ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Performance air element replacements

Alfa Mito 155TB

Hi have many of you tried replacing the paper air element in the 172 with something like a green perfromance air element replacement or something from K&N.

I am not talking about a full induction kit...just the thing inside.

If you have done this, are the differences noticable.

Halfrods - Ripspeed sell them for £50...your comments please.

go for it if you want, but 50 quid for a tiny peice of foam or cotton.....ooer.

and gains will be minimal.........think along the lines of 2.

There is a homologated Green Grp N element for the Mk2 172 available (just ordered one ) £35.41 all in (delivery extra to Scotland and N Ireland) 3/4 BHP max, but freer flowing cant be bad, induction kits risky unless its a sealed carbon type one - if your filters exposed ull get lovely noise but theres no way ull get a power gain infact ull loose 3-4BHP - thats what the noise is saying..........!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Or you can get a Pipercross foam / oil type thingy for about £30. They are worth buying even if you get no power gains as they last forever.

Hello tumbleweed,ive got a green replacement filter in my 172 and its excellent.has a nice deep noise(but nothing like a induction kit). you wont notice a power increase (but will give about 5bhp more,but as a % of 172 bhp the difference is so small) but it will be noticeably smoother.

mine was a bit of a bugger to fit.it seemed to long for the air box,but eventually (bent the ribs of filter to reduce length) went in.but had to reinforce the four clips to hold tight on airbox top. dont worry this was about 2 years ago and ive been told that theyve cured this problem now.

also when i removed the front bumper for my oil cooler i reducted the air intakes, one to the bumper slots just below the headlamp and one further down to the grill under bumper(behind the horn).this made as much power difference as the filter made.easy horsepower!

hope this helps.Grant

Alfa Mito 155TB

Grant

Thanks for your advice...much appreciated....The decision is between the Green replacement and Group N.....

If i went for the group N....would I buy it from Renault Dealer

I had thought about putting extra air ducting in as well...
Hopefully I will fit one this weekend, I will let you know how i get on.

:D

Alfa Mito 155TB

A 3 - 4 BHP gain isnt bad if it makes the 172 a 176BHP...

Once I have fitted this....I am going to a RR to see how many horses the car is pushing out at the flywheel and wheels.

I bought the car in December 2002 and now have 6500 miles on the clock..Every morning i do 40 miles on the motorway to work and the same home..I am hoping these long motorway stinks have maximised the power hopefully into the higher possibilities...i am aware there are cars on here with 160+ BHP at the wheels without mods.

Tumblewwed,

if im not too late,a quick word of warning. the "green" grpN airfilter is only a single layer thick, and not really ideal for the road.it gives more power but less filtration!

grant