ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 rattle during acceleration over bumps

...basically when i accelerate hard over anything that isnt dead flat road it starts to kindof buzz/rattle under the car.

For someone not technically minded like myself, could it be the drive shaft????

has anyone else had this?

martin

Clio 172 Cup

does it happen about 4000rpm in 1st 2nd and 3rd gears? Its a common fault. Mine does it and you can get it fixed if you refer ur dealer to the AKTIS update/system.

Lee

BMW M2C

Where abouts under the car?

How old is the car?

I had a knocking from the front under those circumstances, and that turned out to be a fault with the suspension towers on newer 172/Cups. Renault knew about it and sorted it. Took a couple of hours.

That stopped the knocking but I still have a rattle when pulling away with wheelspin or cornering hard. Fred is going to take a look at that Saturday so I might be able to let you know what that is over the weekend. Seeing as my dealer cant see he car for almost 5 weeks. :mad: From what Ive read it could be the lower engine mounts, but Im not at all techincal so what would I know. lol

Could also be the exhaust, but you can check that by reving it when stationary.

Great cars, terrible build quality.

[Edit] the suspension problem was the one mentioned in the post above. They didnt even bother driving the car, they just fixed it.

jpmad4it2 - its not the 4k rattle if that what you mean - ive got that and thats being sorted - this one is a different rattle that comes as i accelerate hard over anything but an even surface.

It sounds a bit like a drill if that makes any sense?

lee - didnt see your message mate.

i also had that banging under hard acceleration and am getting the engine mount sorted (its in for quite a few things!!!!!). thing is it doesnt do it when stationary through revving - the only thing i get then is the 4k rattle (hence getting that sorted as well.

let me know what you find out over the weekend mate.

Clio 172 Cup

yeah Lee M seems to be right then. Mine does it too. Its part of the Atkis update on the suspension mounts, but u say u have had that sorted? strange?

Lee

BMW M2C

I had the ATKIS thing done. That stopped the very loud knocking. I used to get that even when reversing off my drive.

As dogmaul says, I also get that when cornering very hard and accelerating. Horrid noise too.

But I also got a knocking/vibration from the front end when cornering. Usually on small islands or when turning from a main road into a side street. Usually at low speeds but only when steering or wheelspinning.

To be honest, they make so many odd noises its hard to pin point whats what. The dealer want it for a day this time, so unless Fred can sort it they are having it for day.