on my road as it's on a hill and I'll never get it back up.

I've tried locking/unlocking many times and combos. I've pulled all the relays and fuses. Checked the white plug, all looks spotless inside the plug.

The lilac coloured relay had a bit of corrosion on one pin. I cleaned it up best I could but it has eaten away slightly so I'll order a new one of those. Doubt it's causing my red light issue though.
All those red cables are also exposed. That's terrible!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Sounds nuts abs excuse me for questioning it. But have you checked the urgent battery charge? That wiring is a mess and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s drawing power and flattening the battery.

PB 172 ph2
Sounds nuts abs excuse me for questioning it. But have you checked the urgent battery charge? That wiring is a mess and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s drawing power and flattening the battery.
PXL_20210729_200446796.jpg
the voltage looks good.

I just went to start it and the red light went out again then I got a few dash lights flickering.