ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or the 182?

I was wondering if someone might be able to advise me!? I'm looking at getting either the 172 or the 182 just not sure what the difference is or which is the better car? Don't really know much about these cars so if anyone can help I would be very grateful.:)

Thanks,
Carla..

182 w/busted splitter :-(
182 is the newer car, and later models ("Full Fat") have all the toys like the Xenon headlights, ABS, ESP/Traction Control and Climate control.

Stripped-down "Cup" models are more basic, but some would say more fun - it just depends on your budget really, how much do you want to spend....?

BMW 535D
182 all the way, its the updated car plus its recognised as being one of the better renaultsport models so re-sale values are pretty high :)

chriscl said:
182 is the newer car, and later models ("Full Fat") have all the toys like the Xenon headlights, ABS, ESP/Traction Control and Climate control.

Stripped-down "Cup" models are more basic, but some would say more fun - it just depends on your budget really, how much do you want to spend....?

About £10,000. So is there any power difference between the two or is it one has toys the other is stripped out being the only difference?

Carla..:)

Lol all people have said 182...... all of them have 182's quite biased

I would save ya money and get a 172 plus you will have 3 grand spend on it or somat else like a holiday

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Had a 172 FF , great car , have a 182 FF now with cup packs which imo handles slightly better . Both good cars but for £10,000 your looking at a full fat 182 . Both FF 172 and 182's have the toys .

Depends what you want the phase 1 172 is the bst drivers car the later 172 and 182 have all the tops the Cup is the popular track car with no ABS.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Carla.F. said:
am I right in thinking that you can get the 182 with the cup pack added?? If that makes sense!?:S

Most 182's FF's come with cup suspension , front splitter and rear spoiler , anthracite alloys ( cup pack) as most people seemed to take this option .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Carla.F. said:
Can I ask why there called "full fat"??:)

Cos the 172 cups where stripped of things which lessened the weight , aircon , xenon headlights etc.... so the ones with all the toys are called full fat ;)

Also remember its a reno, reliabilty is shocking in some cases as im sure some people will tell you.

More toys= More things to go wrong imo

one of the reasons i had the 172 cup

MRBILLYUK said:
Cos the 172 cups where stripped of things which lessened the weight , aircon , xenon headlights etc.... so the ones with all the toys are called full fat ;)

Thanks, you've been very helpful!! Just need to find the right one now, been looking for a black 182 "full fat" one with the cup suspension, not seen many for sale though!?

Carla..:D

Carla.F. said:
Can I ask why there called "full fat"??:)

...it's just a nick-name, but it basically means all the "extra" goodies that you don't get on a Cup model (A/C, Xenon headlights, ASB etc).

Also, as their names imply, there is (approx..) 10BHP difference between the 172 and 182 models.

Some say the Cup models are slightly faster, due to the lower weight (less toys!) but to be honest, in normal road use you probably wouldn't notice the difference all that much between a Cup and FF, or between a 172 and 182, for that matter.

There are some bargains to be had with 172's at the mo, although if you've 10k to spend, youd' get a nice 182 for that?

Shaunbrass said:
Also remember its a reno, reliabilty is shocking in some cases as im sure some people will tell you.

More toys= More things to go wrong imo

one of the reasons i had the 172 cup
The phase 1 is less problem as its got less computers though.

172 Cup
All down to money my friend. There's f**k all in it in terms of performance or looks.

If you wanna pay more money for two tail pipes, a newer car and increased probability of getting a low mileage go for the 182. Just depends if those three things matter to you.

182BG
personally i would go for a 182, and thats coming from someone who has has 2 172's

always go for the newer car :)

172 cup
obviously i prefer the 172 cup but their isnt that much difference between them, having said that the 182 cup seems pointless
the 182 is best if specced with the cup pack suspension and wheels and if you are lucky they came with recaros
their is also the trophy version of the 182 which is probably the best clio

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
MRBILLYUK said:
Have you checked out autotrader ? I don't know where your based so there might be some near to you . If you buy from a dealer , especially a Renault dealership expect to pay over the odds . If you buy private you stand a good chance of knocking them down a bit and getting it lower than the advertised price .

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=RENAULT&model=CLIO&variant=182&keywords=&min_pr=9000&max_pr=10000&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=bb1+2ea&miles=200&max_records=200&source=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

Thanks for your help matey!! Is there only one cup pack that you can have fitted or is there more so I know what to look out for?:)

Carla.F. said:
Thanks for your help matey!! Is there only one cup pack that you can have fitted or is there more so I know what to look out for?:)

Nope - there's only one Cup Pack - front and (larger) rear spoilers, and (on a 182) anthracite coloured wheels (in place of the lighter grey ones).

chriscl said:
Nope - there's only one Cup Pack - front and (larger) rear spoilers, and (on a 182) anthracite coloured wheels (in place of the lighter grey ones).

cool, thanks for the info. If you see any nice ones around pm me..:)

Carla..

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ You thought right .

Cup suspension - lower and stiffer plus anthracite wheels

Cup spoiler pack - front splitter and cup rear spoiler .

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
There's no difference in power between 172's and 182's, they all bang out about 145bhp at the wheels as standard.

With a budget of £10K, you could buy a 182, and watch it depreciate £4K over the next 2 years.

Or you could spend £6-7K on a well looked after late model 172, and watch it depreciate £2-3K instead.

Whatever works for you.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
if you can stretch to £11/12k I say a trophy - best version there is :)

Mini Cooper S sport
Get a 182 with Cup suspension and Cup spoiler pack..find the newest one you can so it's got as much warranty left as possible - you'll almost certainly need it! Something goes wrong with all of them at some point (it seems).

BTW black is a bugger to keep clean - racing blue and liquid yellow are the best colours ;)

Racing Blue said:
Get a 182 with Cup suspension and Cup spoiler pack..find the newest one you can so it's got as much warranty left as possible - you'll almost certainly need it! Something goes wrong with all of them at some point (it seems).

BTW black is a bugger to keep clean - racing blue and liquid yellow are the best colours ;)

I've got a black car now and is a nightmare to keep clean but when she is clean she looks awesome!!

I'm keeping my eye's peeled for for a black 182 with both cup packs on..:D

Carla..