ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 - Ph1 or Ph2?

Evening all,

I'm in a position to buy another 172 but can't decide whether the Ph1 or 2 makes more sense for my long term plans of making it in to a track car once I get a company or second car - Bearing in mind that that's 18 months - 2 years away and that I'll be doing anything up to 100 miles a day depending on where work decide to send me.

At the moment my current pros & cons list looks like this:

Ph1 Pros:
  • More aggresive street presence
  • Cable throttle
  • I think they look better
  • I had one before
  • £30 cheaper to tax (for the time being)
Ph1 Cons:
  • Finding a standard one
  • Finding one that isn't silver
Ph2 Pros:
  • Auto lights & Wipers (not fussed really but it is a plus)
  • More modern looks
  • ESP/TC
  • Higher numbers of different colours
  • Climate control has a slightly higher appeal over AC
Ph2 Cons:
  • Looks like a dynamique
  • Doesn't really stand out from the crowd
  • Considered slower than a Ph1 in standard form
  • The wheels
Any input from you guys? I'd be interested to know if anyone else has any pros/cons for either car and what you'd do.

Also, anyone reading who has a 172 that is, or is thinking of, selling with a FSH in good condition drop me a PM. I'll put an official wanted up this week once my expenses come in - they're only 2 weeks late...

Thanks for any input,
Mike.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've had both. I prefer the ph1, just more 'fun' to drive. TC/ESP is completely unnecessary!
37cd56e2.jpg

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
i went from my 182 to a Ph1 172......

- ph1 is harder to get the most out of when driving, can't be as lazy.
- ph1 is geared longer, feels like you get more out of the torque of the car
- ph1 looks better
- ph1 rattles alot less than my 182
- i managed to find a standard one ( a little tricky)
- i managed to get one that wasn't silver (plenty around)

P1020961.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you're planning on turning it into a track car, buy a ph1. Infact, buy the cheapest thing you can get hold of!

Paying extra for the newer (And not as good to drive) phase 2 is a pointless exercise if you plan on taking it off the road for good.

Ph 1 172

- ph1 looks better

P1020961.jpg

are they the original exclusinve wheels????? been wanting to get a set of them for ages but they are never for sale and im not sure if anyone does a replica version of them!! nearly bought an exclusive myself but the interior put me off

are they the original exclusinve wheels????? been wanting to get a set of them for ages but they are never for sale and im not sure if anyone does a replica version of them!! nearly bought an exclusive myself but the interior put me off
called BBS RV's, rare... so might be hard to find.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
yeah original wheels, i didn't like the interior at start with but it has grown on me TBH.

Drew.

ClioSport Club Member
i've just got a ph1, never had a ph2 but its epic, personally i think they look better too.

VaVa
Just comes down to budgeet for me. Get the best condition, lowest milegae, newest car for your money.

And I did lol @ "more aggresive street presesnce". Neither are particularly aggresive, but the ph1 looks like a little cuddle frog, with it's big bulbous healights!

Just comes down to budgeet for me. Get the best condition, lowest milegae, newest car for your money.

And I did lol @ "more aggresive street presesnce". Neither are particularly aggresive, but the ph1 looks like a little cuddle frog, with it's big bulbous healights!

At least you can tell it's not a 1.2 after a quick glance...:rasp:

Does no one rate the Ph2 over the Ph1? I'm suprised by how one sided this has been but then I think I wanted a Ph1 but thought the Ph2 was the more logical purchase.

Once I finish working in Liverpool I'll be better able to look at travelling to view a car, I've only really being looking (fairly) locally but there does seem to be a few cheap 'uns about. (Dan, keep an eye out for me...;))

Brown Bear, you're not thinking of selling are you? That's lovely:eek:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I owned a Ph1 for 2 years, and a 182 for 3 years now...

I prefer the Ph1.

+1

Had a Phase 1 for 18 months and now have a 182 for 6 weeks, i also prefered the Phase 1, it just felt rawer and i dont care what anyone says, the fly by/cable throttle argument is considerably noticeable

M2 Competition
172 cup for me. Original in blue without ac.

Drives so differently to the other clio's, much, much more fun :D

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
172 cup for me. Original in blue without ac.

Drives so differently to the other clio's, much, much more fun :D
Maybe. But on our shitty, poorly surfaced, often damp roads, no ABS is a nonsense. And they way hardly less than a ph1, but you get to keep AC, ABS.

clio mk2

- ph1 looks better

P1020961.jpg

^^ that is beautiful ^^^ (i like what you did there, green car against contrasting green background lol)

im really glad most people are reccommending the ph1. just something about the front end on these. so much more euro-esque. i love the headlights and the vents under them! imagine ^this^ a bit lower with a set of th-line's (or, secretly, a set of banded white 106 Rallye steelies, if they would fit ;))

if i do get one of these, it will be my first RS clio. at the minute, im honestly torn between a phase 1 R5 GT Turbo, an R5 Gordini Turbo, or one of these ^^^