ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Pads - Replacement guide

320d M Sport

Tools youll need are -

Jack + Wheel brace to remove your wheels!

13mm + 17mm Spanners.

New Pads!

Elbow grease.

Dead easy this!

So, jack car up, take wheel off. Looking at the caliper youll see 2 nuts at the rear of the caliper facing towards the engine, one at the top and one at the bottom.

Place the 13mm spanner on the nut at the end, and the 17mm on the on the larger nut next to it. Holding the larger nut in place remove smaller nut.

http://www.rs-team.org/Images/Prepa/Plaquettes_av/pl_av4.jpg*

Repeat with top nut but dont remove it, I just loosed it enough to be able to move it a bit.

Slide the pad carrier upwards (should be pivoted by the top nut you loosened) and simply take old pads out.

http://www.rs-team.org/Images/Prepa/Plaquettes_av/pl_av7.jpg*

You can see the piston in the pic above (round bit!) youll need to push that back in order for it to squeeze past your new thicker pads - I placed a spanner across the face and pushed it in.

Put new pads in (make sure u put them in the right way!!) and simply reverse of above; slide carrier back down, put nut back in the bottom + tighten, tighten top nut.

Put wheel back on and jobs a goodun!

Remember to bed the pads in, dont cane it straight away or youll glaze your new pads over.

Easy, once wheels are off and cars jacked up youre looking at 10 minutes tops.

*Pics borrowed from the Clio RS website! Hope they dont mind*

Have a brew and feel chuffed with yourself...:D

320d M Sport

cheers mate, i REALLY needed them doing yesterday so I just had to go straight to Renault! It really is easy, hardest part was when i took me 45 minutes to get a wheel nut off?!! :mad: Pushing the piston back is bit hard too!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

:eek: how much!!

KTR KEVLAR BRAKE PADS (FRONT)
All models covered

Price: £25.00+vat (Set)

320d M Sport

plus tenner delivery!!! plus 1 week for them to arrive! wasnt possible to get any others, they needed doing yesterday

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 24 May 2003

Slide the pad carrier upwards (should be pivoted by the top nut you loosened) and simply take old pads out.

http://www.rs-team.org/Images/Prepa/Plaquettes_av/pl_av7.jpg*
Thats the caliper, teh carrier is the cradle holding the pads........anal, me where? NEVER! lol

All i can say about your pads..........Go on sir, its only a wafer thin!

Oh, also add a bit of copper grease to the back of the pads......stops then squeeling after a while.

before you know it, youll have the motor out to replace the rings! yay!

Mk2 172

Yeah.. Plenty of copper ease will help stop the pads squealing, and will also help conduct/dissipate heat away from the bads onto the caliper & cradle.

You might also need a clamp to push the pot/piston pack in...slowly.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

do you not need to take cap off brake fluid reservoir when pushing the piston back in? id have thought if you dont then the piston will slide back slightly after you release and apply some pressure to the pads even when not braking?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 14 July 2004

do you not need to take cap off brake fluid reservoir when pushing the piston back in? id have thought if you dont then the piston will slide back slightly after you release and apply some pressure to the pads even when not braking?
the piston wont nes slide back but removing the cap means there is less chance of damaging the master cylinder.