ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or Ibiza 20VT

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Been speaking to the old man as ive decided my car is going and its time for something new. He has agreed to give me some money towards a new car and loan me the rest intrest free. Ill probs have about 7/8k to spend in the new year.

Now ive scaled my list down to one of these two cars. I have looked at others but these are the best two options for me with insurance and running costs ect.

Now i could either get me a phs 2 172. (I think you all know theyre spec!)

Or

Ibiza 20VT - Only 156bhp but can be remapped to see 205bhp and 240 ft/lbs of torque for £500. Nice interior and is pretty much a VW with good build quality and a bit of Weight to it. These can be picked up for 7k with low miles leaving me remap money.

What would you have? Im swayed toward the Ibiza

don't

loved pjvtss old ibiza before he totalled it so id head towards that, test drive both though and see what you prefer

is insurance quite similar?

not a bad looking or bad built bit of kit but every review i saw put the 172 against the 180 "R" variant that had the OZs Brembos and recaros and even then the 172 always came out top. Good in a staight line well built and good looking but ultimately not as good a car in particularly in terms of handling.

120d Sport

172 mate....even with 200BHP in the Ibiza it will still feel slow due to its weight...plus the 172 will out handle the Ibiza no problem......what about Civic Type R....exhaustsystem, manifold, induction kit plus chip will see you over 200BHP plus excellent handling......

Youve got lots of choice!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I couldnt afford a Type R theyre still exspensive.

Khany - Bearing in mind im 19 also (20 in Jan). I can get insured quite cheap through my dads company but im not willing to pay over £1200. The 172 and 20VT are under but not by alot.

Im still thinking build quality over a little extra speed. God i sound like an old man! lol

Are 172s made out of tin foil like my valver? Also do they rattle alot?

Clio 172 Ph2

My mate has a 20vt, only with the REVO remap can he come close to the 172. Without it, to be honest, it sucks! Nice inside though, seats are cool. Shame the radio would be a pain to change, Im too used to my mp3 ones now!

Handling in the 20vt is also awful as standard. Hes put eibach springs and bilstein shocks on it now and its 3 million times better.

The Jinx

Id have neither and go for an ITR.

Ibizas need a few mods to get them to handle and perform. And the 172 just doesnt have that special something.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 10 December 2004

Id have neither and go for an ITR.
Nice cars but i expect insurance is high and i want something newer really. Very nice cars though. My boss has one! lol

Martin - It would be the Mk3 so older shape. Im not keen on the new ones really. They look to high.

Id go with the Ibiza, you can get a special dick enlarger kit which gives you 4000bhp! You can beat anything then..

-Rob

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 10 December 2004

Id go with the Ibiza, you can get a special dick enlarger kit which gives you 4000bhp! You can beat anything then..

-Rob
WTF?

In essence, dont go for a VAG Turbo car. They are overrated by people who know absolutely nothing about cars. Saxo kids who have put on a few years, there is not one aspect of the Ibiza that is any good.

You could get a RWD for 8k, why dont you?

-Rob

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by EL RICHY on 10 December 2004

you could buy a blue vtr for that white???? LOL!!!
Nah its alright mate! lol

You wanna buy a clio 16v?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 10 December 2004

In essence, dont go for a VAG Turbo car. They are overrated by people who know absolutely nothing about cars. Saxo kids who have put on a few years, there is not one aspect of the Ibiza that is any good.

You could get a RWD for 8k, why dont you?

-Rob
Like what?

Basically im looking something new-ish and reliable. Oh and i have to be able to insure it.

i think an impreza is the ultimate clit car (every c*nts got one) all the subaru owners ive had the displeasure to meet (excluding you Brazo) have known f*ck all about cars and are pretty much insistant that their cars are superior to everything else on the road, rally heratige blah blah blah. 15 years ago only farmers would have owned a subaru and it would have been one of their, ugly as sin pick-ups

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 10 December 2004

i think an impreza is the ultimate clit car (every c*nts got one) all the subaru owners ive had the displeasure to meet (excluding you Brazo) have known f*ck all about cars and are pretty much insistant that their cars are superior to everything else on the road, rally heratige blah blah blah. 15 years ago only farmers would have owned a subaru and it would have been one of their, ugly as sin pick-ups
Whats that all about? Imprezas havent been mentioned. I couldnt afford to run or insure one anyway.

Oh and there not all pricks. My brother owns one and doest claiming hes faster or better than anyone on the road.

Scoobies are very fat cars for the money though. I cant fault them.

sorry was just going on from Robs comment about certain cars having a majority of owners that are a certain way or have a certain mentality. Im not going to start on whats wrong with imprezas because we will be here all day but they are a totally overrated car IMO.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Ahh right

Hmm all i know fom driving my brothers STi 4 is its very very quick and handles stupidly well.

8k for a 300bhp 4x4 car is not a bad buy for anyone if you ask me.

STIs are ok but the ones below that are just understeering barges!

8k is a very good price, but personally a Subaru is dog ugly and id rather own a Skoda in terms of image. Sorry to go off topic!

-Rob

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Quote: Originally posted by RB_172 on 10 December 2004

Handling in the 20vt is also awful as standard. Hes put eibach springs and bilstein shocks on it now and its 3 million times better.
Yep ... my assistant has got a standard 20vt and its as skittish as hell on the road! Also the VAG 1.8 turbo is such a soulless engine. Having driven both her Ibiza and my 172 ... glad Ive got the 172!

The Jinx

Tom, ITRs are mega reliable and hold their value ridiculously well. Theyre also one of the best FWD cars out there.

Id also be intrigued to go the RWD route as well.

172 Cup

200sx S14a

you can get a low mileage mint one on a W reg for like 7k. they have all the toys. and they are Turbo and RWD.

not bad really when they cost about 25k new.

Paul

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Tom, ITRs are mega reliable and hold their value ridiculously well. Theyre also one of the best FWD cars out there.

Id also be intrigued to go the RWD route as well.
Ill look into them. Ill get my step mum to get me a quote too firstly! lol

120d Sport

Go for the clio Tom.....youve already had one so you know what they are about......

If you would like luxury you could go for a 98/99 328is coupe..nice smooth car..decent performance, get some eibach/konis on it handles well too...insurance is not that bad either Grp 16 I think. You can pick em up now for around £8000.

Khany

172 Cup

The S15 200SX is on my future list, but I dont think you can get them yet for about £8k

there are a couple of versions and you can get them from about 8k. but they are all imports though.

Paul

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Paul.C 16v on 10 December 2004

The S15 200SX is on my future list, but I dont think you can get them yet for about £8k

there are a couple of versions and you can get them from about 8k. but they are all imports though.

Paul
My best mates dad had one of them running 280bhp. Was very very nice indeed!

Six Speed too but you cant get em for 8k.

172 Cup

not the spec r you wont and insurance will be an issue as its an import. Go for an S14a. they are pretty nice cars and you get a lot for your money and they can be tweeked to 280bhp pretty easily!

Take a look on http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbbwww.sxoc.co.uk/vbb

Paul

Vee dub

Well now youve put that into the car equation Tom...

In my opinion go for a 172

Like was mentioned.. you know the clio well an they look great.

I would prefer a mk1 172 personally but the mk2 are lovely

Clio all the way

Tom

I would definitely go for 172 over the Ibiza. But then maybe its time for a change...Integra TypeR, Ive also seen Lotus Elises for around 8K too.....

Straight line performance is the one thing youll get bored with very quickly. Always IMO go for something which you like the handling of.

My money would be on the 172 but the VAGs have the advanatge that there common so prices are less to tune/fix.