ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Questions!

I did use the search facility, which brought up a buying guide - that i can't view as it's members only section! I'm not becoming a paid member until i've bought the car...

So...

What are common faults?

What condition 172 do you think i'd get with say, under £3.5k?

Cheers in advance :D

Hyundai i40
Well worth paying you £10 hun, a wealth of knowledge in our guides

should get a decent 172 for 3.5k, have a glance in the FS section on here/PH/AT

Well worth paying you £10 hun, a wealth of knowledge in our guides

should get a decent 172 for 3.5k, have a glance in the FS section on here/PH/AT

I don't deny that, but if my selling/buying goes face first into the tarmac hen i'd have 'wasted' £10. I'm tight like that :eek:

Megane 225 F1
Trust. The £10 you pay will be the most worth while £10 you will EVER spend. And I'm a drug addict.

Hyundai i40
The buying guide is indepth and well worth the £10

fair enough

basically just check the cars straight etc

check belts have been done

sometimes problems with leaky suspensions

the steering wheels melts on them - common problem

they are pretty decent cars with not many common problems that arent easy to sort out

Are you after a cup or a FF?

330i. E30 Touring.
There's plenty of problems you could come across.

The main thing you should probably consider is most 172's will be coming up for their second cam-belt change (approx £4-500). Make sure it's been done or you budget for it or you could have a pretty nasty shock.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Mine has 102,000 on it and still goes like a goodun on track. Paid £1900 for it 2 years ago. Make sure it has cambelt done and service history and that it drives ok. It should feel solid and no rattles or squeaks.

Westy. MX5
Mine has 102,000 on it and still goes like a goodun on track. Paid £1900 for it 2 years ago. Make sure it has cambelt done and service history and that it drives ok. It should feel solid and no rattles or squeaks.

A French car feel solid, thats funny.:lolup::lolup:

BG V6, LY 182
Leave it a few month, and the way prices have gone lately, you'll be able to get a decent 182 for that :(

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I'm in Swindon, too at SN5 on Frankland Road. If you want to see a bad example of a phase 1 172 just look out for mine ;)

You've three choices: A ph1 (a buyers guide is available in EVO - check online on their website) it is lighter than a ph 2 and better looking, a ph 2 (it's heavier enough said!) and the Cup (lighter but more likely to bite your as* as it has no ABS).

Try and buy an unmodified car - acceptable changes for me would be a stainless steel exhaust, matched inlet manifolds and air filter (with RS tuner ECU). Nothing else.

Thanks all!

Imuch prefer that ph2 looks, and that means a lot to me. And i want aircon, so that outs the Cup!

I do want an unmolested example, as i want to put my own subtle stamp on it like i've done to my '5 :)

Where the hell is Frankland road, i can't think!

Buy a MINT Ph1 172

Edit: Also the £10 is worth it! I'm looking to buy a Ph1 172 next Feb, so wanna get to know the in's and out's as much as possible about Clio's in the meantime and the members section is brilliant!

Like i've said above, on a personal level I don't rate the look of a ph1, so that's out of the question for me :D

Mountune Tractor
Pay the £10 you tight wad! lol.
You'll end up paying a lot more money out on repairs if you buy the wrong car.

My OH works in a garage ;) But someone PM'd me with some good info anyway, and i'm sure i'll ask questions here should i need to :) I'll stump up £10 when i've got a Clio :)

Mountune Tractor
My OH works in a garage ;) But someone PM'd me with some good info anyway, and i'm sure i'll ask questions here should i need to :) I'll stump up £10 when i've got a Clio :)

Then he'll know how much clios cost when they go wrong then ;) and there are ALOT of sheds out there.
Good luck with the search, I'm sure if you take him out with you, you stand a good chance of buying something mechanically sound.

Red 197 & Laguna S-T
I think you'll get a good condition ph2 172 for that money. We bought a Flame Red ph2 172 about a month ago for £3000, belts done, FSH, VGC - just 1 ding on the whole car, 76000 miles.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Frankland Road = junc 16 and opposite the Windmill Hill business park. I work in the unusual blue and red building at the end that looks like moonbase alpha from Space 1999 (you're probably too young to remember!). Audi use it as a backdrop for PR purposes.

Cheers

Is that sarah from nutz?

looks like we're in the same boat :D

Indeed it is!!! Shhhhh don't tell them hahaha :) What's your reasoning?

Frankland Road = junc 16 and opposite the Windmill Hill business park. I work in the unusual blue and red building at the end that looks like moonbase alpha from Space 1999 (you're probably too young to remember!). Audi use it as a backdrop for PR purposes.

Cheers

Yup, think i'm too young! :p But i do know where you mean, my OH's work has a warehouse type thing round there too :)

my '53 plate 172 Cup has AC... :eek:

Really? I got told they didn't, learn something new everyday!

Last edited:
Surely mileage will be no issue as you'll be sat in carparks with it most nights with your cruize massive wont you? Or have you grown out of that now? ;)

mx5 & 172
Indeed it is!!! Shhhhh don't tell them hahaha :) What's your reasoning?
We've got another sprog coming so I'm going to need at least 3 seats - I considered moving the 5 petrol tank to the boot and trying to fit a kiddie seat in the parcel shelf but realised I have no clue what I'm doing and decided against it.

I looked over a ph2 cup with AC recently so there's at least two of them out there.

Surely mileage will be no issue as you'll be sat in carparks with it most nights with your cruize massive wont you? Or have you grown out of that now? ;)
Not done that in a long long time. Plus i was the one they all hated for having strong views on people driving like c***s ;)

We've got another sprog coming so I'm going to need at least 3 seats - I considered moving the 5 petrol tank to the boot and trying to fit a kiddie seat in the parcel shelf but realised I have no clue what I'm doing and decided against it.

I looked over a ph2 cup with AC recently so there's at least two of them out there.

Ohhh i see, imagine that, pootling down the motorway, taking a double take at a mx5 with a sprog sat on the parcel shelf! :D haha!
I can safely say my reasoning for getting more seats isn't sprog related :D

Not done that in a long long time. Plus i was the one they all hated for having strong views on people driving like c***s ;)

Tbh I never saw the attraction with cruising be it sat in a carpark/retail park/trading estate or driving laps around town like a t**t anyway. Was always going to be a bad idea getting yourself in local press attempting to present a "responsible" image when the cruise scene is pretty much entirely composed of retards.

Clio 172 ph2
I was the same. I don't agree with paying until you've bought one, now i got one, i'm all paid up!

Some useful stuff:

http://www.strikeengine.com/renault_clio/buying_guide.html

http://www.jamesmunday.net/blog/2008/01/18/renaultsport-clio-172182-buyers-guide/

Main issues are:
Engine mounts (knocking noises under accelleration)
Steering wheel + thumb grips
Headlight washer balls
Check rear tyre wear as rear tracking is non adjustable and could show signs of accident damage
Stainless exhausts are common as std ones are expensive. Not my cup of tea though, i like mine standard!
late 2003 (53) models got ESP and cruise as standard. They all have xenons and AC apart from Cup model (well a few have AC - see above!).
Thats what i've picked up over the last few weeks. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
MX-5 just sailed through it's MOT with no advisories, so is now on Piston Heads! Fingers crossed :)

mx5 & 172
That should take about 15 minutes to sell then - yours is one of only two mk2s i'd ever entertain the thought of buying.

found a clio yet ?

That should take about 15 minutes to sell then - yours is one of only two mk2s i'd ever entertain the thought of buying.

found a clio yet ?

It would if PH wasn't experiencing problems with photo uplaods.... Damn site!! Going to miss my little car :(

Stopped looking at Clio's until i have cash in my hand now that i know i can get one in my price range! Quite looking forward to having more space and a more practical car without loosing the fun factor :)