ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 rattle, erratic idle and limp mode!

PH2 Clio 172
Morning all,

Having a few problems with my PH2 172.
I've recently had the engine out and replaced the head gasket, valve stem seals, cambelt (dephaser was previously replaced 4000 miles before), and all other gaskets and seals I came across in the process. It has also had the air con and the pas deleted with a homemade kit.
It has since done 2 trackdays, the last of which was yesterday. The car performed perfect most of the day however when out on our last session, after a really tight left hander, the car just lost all power, went into limp mode and the electrical fault light came on. Bit inconvenient driving around blyton at 35mph!
When we got back to the paddock the codes were read and the reader wasn't able to connect. Not sure if this is due to the ABS system and airbags not being intact.
We disconnected the battery for a few minutes then restarted it. The light had gone off and the car would rev to redline again. However, between 5000 and 4000 rpm the revs would drop really slowly. All of this is whilst stationary. Also at a similar engine speed there is a horrendous bearing rattle coming from the top end. When the revs drop to idle, it's hunting all over the place.
I'm bit sure if the rattle and all the other faults are related as there has always been a slight top end rattle when revved. As it's a track car I wasn't too concerned as the engine will just be replaced if it went bang.

I know it's a lot to read and I appreciate any help with any of the problems.

Many thanks

Ben