ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 shift light

Trophy #473
hi

I have a ph1 and have heard/seen a few with a shift light in the dials but im sure ph1's never had them, do i need correcting?

nathan

Scirocco GT 210
I have a shift light in my ph1. It's a little gearstick symbol which lights up green, on the left hand side of the dials.

Monaco Blue Mk2
Some Ph1 do have them, think it's normally the ones with the alloy bonnet and I think it is on the left in Ph1, might be wrong about that bit though.

RenaultSport Clio 172
Actually guys, I have an '02 172 (MK2?) and I have one of these lights, what is it for??! Not really up on this sorta stuff, the 172s the first "real" car I've had!

BMW M135i
DesignPunk said:
Actually guys, I have an '02 172 (MK2?) and I have one of these lights, what is it for??! Not really up on this sorta stuff, the 172s the first "real" car I've had!

Its the 'here comes the limiter' light.

It comes on about 500rpm before the rev limiter kicks in to remind you to change gear.

Just in case you don't notice the rev counter being all the way round and the screaming sound coming from the engine :clown:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
no way random. i had my car for 4 months now and only ever noticed this shift likght thingy last night! mines a 2000 ph1 172 and yeah mines got one on left.

It come in 300rpm (a tolerance of +-50rpm is given) before the redline to warm you the limiter coming up. Most 172 cars should have it I've driven 182 which don't have it (as there broken but noone noticed)

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
it comes on too late anyway you should be changing way before if you want to go faster! although it does sound brill!

stevo172-250 said:
it comes on too late anyway you should be changing way before if you want to go faster! although it does sound brill!
I'm not sure, it depends what gear your in you want to maximume power from the engine so it you go over the max point to say 7k when you change up the cars getting more adverage power.

On track its helpful though infact letting you hold a gear longer.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
stevo172-250 said:

thats probably because yours is turbo'd if it was NA then you would want to be revving it close to the limiter to be on power in the next gear yours has probably run out of steam then

word_easy said:
how do you know if you have an alloy bonnet?
Try and get a magnet to stick.
If it doesn't stick thn its an alloy bonnet.

Only some Mk1 172 had alloy bonnets the Mk2 didn't.

Golf R/Leon FR
alloy bonnets you can lift with your little finger lol,
my ph-quick has the shift light but no alloy bonnet, its hit and miss if you have any or both.

RenaultSport Clio 172
Cheers dudes, now i know! I inadvertantley ran my rev counter up to about 7400 the other day cos i'm still getting used to it (in secind I might add), hope i haven't done too much damage!

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
DesignPunk said:
Cheers dudes, now i know! I inadvertantley ran my rev counter up to about 7400 the other day cos i'm still getting used to it (in secind I might add), hope i haven't done too much damage!

That's why the rev limiter is there for, mate. ;)

It's suppose to kick in at 7250 revs tho, 7000 after the second gear.

Clio 182 cup'd
edde said:
Try and get a magnet to stick.
If it doesn't stick thn its an alloy bonnet.

Only some Mk1 172 had alloy bonnets the Mk2 didn't.

:( mine is a normal one then, I thought it was pretty light anyway, so alloy ones must be really light!

BMW E46 330i Touring
I've got both :)

The bonnet has never felt THAT light to me, light but not ridiculously light, but a magnet doesn't stick...

Don't worry about reving to 7.4k some remaps let them go to 8k all the time someone ever remaped once to 8.5k and it lasted a short while before the coils broke.
The difference in bonnet weight makesalmost no difference and the rev limiter light is no point IMO either. They make no real differecne its nice to tell people you have one but nothing important.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
got alloy bonnet and shift light, i thought for max acceleration you shift just after the shift light comes on.

Evo VI Tommi Makinen
I've got both the Ally bonnet and the shift light on the top left. I can never see my shift light as the steering wheel gets in the way.

Gotta love the Ph-quick though

RenaultSport Clio 172
edde said:
Don't worry about reving to 7.4k some remaps let them go to 8k all the time someone ever remaped once to 8.5k and it lasted a short while before the coils broke.
The difference in bonnet weight makesalmost no difference and the rev limiter light is no point IMO either. They make no real differecne its nice to tell people you have one but nothing important.

Cheers Edde, speaking of ECU remaps, I've been looking at the ones that k-tec do and am quite interested in em, anyone got any experience of em?

I assume they just remap the ECU towards performance as opposed to fuel efficiency/emissions? Or am I just showing my lack of knowledge there?! :eek:

E-ray_172 said:
got alloy bonnet and shift light, i thought for max acceleration you shift just after the shift light comes on.
Nope depends on the grear you need a RR printout realy and work out when to chnage gear at what RPM as you want to maximume rthe adverage poer so in first maybe chnage up at the redline in 4th chnage up at 6.4k as the drop in rpm to 5th will mean that your adverage power will be higher.

DesignPunk said:
Cheers Edde, speaking of ECU remaps, I've been looking at the ones that k-tec do and am quite interested in em, anyone got any experience of em?

I assume they just remap the ECU towards performance as opposed to fuel efficiency/emissions? Or am I just showing my lack of knowledge there?! :eek:
GT_gaz as one of them from BB which will be much the same. I do't know of nayone with the k-tec one best do a search.
They probably do a bit of both at low throttle gives more mpg and full throttle more power.
It won't gove much more power though more midrnage and since its not custom made it won't be perfect for your car.