ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Oil Change

My car has now done 1200 miles, been thinking of changing the oil and filter at 1500 miles for magnatec. Good idea ? How much should I be looking to pay for this and where should I take it ? Renault or normal garage ?

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

I will be doing the same soon (1000 miles), I am getting it done at a local garage by friends, Renualt informed me they dont mind who does it. Oil wise I dont think it matters as long as it conforms to what Renualt recommends as stated in a previous thread.

Just checked my oil now and it is just under halfway on the dipstick, maybe I should change the oil and filter sooner rather than later ?

S2000

Yes I think you should!!! Half way!

Just go for any 5W - 40W rated fully synth oil, then you cant go far wrong.

Im having to top the oil up about every month, I do drive the card relatively hard tho! Craggy how much r u using on yer Williams, I know you dont exactly hold back!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Daipac just make sure you use a proper Renault filter. 172s seem to use a shedfull of oil in the first few thousand miles, then they use practically none at all.

Should I be worried that it is halfway ? Shall I not drive the car till I can top it up ? I was going to take it to my local Renault dealer to get an oil (which I will provide) and filter change, how much am I looking at ?

Anybody got any advice about what I should do about the oil ? Should I get it changed ASAP ? Also, how much am I looking to spend on an oil and filter change if I provide the oil ? What oil grade should I be using too ?

GR7

Shiny red R32

I asked a friend of mine who used to be a Renault mechanic for nine years and he said it is a waste of money changing the oil so soon in a new car.

GR7

Shiny red R32

By the way he is still a mechanic but in a proper garage, rather than a dealer.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Go to dealer:
Say: my car doesnt seem to have much oil. Is there a problem? Act like a consumer complaining about a washing machine. With any luck theyll top it up for you for free (they did mine!)

An oil & filter change at a main dealer will cost the thick end of £70.

Cheers Mike, I will do that and see what they say. I have only had it a month or so so it should have more oil than that surely ? Do you know what oil the 172s come with anyway ? Make and Grade ?

Cheers Mike, I will go to my local dealer and play dumb, not that I have to try that hard to look dumb !

Cheers for the link too !

Went to see my dealer and they said they would charge me and they would check it to see if there was an oil leak if I checked it in but I know there is not a leak and I do not want them messing around with the car so I am going to top it up myself.

I am going to go and buy some oil, is normal Elf 5w40 grade oil ok or is there a special brand ? To people who have done this, what did you buy ?

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Dai

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I changed mine with Castrol GTX Magnatec(10w40) cos it does exactly what it says on the tin, and its cheaper than Mobil 1!!!

GP, I assume you CHANGED it and not topped it up ? Be good to find out the general consensus on this, should I change the oil and filter or just top up the existing oil ?

I really should take a course in car maintenance !

it really wont make a diff which oil u use....really
me and capt have been saying this the last 3 times this topic has popped up.
oil brand, type, marketing ploy etc doensnt matter. what does is that its the same grade as recommemnded by renault (as the engine was designed for it).

as for changing, if you can be bothered, then change the oil...its only a 1/2 hr job.
if not, top it up....up to you.
if its new, then yeah, why not change it...you can check for swarf whilst your there.

BenR, cheers for that. As for changing the oil, I assumed I would need to change the filter at the same time and I have no idea how to do this ? I know nothing about the mechanical side of the car as you can tell.

filter.....find it, twist off then twist on. you can get a filter remover/fitting tool from halfords.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

BenR and Daipac,

I did an oil and filter change at 1k and to get the filter off I had to use a tool as it is ackward to get to and once you do get to it the oil filter is hard to turn in that position.

I am a complete muppet when it comes to stuff like this, I would not trust myself to do it myself.

I have been reading previous threads on oil and it just confuses me. Semi Synth or Synth, 5w40 or 10w40, change or top up ! ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH !

just buy the required amount of the same grade oil as it says in the handbook....empty engine, then fillup again.
semi of fully synth, up to you.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Daipac,

I am sure that one of the other members who lives near you with a little knowledge would help you out m8.

Where do you live ?

CB, I live in Swansea and the only person close is Cheesebox, spoke to him last night and he is having problems with his 172 when idle so I am out of luck ! I was going to just go and buy some Elf or Castrol 5w40 semi synth and just top up the oil, I am just confused by all the other areas being described.

BenR, without the filter changed would be fine ?

Apologies for keeping on....

Mike, tried that and they said because I did not buy the car from them then it is not their fault it is low on oil !

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Daipac do you want me to take some photos and run through how to do it m8. I can take photos to show you what bits to undo etc etc ?

CB, if you do that then I would be very grateful mate, could you e-mail them to me or you could post them on here, I hope I am not the only person on here who has no clue.... then again !

My e-mail addy is daipac@hotmail.com.

Cheers, much appreciated.

i would change the filter, it would only take an extra 5 mins.

once youve done it youll think it was stupidly easy.

Right, so after 1300 miles in the car, I should change the filter and oil for 5w40 Semi-Synth oil ? If CB can show me how to do this and it is easy enough then I am sure my old man would be able to help me out. Just get the filter from Renault parts dept. ? How much should that cost ?

Thanks for your help (and patience) with this guys, mucho appreciated !

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

OK what I will do is take some photos and write a short description on how to etc ASAP should be before the end of the week. As to the oil I can give you the rating (ACEA 3) that you need to find on the oil bottle, as to which brand you buy its upto you.

As to the parts - This was from Renualt cause I used their genuine parts. Oil filter was around £6. The one I got was exactly the same as the old one which was blue and had gold writing on it not that it really maters on the colour. The oil I got was £16 but you can pay alot more if you so wish. I got fully syn for my piece of mind.

basically, use whatever grade the handbook says to use. The get some oil of that grade you like...wether it be mobil 1, magnatec, elf, or halfords.

The let the car cool down a little, till you can put you hand on top of the engine and its mildly warm.

-put a big oil tray (or any container that can hold the oil thats gonna come out) under the sump drain plug.
undo it, you will got oil on your hands, so have cloth close.

-go to the top of the engine and take off the oil filler cap (will help the oil drain out faster.

-wait till its all gone.
-discard oil in the correct manner.
-unscrew filter (oil will come out)
-new filter will have the rubber seal dry, put a little clean oil on the rubber seal with you finger. then screw it on....some people say fill it up first, but itll just spill everywhere!

top up the car with the correct amount...or just keep checking the dipstick level. Turn over the engine so you can circulate oil through all the oilways, then check dipstick again....full? no...top up....yes, finished.

CB, thanks for that, I will get the filter from Renault, the one you desribe and I think I am going to go with Maganatec with that oil grade on it (that you stated). 1300 miles is not too soon to change over to full synthetic then ? When did you change yours CB ?

BenR, you make it sound so easy, that doesnt sound too hard. Should be much easier again with CBs pics too !

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

BenRs instruction are spot on except I took of the plastic bash tray from under the car so I wouldnt get oil all over it (2 Bolts hold it on).

I did my change at 1k for own piece of mind.

{flame suit on}

As far as I was aware all fully syn means is the oil is more likely to stay within tollerances when being push to extremes (Well my view anyway)

{/Flame Suit Off}

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I only chose the GTX magnatec cos it is supposed to:

"Give protection from the moment you turn the key"

And I like the sound of that!!!

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Err... m8 had a tool that looked like a piece of metal strapping which I used to crack it open then undid it by hand.

Jeremy Beadles hand would be ideal for this well his smaller hand would anyway.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

So is this special tool for this job or is just some kinky toy that you had lying around!!?

Where do you get one from (Ann Summmers?)