ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 problem

Flame Red 172
Washed the car today and ever since it has never started
mad.gif

All the dash lights come on but no noise from the engine trying to start all I get is a sort of buzzy tapping noise and the cd changer going a big nuts.

I also have to push the lock button twice to lock it but if i then unlock it and lock it again it onlt takes one push of the button and if I hold the key in the starting position my alarm sounds sometimes too> NOt happy

Any ideas as I know very little
confused.gif

Tried putting it in gear, whilst in gear with the clutch down, rock yourself back and forth once or twice then try and start it (out of gear)

Flame Red 172
Yeah has an imob on it and tryed the gear think to no avail. I tryed different keys and tryed locking and unlocking with the imob and the stabdard lock, but no succes

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
does the engine turn over at all?if you have had a non starderd alarm/imm it sometimes cuts off the fuel pump! is the battery really low?if too low it wont crank and all you hear is a buzzing/clicking sound.it might of gone flat due the alternator or even fuse!

Flame Red 172
Its a 2002 clio 172, and it does have a non standard alarm.

The engine doesnt turn over but like you said it does make a buzzing clicking noise

Dunno if the battery is low but the radio does play

skoda and audi
I had a non standard alarm /immo fitted on my 172 it was a toad ai606 and when the car had been unlocked for more than 30 secs and not started the immoboliser would not allow the car to start until you pressed one of the little buttons on the key fob.

I had exactly the same problem on my Williams an hour ago (non standard alarm). Power diverted away from starter and when I closed the door got a clicking from under the bonnet. Diagnosed the alarm / immobiliser was having problems arming and thought it was cutting power to my car. Quick investigation revealed a battery terminal had worked loose (though was still passing current) and car thought it was being hotwired cos of the intermittant power loss! Always worth checking the battery as they can play havoc with alarms / immobilisers...

Flame Red 172
Should there be 2wires off one side of the battery and 1 off the other?

And would having a slightly loose connection have an effect?

R3DBuLL said:
Should there be 2wires off one side of the battery and 1 off the other?

And would having a slightly loose connection have an effect?

Yeah, the one with two wires is the feed and the earth wire. The other terminal should only have 1 wire.

A loose terminal will make the car play up, thats what caused my problem.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
check your fuses in the fuse box, my imobiliser fuse blew and had the same thing, weird buzzing noise from the dials, the needles were vibrating. tried bumpstarting it a couple of times because i thought it was a flat battery and no luck, checked the fuse box and bingo