ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 on 15s

clio 172
Hi guys so I'm looking to buy some new wheals for my 172 track car iv found these JR wheals I want on drift works. But I'm not sure what size and offset I should be getting they do 15x7 and 15x8 could I get away with the 8s ? They Also do ET 20 25 and 30 any help would be much appreciated. I don't want the car to rub as it will be used on track but I also want it looking as good as possible so the more they poke out the better.
The car is lowered on coilovers.
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
15 x 7 with a 30mm offset would be fine and with a 195/50/15 common tyre size

clio 172
15 x 7 with a 30mm offset would be fine and with a 195/50/15 common tyre size

Thanks for your reply. Would 30mm offset give it a quite flush fitment on the arch ? I have 15mm spacers on the rear and 25mm on the front and it's giving me the fitment I want with no rub and was hoping to get the same fitment without spacers.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
If you're happy with how your current wheels sit, see what offset they are, minus how ever wide the spacers you currently have on then pick the closest offset that the new wheels come in.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
You wouldn't need spacers with et30 wheels I don't think, as mine are et35 and sit near to the arch

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Thanks for your reply. Would 30mm offset give it a quite flush fitment on the arch ? I have 15mm spacers on the rear and 25mm on the front and it's giving me the fitment I want with no rub and was hoping to get the same fitment without spacers.

Depends on what offset your current wheels are.
As an example, if your current wheels are a 45mm offset, then it would be the same with a 20mm offset wheel and no spacer on the front, and a 30mm offset wheel with no spacer on the rear.
If you start using low offset wheels and spacers then you put extra load onto the wheel bearings and it changes the steering geometry.

clio 172
Thanks for you replies does anyone know what offset the standard 16 inch 172 wheels are ? Also would I get away with the 8 inch wide ones ?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Standard 172 alloys are 7x16 ET48.

So your current setup is:
• 15mm spacers on the rear: 48-15 = equivalent of ET33
• 25mm spacers on the front: 48-25 = equivalent of ET23

Your new 15" rims with 195/50 tyres will have almost the same wheel/tyre diameter as your original 195/45/16.

clio 172
Standard 172 alloys are 7x16 ET48.

So your current setup is:
• 15mm spacers on the rear: 48-15 = equivalent of ET33
• 25mm spacers on the front: 48-25 = equivalent of ET23

Your new 15" rims with 195/50 tyres will have almost the same wheel/tyre diameter as your original 195/45/16.

That's really helpful thanks would I be able to go 8 inch wide ?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
That's really helpful thanks would I be able to go 8 inch wide ?
That, however, I don't know 🙈.

What I have read is that going wider than 205 tyres starts getting dubious regards rubbing. So 215 tyres which are 10mm wider might cause probs. By going with an 8 inch (25mm wider) wheel sounds excessive to me. Just semi-educated guessing on my part. I know you want it to look good, and I get that :blush:, but have a search for some pictures because there are some handsome looking Clios on track running 7" wheels. 8", imho, might start to look a bit gash :eek:penmouth:.

On track I would have thought you'd be better saving a bit of weight with a narrower wheel :up:.

clio 172
That, however, I don't know 🙈.

What I have read is that going wider than 205 tyres starts getting dubious regards rubbing. So 215 tyres which are 10mm wider might cause probs. By going with an 8 inch (25mm wider) wheel sounds excessive to me. Just semi-educated guessing on my part. I know you want it to look good, and I get that :blush:, but have a search for some pictures because there are some handsome looking Clios on track running 7" wheels. 8", imho, might start to look a bit gash :eek:penmouth:.

On track I would have thought you'd be better saving a bit of weight with a narrower wheel :up:.
That's a good point thanks for your advice

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
8j wheels really won't work for a track car clio I don't think

from various searches around everyone runs 15x7j wheels or there abouts, from a quick search I found this thread with a guy who fitted 15x8j Rota grid wheels which imo does not work at all, but I prefer function over form so it's entirely down to you, but it's more a look for the stretched tyres rubbed arch kind of crowd.

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/finally-fitted-the-8x15-rota-grid-vs.626328/

clio 172
So after everyone's advice I finally got my new wheels really happy with how it came out
80844efda29aad858c7bc4f25f96ba85.jpg
00216e6dde662f9826fd922428c46078.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
a832b18317fd3c61ccdf1d6a0dcc5780.jpg

Same as mine bud same specs with looks of your pics too [emoji108] good decision they look great