ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 PROBLEM

OK, my problem is next:

On my 172 mk1, sometimes my rpm limiter gets ~400 rpm lower!?!

We all know that in 1st&2nd limit is 7200, and in 3rd&4th&5th limit is 7000 rpm.

Now from time to time somehow limit is lower, but not allways 1st&2nd 6800rpm, 3rd&4th&5th 6700rpm.

Also the green light turns on earlyer.

Ive been at Renault dealer and checked the car computer and everything is fine, no errors found...

Does anybody have any suggestion, Im out of ideas.

I know in the mk2 (believe mk1 to be the same) that the limiter is lower when the engine is cold. When I start my car the limiter is arounf the 6750 mark with a cold engine, as it warms up the limiter goes up to 7250 or something.

I also believe the light and limiter differs depending on gear too.

Quote: Originally posted by yeba on 03 June 2003

Hmm, nobody told me that, I even asked that renault mechanicer, but he didnt know....
They never do... But they sometimes feel like to explain things anyway:p

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Can confirm its the same on a Mk1. Sometimes catches me out when I give it some in 1st early on a journey and hit the limiter in the overrun changing into 2nd (trying to hit the optimal 6.7k change point).

RB5 & 172

yep same on my mk1, can take a while for the limit to go to 7200 even though the temp seems to be at the normal level. caught me out a few times.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Remember the water temp and the oil temp are two different things.. the water temp will get up to normal quite quickly the oil could take 10-15 minutes of normal driving.

Nissan R35 GT-R

Correct. The rev limit will not raise to 7,250rpm until the OIL temperature raises to a safe level.

CTR EK9 turbo

Yep been caught out a few times racing folks and you forget it comes in early. Mines at 6800 rpm for ages. Even if you turn it off and its hot and start it and give it some it will be at the low setting for a while!

Its really annoying actually. But i guess its a good thing - stop us shagging our engines etc.

I nearly got toasted by a CTR when mine was cutting in at 6800, but a long up hill saved me and he couldnt get past; both flat out in top.

Ok, next thing, what if i do chip tuning, and remove rpm limiter up to 7800 rpm, what happens than.

Do the oil limiter sensor cut me in 6800 or it goes up to 7400?????

<75 deg C max engien speed 6700rpm
>75 deg C in 1st and 2nd max engine speed 7200rpm
>75 deg C in 3rd,4th,5th max engine speed 7000rpm