ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 phase 1 NOT starting

Renault Scenic 182
Hi ive got a 2001 ph1 172

ive just put another engine in it, its 3rd time ive done this :mad: so im confident its all right, 1 week later and all of sudden come back out to it after about 2 hours to leave and it wont start AT ALL

immobiliser light is flashing when trying to start but i cant remeber if it did before, does the same on both the key ive always used AND the spare key which worked originally

ive swappped the UCH ring - No change
swapped the ecu, ignition, key and UCH ring last night- no change
swapped the TDC sensor - no change
Fuel cut off switch is fine
fuel pump can be heard priming when ignition switched on
battery fully charged
TB stepper motor winds out on ignition live

has fuel (it drove there) has new plugs, leads, clutch and s**t loads of other bits i did at time of swap

now before any one mentions it, ive been using the search function for the last 2 days to no avail, as proved by the suggested parts to change list of above, there seems to be no completed threads with the same problems all of a sudden :S

the only VERY odd part which i assume is pure coincidence is that, that morning i replaced the clutch cable, now it drove back fine and without meaning to sound cocky, a clutch cable is childs play after doing the rest of it but im wondering if theres something in the vicinity that coud of been caught? :eek:

any help greatly appreciated

wayne

Megane dci 130
Flashing imobiliser light means there is no code being recieved from the key. Some one with a diagnostic machine can confirm wether the BIC is reciving a code or even recieveing a code which is wrong.

I would bite the bullet and get a brand new key.

Renault Scenic 182
shepperdspie i quite agree BUT the thing that gets me is how BOTH keys have gone down in one go :S

last year i honestly used both sets of keys all the time with no fault, i havent used the spare since about december but i cant see how its gone wrong sitting snuggled away in a draw :lolup:

and how much am i looking at for a key and coded to match? NOT taking it to ranault and letting them do it all ebfore anyone suggests it, ill physically desolder the b*****d from the ecu before i go and get mugged by the local dick turpins :nono:

thanks again

wayne

01 Renaultsport Clio 172
decoded your key by having it too close to your phone or something? Dont know if this is an urban myth or not but i have heard people talk about it.

I assume you have tried a new battery in both?

Megane dci 130
Its not uncommon to have both keys fail. Iv been caught out in the same situation as you and went to every other avenue before taking the plunge and getting a new key. When you order your key it will take 3-7 days to come from france. When it comes you will be able to start your car with it. All that needs to be programed is the central locking.

Renault Scenic 182
hughes i replaced the UCH ring to no avail

Sam i havent a clue tbh but i severely doubt its that easy to decode them? :eek: i know my keys usually sit with my phone when im at the unit :S

shepperdspie im severely tempted esp as i get all my parts trade dot suppose you remember roughly how much you paid though?

PH1 172
Try the batteries first mate as that's the cheap option just incase as both my batteries went dead around the same time

Renault Scenic 182
started this morning by holding the key really hard and turning it so its now defo key

Renault want £141 trade coded, are the cheaper traders worth it? like local lock smiths etc?

Megane dci 130
Auto electricians and locksmiths may be able to program the central locking. But as I said the key comes from france ready to start the car. All that needs programming is the central locking. It only takes 5 minuits with XR25!

Renault Scenic 182
Renault tech guys said different, both parts an service said it needs coding to the imobiliser AND central locking, coding been a fee of £40 alone which they wont do me trade discount on yet the keys only £94 with discount :-/

also what are you meaning by XR25? and is it true the snapon diagnostics gear is unable to be used for key coding/programing?

much appreciate you help here shepperdspie :D

Megane dci 130
If its a phase one then only the central locking will need programming. Ph 2's are different.

XR25 is the old renault diag equipment I wouldnt imagine a snap on solus/ethos would not be able to do it.

All I would do is order the key, put your original blade in it and try and start the car ;)