ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Shift Light

Reading my MK1 172 manual the other day, it mentioned a green optimum shifting light. its supposedly a little symbol of a gearstick (top left of panel on dash) has anyone ever got it to come on? Im always worried that ive interpreted it wrong and its actually a light telling you that you are damaging the tramsmission, just wondered if anyone else knows about this?

Cheers

Lee

BMW M2C

If you have one, and it works it will light up when you turn the ignition on. I think it was a bit hit and miss on the Mk1 172 as to whether you had one or not.

Ziel Nurburgring

Wasnt it only late mk1s that had it. If in doubt, rape your engine in first and keep going until the limiter kicks in. If just before the limiter there is a small green light on the dash, then you got one. If not, at least you know what it sounds like to hit the limiter

Nissan Jewk

yeah, your driving like a girl, thats why you not seen it LMAO! Just kidding mate, itll be in the top left corner

haha i just dont want to break anything! ive got a late mk1 black 172, had it around 6500rpm but in general dont like hitting limiters.

406 passion wagon..

Hmmm my late mk1 172 has one but it doesnt work, not even holding the throttle near the limiter. Was one of the features that would be nice if it worked! Not sure if maybe the bulbs gone. Also a second light on the dash, the heated rear window doesnt light. Not sure if it is supposed to but the dash has the symbol on it...

Does anyone on a mk1 172 have a second heated rear window bulb lite on their dash? Should be down in the bottom left hand corner!

406 passion wagon..

Quote: Originally posted by daveclio172 on 13 October 2004

optimum gear shift indicator is on the bottom right (thats on my mk2 172)

Bloody thing comes on at 140mph.

Dave
Renault not supply you with a 6th gear? LOL Havent pushed mine over 125!

Wanting to take it on a runway to see how fast she will go!

Nissan Jewk

Quote: Originally posted by daveclio172 on 13 October 2004

optimum gear shift indicator is on the bottom right (thats on my mk2 172)

Bloody thing comes on at 140mph.

Dave
guess its changed then as its top left on my mk1 172

Ziel Nurburgring

yeah, they positioned it handily out of sight on the mk2.

Dont think it works on just throttle alone, i think it has to be in gear

In the end though i wouldnt bother with it, as by the time it comes on you should have changed up anyway. Listen to your engine, it will let you know when its ready

Suzuki SV1000S

What reg is you r car, Only the early ones had it I think. Mine is one of the last mk1s and it def. doesnt have it, have had the limiter increased though, but sure it didnt do it before then!

Clio 172 (flame red)

You shouldnt have to hit the limitor, it should come on as you hit the peak power of the engine, so any perfectly timed gear changes should do it!

I was a bit disappointed when I saw mine, I thought is was going to be flashing red or something, days of thunder stylee!

My W 2000 Mk1 has it, top right same as MikeC.

It only came with the ones with the Aluminium bonnet which was early Mk 1 172s

Suzuki SV1000S

Yeah mine has it but doesnt come on as mine is an April 2001 model, Thats why it is Iceburg Silver then Smokey (damn shame about bonnet), Mine does have an aluminium bonnet though, but could have been changed afterward sI suppose!

Ziel Nurburgring

As has been said, its change or youll regret it very very shortly when it lights up.

The only way to try it is to give it a boot up towards the limiter and see if it comes on

Its not an optimum just says your close to the red line. Comes on 200~300rpm before redline I think

If you dont have it it might just be as its broke or hasnt beeen connected.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Reckon with Mk1s, early ones had shift light and aly bonnet; some in the late-middle come with no light and still the aly bonnet (like mine); last ones didnt have light or the light bonnet. Even those who havent got it still have the space on the instrument panel for the light - it just doesnt come on so appears to be "broken".

shteeve - engine will happily rev to 8k ... limiter can be safely raised just like George16vs. Very well engineered engine ... one of the stronger bits of the car ;). Hence you shouldnt be scared of reving to the standard limiter. That said the power drops off around 6.5-6.8k, so the knack is to aim for the limiter but change the instant before. However, in first and second sometimes cant help but hit it (a few times a day :)) since tend to keep my eyes on the road and not the rev counter.

Quote: Originally posted by MikeC on 13 October 2004
Mine comes on all the time, but thats cos i hit the limiter all the time!

ah, a kindred spirit ;o

Suzuki SV1000S

Quote: Originally posted by Andy D on 13 October 2004

Reckon with Mk1s, early ones had shift light and aly bonnet; some in the late-middle come with no light and still the aly bonnet (like mine); last ones didnt have light or the light bonnet. Even those who havent got it still have the space on the instrument panel for the light - it just doesnt come on so appears to be "broken".

shteeve - engine will happily rev to 8k ... limiter can be safely raised just like George16vs. Very well engineered engine ... one of the stronger bits of the car ;). Hence you shouldnt be scared of reving to the standard limiter. That said the power drops off around 6.5-6.8k, so the knack is to aim for the limiter but change the instant before. However, in first and second sometimes cant help but hit it (a few times a day :)) since tend to keep my eyes on the road and not the rev counter.

your right about the power dropping off at 6.5k, although the chip I have does seem to keep the power up there longer, but only to about 7.2k. Judging by what your saying I think the bonnet must have been changed on my car, as it is def. aluminium (bit worrying, but the car was already lowered too).

What Intake systems do you guys all have? I had a quickshift Taipan2 Kit, whichi was superb but was silent so have opted for a K&N now, Love the noise they give too much..

Trophy Turbo :)

My W Reg has opne on and about 6750 rpm it will come on but its in the worst place every as my driving position u cant see it as the steering wheel is in the way ;-)

I think the cliops with the Alloy Bonnet pack came with the shift lights.

Andy D : might try it later on, ive got a 172 on a Y plate, and i assume i have the alloy bonnet as it weighs nothing! maybe its just cos ive got a black one, who knows! I found out about this light from reading the original sales brochure, thats where the phrase "optimum shifting light" came from. renaults words, not mine!