ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 on a.......

M

mij29

Thinkin of puttin my 172ff on a slight diet.
Goin to get rid of the spare wheel, jack and the tool tray thing and get one of them things from halfrauds that blow your tyre up and also puts that foam stuff to seal the puncture. I know it won't make a huge difference but every little helps don't it?
Anybody else bothered doing this?:approve:

Caterham 1400 Supersport
Yup, i've ran like this since I bought it. I made up a simple MDF 'coffee table' to go underneath the boot lining so I can still place heavy items in there.

I have had two punctures in the last year, one that was fixed by the foam, and one that completely shredded the tyre on the M6 on a friday night. Nothing that couldn't be fixed by Yozzasport and the RAC though. Well worth it for me, I will continue to run with no spare, although the space may be filled with an LPG tank if I ever get round to it!

Megane225FF
Never heard the one about having to carry a jack... why would you need to?
"The condition of the spare tyre is not part of the MOT"

UR 197, AB 182 FF
What is the deal about carrying a busted spare then? I thought you could get done for it, but not for carrying no spare at all.

Scirocco GT 210
I took the spare, tool kit, back seats and all the mats out of my car, weighed in at 45kg. Ran it like that for a couple of weeks. Would have taken the passenger seat out too if I knew how to.

Didn't really make any difference.

thedoc said:
Never heard the one about having to carry a jack... why would you need to?
"The condition of the spare tyre is not part of the MOT"

If you look at any car with run flat tyres or, like the 182, with the foamy stuff they all have jacks. Apparently it's the law...

M

mij29

might leave it then if it's going to make a difference to how it handles.

Ive never heard that one about the jack either. my lady's got a mni cooper, thats not got a jack spare wheel or anything but has got run flats on.
maybe it's against the law to sell a car with out a jack but as for carring one i'm not sure.

mij29 said:
Goin to get rid of the spare wheel, jack and the tool tray thing and get one of them things from halfrauds that blow your tyre up and also puts that foam stuff to seal the puncture. I know it won't make a huge difference but every little helps don't it?
Dont really see the point tbh:S

mij29 said:
my lady's got a mni cooper, thats not got a jack spare wheel or anything but has got run flats on.
maybe it's against the law to sell a car with out a jack but as for carring one i'm not sure.

The Mini should have a jack. I test drove a Cooper S and the dealer actually said that the jack has to be there even though it's not needed!?!?

M

mij29

maybe i haven't looked hard enough then, sayin that though the boot will be full with a jack in it. lol

mij29 said:
maybe i haven't looked hard enough then, sayin that though the boot will be full with a jack in it. lol

That's why the dealer mentioned it to me, talking about boot space etc... and why there was a jack although the car had run flats.

Has she had the car from new or could the previous owner have removed it!?!?

On the weight front, day to day is there really any noticeable gain to shedding a few kilos? You can't drive these cars to anywhere near their limits on the road so what do you gain by losing 20Kgs?

M

mij29

chiefsilverback said:
That's why the dealer mentioned it to me, talking about boot space etc... and why there was a jack although the car had run flats.

she had it second hand so it could be missin.

M

mij29

chiefsilverback said:
On the weight front, day to day is there really any noticeable gain to shedding a few kilos? You can't drive these cars to anywhere near their limits on the road so what do you gain by losing 20Kgs?

not much i suppose, it was just an idea really.
Does anybody know how much lighter the cup is than the full fat?

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
chiefsilverback said:

Run flats........ I don't know of any clio that runs them as stnd?

The jack is there to raise the car when you use the tyre foam...

I don't believe for one second it's against the law not to carry a jack....

M

mij29

Notorious said:
Run flats........ I don't know of any clio that runs them as stnd?

The jack is there to raise the car when you use the tyre foam...

I don't believe for one second it's against the law not to carry a jack....

he was talkin about a mini there mate.
I never thought about that though, jacking it when you put the foam in.
you don't jack it when you are just fillin it with air though. is that what you have to do when you use foam in a can... jack it??

Caterham 1400 Supersport
mij29 said:
is that what you have to do when you use foam in a can... jack it??

No, the instructions on my can don't mention the jack at any point, simply putting the puncture at the lowest point, so the foam will flow into the hole. I found I lost a fair bit before it sealed, then it worked well, and WELL in excess of the recommended 50mph limit (It was whilst I was sprinting)!:eek:

Monaco Blue 172
mij29 said:
thats not a diet, thats liposuction ;) hehe

interesting point about the legal requirement for jack etc. i've always thought that the spare tyre being ignored for the MOT was something of a double standard!

M2 Competition
I did this to mine.

Arent they meant to come like this? my cup came with 5 turinis though, think the guy befoe me put a spare in the boot... lol.

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
Has anyone that has shred weight off their car ever thought that they are ruining the car's weight distribution, thus hampering the handling?