ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Road legal track car

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Main reason for starting this is so I don't have to start a new thread for every little question I may have going forward.

It's no longer my daily so instead of selling it for 2k and then miss it, why not spunk another few thousand into it and have some fun on track.

I don't have loads of pics but ill write up where it is now.

172 non cup, 78k, owned for about 6 years now, was standard until spring last year.
Thing done/added since then;
Cup dampers
Cooksport springs
TD 1.2s with Fed 595 RSR
Stripped inside
OMP seat, wheel and harness
Cup spoiler
Carbon canister and acoustic valve gone
K-tec solid engine and gearbox/dogbone mounts
4 new injectors
AC partially removed (pump remains for now)
DS2500 pads
Braided lines and decent fluid
Whiteline rear ARB
Lower dash is now removed but will be going back in (or part of it)
K-Tec cat back unsilenced

Short term to do list;
Sparco 6 point cage fitting
Powerlite PS09 battery fitting
Refit dash and tidy everything up/slim down when cage is in
Have a 182 manifold to go on
K-tec sports cat
Matched inlets
Remap
BC coilovers
New wishbones, track rod ends

Long term;
Plastic windows
Fibreglass bonnet
PMS shifter
New belts change + 438 cams and map

Potential issues;
New whine from engine, possibly a pulley
Slight whine I think from gearbox
Leaky sump gasket
Not enough money or time

Any pics I find I'll post in a bit (y) :D

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
First time at Cadwell, I think.
MLT30362.jpg

Donington
RenaultClioSilver-07.jpg

How it sits today lol
20200301_155914.jpg

Seat etc
20191226_134133.jpg

Thats it really! No idea where the pics from snetterton are, it was wet af anyway!

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Found one from Snet. First time spinning out in the Clio that day, it was fun because I was only doing 30 mph and nowhere near a barrier :p
snet 06.JPG

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
I've made a bracket for the original position, and I didn't have to do anything to the wires except maby another connector. Check my thread for pictures. (y)
Yeah I was hoping to keep it in the original position, it didn't look like the power cables from the fuse box or the ECU would be long enough to reach as it will be sat lower. Maybe when I start loosening it all up I can free up some more cable length?

I'll check your pics, ta.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
7+ hour round trip today to collect a rollcage for the clio - can't wait to get it fitted! Should be in before Bedford on 30th

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Metal frame now cut to allow the rollcage to fit. Clearing out as much crap as I can along the way.

Does anyone have any pics or solutions of relocating the fuse box and UCH? Both are going to be in the way of the cage.

Finally, any tips to seperating the door wiring loom from the car loom? Ive removed two screws but it wont budge easily. Cheers!

20200307_140340.jpg
20200307_140328.jpg

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Cardboard template mocked up for the battery tray. Ran out of time so the metal version will have to wait until next weekend.
20200307_180519.jpg

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Battery tray painted and ready to be fitted.
20200314_150329.jpg
20200314_150643.jpg
I painted the cup spolier but the end result was patchy and nothing like the original paint so I have revered back to the original spolier. Not too bothered as the brake light works in it and it's a tad lighter lol.

Was looking good at primer stage, oh I was fighting the weather too 🙄
20200314_124530.jpg

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Battery fitted, the car started so that's a win. Lets see how it goes from now on with drain etc.
20200314_170731.jpg
Discovered some more french twatness too, lets put two earth points tucked out the way, right next to the headlight electric so it's impossible to get a spanner on. Genious.

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
Are you fitting a battery cut off switch?

Just read this about lithium batteries

"These batteries are mainly for track/ race vehicles for weight reduction and their cold crank rating, they are also known to be fitted to some vehicles that are only used for leisurely drives but where the battery is not left connected when the vehicle is parked. Lithium batteries are not recommended for daily driven vehicles where the battery is not disconnected.

As these are lithium batteries, and even though the cold crank rating is much higher, their amp hour is much lower than a conventional lead battery and so a cut off switch is recommended to be fitted to the vehicle to completely disconnect the power from the battery. If left connected it can become drained by any electronics permanently powered by the battery such as the alarm, and should the battery drop lower than a certain amperage then it can not be recharged."

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Are you fitting a battery cut off switch?

Just read this about lithium batteries

"These batteries are mainly for track/ race vehicles for weight reduction and their cold crank rating, they are also known to be fitted to some vehicles that are only used for leisurely drives but where the battery is not left connected when the vehicle is parked. Lithium batteries are not recommended for daily driven vehicles where the battery is not disconnected.

As these are lithium batteries, and even though the cold crank rating is much higher, their amp hour is much lower than a conventional lead battery and so a cut off switch is recommended to be fitted to the vehicle to completely disconnect the power from the battery. If left connected it can become drained by any electronics permanently powered by the battery such as the alarm, and should the battery drop lower than a certain amperage then it can not be recharged."
Yeah I knew about having to disconnect it when not in use. I don't have a switch fitted yet so ill just be diconnecting the negative terminal for now. Can't this being an issue other than having no alarm.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Dropped the car off to have the cage fitted today, pick it up next weekend.

Also got some 197 cams so I'm spending my afternoon cleaning them up, the toilet paper I bought recently is coming in handy :p
20200321_155247.jpg

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
With the 197 cams, is there anything else needed for these to be fitted? And what are the gaisn like?
I'm not totally sure if I need any other bits to go with the cams, I'll ask the mechanic before hand to be sure!

197 cams with matched inlets, 182 manifold and cat back + decat/sports cat gets around 190bhp from what ive read. After mapping of course. Some get mid 190's 👍

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Cage is in. Just been slimming down the bottom dash before I refit it. I'll save that for another day. Lots of wire management and switches/buttons to relocate too - fiddly s**t. 👍
20200328_162321.jpg

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Ally blanking plate bonded on
20200606_142514.jpg

Fitted some padding on the rollcage to protect my noggin/helmet
20200606_122604.jpg

Discovered in a hail storm that both the doors leak from somewhere, maybe window seals.
Got Black series ARB bushes and K-Tec 182 mani to 172 exhaust sports cat on order.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Nothing exciting has happened recently. New poverty spec windscreen fitted, blanked off the hole left by removing the heater matrix, seperated some unused wires from the loom, had a fight with my seat to get it in the perfect position and fitted a phone mount to the dash.

Just need a connector to bridge the gap where the coolant pipes meet the heater element.

Waiting to fit;
Coolant res
Ktec sports cat
182 mani
ARB & steering rack bushes
197 cams

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Did you sort the uch relocation in the end?
No, I keep putting it off. I still have to de pin loads of wires but I want to run it by my mechanic before I do anything drastic. Once ive stripped out everything I dont need ill tidy it all up and find a home for the UCH and fuses. Up underneath the dash id image. What have you done with yours?

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
No, I keep putting it off. I still have to de pin loads of wires but I want to run it by my mechanic before I do anything drastic. Once ive stripped out everything I dont need ill tidy it all up and find a home for the UCH and fuses. Up underneath the dash id image. What have you done with yours?
I’ll get some pics of how I’ve done it. Managed to get the fuse box to sit in the standard place and with a bit of manipulation of the bracket got the uch in standard location albeit at a totally different angle.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Ah nice, pretty tidy like that. I'll bear this in mind when I sort mine. Cheers 👍

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Update; Inlets and throttle body portmatched and gasflowed. Went for a dull colour :)
20200718_205045.jpg

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Warped my old OEM brembo discs at Bedford so replaced with Brembo HC discs courtesy of George at RTR.
20200725_123035.jpg

Also removed some more redundant wires from interior loom
20200725_162013.jpg

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Brands Hatch evening session today. 4 red flags, 3 caused by mx5's. Only got in 2, 15-2 min sessions so quite frustrating.

Clio behaved though and got me home again which is priority no. 1.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
One lap from last night, ignoor the overlay, it's fooked. First time at Brands in the clio... :)

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Big week for the clio! Had the following;

Cambelt
Aux belt
Dephaser pulley
PMS lightweight pulleys & AC delete kit
197 cams with custom timing
Water pump
ARP rod bolts
182 manifold
Ktec sports cat
OEM clutch & cable
TTV flywheel
Various seals replaced
Black series ARB & steering rack bushes
Remap
191.7bhp & 163.8 torque

Feels wayyyy better to drive now. Can't wait to get it on track again.

Alex at AW Motorworks in Essex was excellent, highly recommended. Went to the trouble of steam cleaning the engine bay, gearbox, cam covers etc when it was all appart.
20200821_152907.jpg

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Got the clio on a weighbridge today.

I think the official renault kerb weight for mine is 1110kg, mine weighed 1020kg today with 1/8 tank of fuel. So 90kg lost. Was hoping it would be a bit lighter but this sounds about right really.

Still chasing the goal of 200bhp per ton, so another 60kg to lose! :D

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Good work buddy. I am also looking for the 200bhp per ton although it's a 1600 Twingo not clio. Have you Stripped the innards out off the door yet? I saved 10kg per door if the clio doors are anything like the Twingo ones.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Good work buddy. I am also looking for the 200bhp per ton although it's a 1600 Twingo not clio. Have you Stripped the innards out off the door yet? I saved 10kg per door if the clio doors are anything like the Twingo ones.
After a bit of chatting with fellow clio owners and reading the interwebs the general thought was that the weighbridge was way off. No way it sill over 1000kg.
The door inner skins will be cut out when I fit plastic windows early next year :)

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
All non essential wires removed from the tailgate today. Waiting on some locking pins to arrive, then I can cut out the inner boot skin and remove latch.
20200912_161100.jpg

Repaired a couple of surface rust areas behind the bumber.

Then I had to grind off a seized exhaust hangar bolt, scrape off more surface rust and fit new hangar and poly bush.
20200912_174353.jpg

20200912_174359.jpg

And all done.
20200912_182254.jpg