ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 servicing questions - belts etc

Monaco 172
ok here we - and yes before I get shot - I have searched.

I'm in need of a bit of guidance and advice what to do really.

I have a 53 plate 172 thats now on 98k miles, I have service history of a belt change 2 years ago but no dephaser and i'd like to get it done along with the belts.

I would like to service the car myself first asap with the simple stuff but not knowing this car i thought it best to ask advice on exactly what to change and how, where to get stuff from, and costs.

then there is the big one, new belts and dephaser pulley - i've had a few quotes but this is a forum after all and experience speaks louder to me!

I'm based near corby northamptonshire and the car is used for fast road use, and the odd track day.

Any help much appreciated peeps :cool:

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
I'd get it done at 519 mate, it's not too bad of a drive from Corby.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'd check it personally and if there's signs of excessive play I'd change it if it's noisy or not.

Timing belt and dephaser changed at Diamond Motors to CS members is £560 using genuine parts and belt kits.

Its okay saving a bit of cash and if thats your driving constraint we'll do timing belt only for £380 but if the dephaser goes noisy 3weeks/months later (and I say IF) you will have to redo the entire job again and there will be no come back or free-be. If you plan on keeping the car and if you can afford it, I'd advise you to just change it (but that's me and how I advise my customers).

Mick
Diamond Motors

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
if you read the first post he's talking about having the belts changes again just because the dephaser wasn't changed, and not for any other reason. This would be a massive waste of time and money

Evo 8 MR
Personally I'd get the engine service done at the same time as the belt change as you're supposed to put fresh oil in when you change the dephaser afaik.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
if you read the first post he's talking about having the belts changes again just because the dephaser wasn't changed, and not for any other reason. This would be a massive waste of time and money

Jesus Dan, what's with you ATM - period?

I did read the first post and he said:

I'm in need of a bit of guidance and advice what to do really.

I have a 53 plate 172 thats now on 98k miles, I have service history of a belt change 2 years ago but no dephaser and i'd like to get it done along with the belts.

So it had belts but no pulley and now he would like some quotes and advise on getting the pulley changed... Which I believe is what I did. Just because I mentioned saving money as you did, did you assume I was having a pop?

Let it go and get on with life... And the topic