ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 172 cup?

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Which Is the better of the two? Im undecided! Although, I have my eye on a certain petrol blue 182 atm :p

Also, what to look for when viewing?

cheers

172 Cup
It depends on what your after as to what is deemed 'best' imo.

If you can live without your creature comforts such as air con etc which a full fat 172 comes with (I certainly can) then imo you should go for a Cup. They are rarer than a full fat 172 but with this comes the fact they generally tend to have a bigger premium than a normal 172. If you do like a car with these features and its mainly used for daily commuting then go for the normal 172.

They are both great cars but i like the fact that cups are 'special' and are a 'raw' experience of the RS 1*2.

Things to looks out for; belts change, servicing, knocks from the suspension components, all of the usual things when checking a car over really.

260% JCW
I'm not bias as i don't own a cup, but for me there is something about the extra rawness of the Cup. I know a Ph1 may be lighter but i'm not a fan of the ph1 front end or interior. After owning a normal 1*2 i could live without the extra comforts.

A Silver Cup would be my choice, uber rare.

Seat Ibiza
I'm not bias as i don't own a cup, but for me there is something about the extra rawness of the Cup. I know a Ph1 may be lighter but i'm not a fan of the ph1 front end or interior. After owning a normal 1*2 i could live without the extra comforts.

I see where your coming from, but I use 172 as a daily and have never done and properly never will do a track day, but the 'extra comforts' I don't think I could live without, the AC is perfect at clearing the screen first thing in the morning, auto wipers are good and the auto xenon lights are brilliant!

Just my two-pence.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
ha ha, sorry Revels. I've only had the 182!

I am more fond of the cups for some reason.

I have the xenons, leather, climate in the vee.

Anything is better than whats in the 1.2 tbh, no air con, xenons etc! Although the interior is abit poor in the cups, but small price to pay.

And Jesus, I pay my membership, Im using it.

Never owned or even driven a "normal" 172 so couldn't tell you which is better.

I love my Cup. I've no doubt I'd love a 172 as well.

The factor of the colour and nicer wheels swung it for me in the end. I can live without the extra comforts.

got a silver cup myself.. always wanted a cup since before i could drive and when i seen my silver one on the forcourt i knew i had to have it.. use mine as a daily with no problems at all.. do have the optional AC although its never been used...

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I bought a cup as it was the only 172 I hadn't owned. The lack of air con ain't a problem for me (cheaper cambelt prices!) and the seats although not leather / alcantara are still really comfy.

Abarth 595
The air con alone was enough for me to choose a normal 172. Some people 'can live without it', I cant.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
the non aircon (for cheaper belts/dephaser change - cos i'd budget one for any clio id bought unless it was a totally vouched for one off here), turinis and cup spoiler swayed it for me. mine had recaros in too so that was a bonus cos the main thing putting me off a cup are the seats.
never had a car with auto xenons and wipers before and have never used AC in this country!

ive had 2 ph1s and now the cup and wouldnt say cup is any faster, but defo stiffer and has much sharper steering (in my opinion of course).

I'd go for a Cup.

For one it's cheaper to run and it doesn't have Xenon's and doesn't have A/C so servicing is cheaper (cambelt work and air con issues)

Number two, it's lighter, even if only marginally I like knowing that an attempt has been made to make this a classic small and light hatch. This also means marginally better performance, again not noticeable but there you go.

The seats are good, but they don't look as good as the full leather ones and possibly aren't as comfortable, but they are comfy enough and still offer support.

It depends if you can do without the A/C (a plus for me), no Xenons and no posher looking seats. There will also be marginally more road noise due to the weigh saving measures. The choice is slightly more comfort or slightly more raw driver's car, not that a 172 isn't already, far from it. The latter appeals much more to me.

There is no such thing as a full fat 172 though, so don't know why some people mention that term when discussing 172's.

320d
Cup's look a lot better. It all depends whether you want the extras or not. Personally I wouldn't have a cup because I like my climate, xenons etc. Horses for courses really.

Audi A3
depends what you want.

if you want a 'drivers car' im some peoples opinions then a cup, yes. if you want a car for everyday driving and the odd spirited drive then id say a normal 172. people say cups are cheaper to maintain, that maybe the case but also more expensive to buy? in my opinion i dont see a great deal of difference. i enjoy creature comforts, some are not bothered. if youre sat on the fence then just buy one on its condition/history etc etc

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Get a cup of you can do without the 'comforts'

It's nice to know you own something unique and special.

Clio 172
I was looking for a cup when I bought mine but got a mint low mileage 172 instead. Dont regret it at all. Still got the performance and still enjoy trackdays in it, with the bonus of xenons, AC and better looking seats

PB Clio 172
It depends on what your after as to what is deemed 'best' imo.

If you can live without your creature comforts such as air con etc which a full fat 172 comes with (I certainly can) then imo you should go for a Cup. They are rarer than a full fat 172 but with this comes the fact they generally tend to have a bigger premium than a normal 172. If you do like a car with these features and its mainly used for daily commuting then go for the normal 172.

They are both great cars but i like the fact that cups are 'special' and are a 'raw' experience of the RS 1*2.

Things to looks out for; belts change, servicing, knocks from the suspension components, all of the usual things when checking a car over really.

no such thing as a FF172 :rasp:

Listerine & Poledo
proper 172 FTW.

Chances of noticing the 0.1 to 60 or the 0.1 lateral G extra from a Cup as a daily? Minimal.

Chances of noticing cruise, climate, xenon, 1/2 leather and sound deadening, every day? Maximum

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
proper 172 FTW.

Chances of noticing the 0.1 to 60 or the 0.1 lateral G extra from a Cup as a daily? Minimal.

Chances of noticing cruise, climate, xenon, 1/2 leather and sound deadening, every day? Maximum

This comments like a MasterCard advert!

on motorway with cruise control on at 75 with air con breeze in your face sat in comfy and good looking seats. Priceless ;-)

Listerine & Poledo
or you could sit on some cheap cloth with ambeint-temp air being puffed at you as you stare at your speedo to make sure you dont get bummed by average speed cameras

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
or you could sit on some cheap cloth with ambeint-temp air being puffed at you as you stare at your speedo to make sure you dont get bummed by average speed cameras

Or you could do that :) well said.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
proper 172 FTW.

Exactly why i chose a proper 172 and my dad said not having abs was a bit dim!

Ibiza SC
I've had my Cup for two years, and use it as a daily. No air con doesn't bother me, or xenons, the seats are comfy enough for me and the road noise I'm used to. I love it and never want to sell it, I chose it for looks alone but the driving experience is superb, plus the added rarity is nice too. Anytime I do see another cup owner we always acknowledge eachother.

Belts are a definite thing to check, as well as the suspension parts, I've recently replaced shocks and springs.

172 cup
I went for a cup a coming from always having older cars as toys the lack of comforts didn't really bother me as I didn't notice they were missing.The interior is pretty shite in either model to be honest but both are comfy enough for long journeys etc.That said the lights on it are not that great with standard bulbs but with decent bulbs in they are ok.

Cheers Ross.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Or you could be sat on some cheap cloth, with ambient air being puffed at you knowing you bought the best looking most focused Mk2 Clio made.

Lets be fair sitting on cheap 'pleather' and crap scattered Xenons does not make the standard 172 some kind of luxury car.

;)

Ah forgot to say, it would be nice to have cruise control if you do a lot of motorway miles. The only thing I miss is that plus the twin exhausts that the 182 has!

I still say get a Cup though. If you want something nicer and have about an extra grand spare then do a proper job and get a 182FF

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I can see me getting another MK2 in a year or so when I actually buy a house. It will probably be another Cup tbh, maybe try a Silver one with Climate ;)

260% JCW
Ah forgot to say, it would be nice to have cruise control if you do a lot of motorway miles. The only thing I miss is that plus the twin exhausts that the 182 has!

I still say get a Cup though. If you want something nicer and have about an extra grand spare then do a proper job and get a 182FF

To be fair i think the 2 straws the 182 has as an exhaust are embarrassing.