ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 phase 1 new owner questions....

Clio 172 Phase 1
Hi all

I have just accuired a silver 2001 clio sport 172 phase 1.
It was in a bit of state when i got it to honest and i think its been neglected a little, but hopefully with a little tlc i can bring it back to some former glory!
My intention is to use it as a track car, and mod it accordingly.

A couple of questions if I can please?....

It has 16" alloys fitted, where these standard on this year/model? Or should it have 15" alloys?

The steering feels a little vague, im gonna get it on ramp and have a good nose about, is there anything in particular i should look out for which are common issues?
Do many people fit aftermarket suspension?

Thanks for your help!
Graeme

RenaultSport 172
Hiya. Standard wheels were 15".
I have done exactly what you are going to do. Although mine still needs a bit of tidying up.
I fit second hand spax coilovers on mine as its mainly a track car. The original suspension will be getting on a bit now.
Not sure about steering issues

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Welcome, the steering issues could be the steering rack mounting bushes im sure you can buy these as a kit from Renault for about £45

Also it might help to freshen up the front suspension.

Scott

Ph1 T
If for track get:

Decent coilovers dont go cheap would be better with standard stuff.
for the steering issue check rack bushes,roll bar bushes,ball joints,track rods and rod ends also get the tracking done properly.
my steering is s**t atm but thats due to the tracking being out,
OZ F1 15" wheels as standard

hope that helps a little

Mec 350 slk manual
Hi all

I have just accuired a silver 2001 clio sport 172 phase 1.
It was in a bit of state when i got it to honest and i think its been neglected a little, but hopefully with a little tlc i can bring it back to some former glory!
My intention is to use it as a track car, and mod it accordingly.

A couple of questions if I can please?....

It has 16" alloys fitted, where these standard on this year/model? Or should it have 15" alloys?

The steering feels a little vague, im gonna get it on ramp and have a good nose about, is there anything in particular i should look out for which are common issues?
Do many people fit aftermarket suspension?

Thanks for your help!
Graeme
welcome and put some pics up

Clio 172 Phase 1
Thanks for the replys. Im gonna order some new front stuts, how do i confirm whether its a cup or non cup? Im assuming its not but wanna be sure before ordering.

Thanks

Graeme

Phase1 172
There was no ph1 cup. :)
Can't be more sure than that lol . Welcome Graeme . I'm new to the forum aswell . My clio has a few things I need to address . All fun and satisfying tho isn't it :)
get it on a ramp and give it a good visual inspection , maybe apply a push pull force to 9 and 3 o'clock and then 12 and 6 o'clock . Usually highlights wheels bearing play , track rod end play , and rack play . Then use a lever bar and apply the correct pressures to the lower arms, mounts , ball joints and arb's....

Clio 172 Phase 1
Thanks for the replies!

Im gonna give it a good service. What oil do most use? And how many litres will I need? What plugs? Best after market brake pads? (Im thinking yellow stuff) And finally the best/cheapest induction kit?

Thanks
Graeme