ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 + snow = epic fail

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
It baffles me how people can claim to say that 182s and 172's are great in the snow. In snow deeper than 2-3 inches they are useless unless the road is snooker table flat.
They struggle on inclines. They will limp you home if you keep momentum and have people around ready to push you up any hills.

Of course they are preferable to anything with a BMW badge in the snow but people who say they are struggling in the snow in them aren't necessarily useless drivers.

Golf GTD Mk7
don't forget engine braking is the best way in snow as well. I don't think the OP expected to be called s**t when he wrote this.lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It baffles me how people can claim to say that 182s and 172's are great in the snow. In snow deeper than 2-3 inches they are useless unless the road is snooker table flat.
They struggle on inclines. They will limp you home if you keep momentum and have people around ready to push you up any hills.

Of course they are preferable to anything with a BMW badge in the snow but people who say they are struggling in the snow in them aren't necessarily useless drivers.

Indeed, anyone who rates them in the snow has clearly never driven much else fwd, you'd struggle to pick many fwd cars that were actually significantly worse TBH

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Commenting on how a 172 clio is in the snow is only useful if putting it into the context of comparing it to other cars, so people who arent doing so and just saying there is fine arent being useful IMHO.

Take a 1.4 clio for example on narrower tyres, and a sport clio, drive them both in the snow, and the only conclusion you'll reach is the 172 is worse, anyone implying otherwise is incorrect.
It really is that simple and is a fact and not a matter of opinion at all.

If you drive it well, good progress can be made, but ultimately its still a bad car choice for snow. (although a lot better than a bmw on massive wide tyres with not enough weight over the driven wheels of course!)

Proved my point perfectly there, cheers.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Proved my point perfectly there, cheers.

Not a problem, glad you enjoyed.

I still find people on car forums more interested in talking about their opinions of other people than of cars an interesting subgroup of society TBH :)

It's interesting the different reasons people choose to post on car forums, it would make quite a good psychology paper IMHO.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm bored and my wife and kids are asleep?

That would make a pretty s**t paper tbh. (excuse the pun)

Passat
3 or 4 inches here and with winter tyres my car has been unbelievable. Was going up a hill earlier and there was a good 10 cars stuck. Including an X5 actually. Only me and a Range Rover could get up there no problem. Beautiful

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
3 or 4 inches here and with winter tyres my car has been unbelievable. Was going up a hill earlier and there was a good 10 cars stuck. Including an X5 actually. Only me and a Range Rover could get up there no problem. Beautiful

Winter tyres really do make a massive difference.
Trouble is over here we tend to only get a few weeks of the year where they are really needed so most people dont bother.

hope its fooked off by next w.end as im ment to be in leeds

Trouble is over here we tend to only get a few weeks of the year where they are really needed so most people dont bother.[/QUOTE

]guess u didnt see hes from leeds there with how u replied over here lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Trouble is over here we tend to only get a few weeks of the year where they are really needed so most people dont bother.

guess u didnt see hes from leeds there with how u replied over here lol

Yeah I saw he is from leeds, and I'm from england too. But like i said "most" people dont bother with winter tyres like he has and I do.

Not had to many problems in the snow apart from occasionally getting stuck, although it was quite interesting before trying to drive home in the snow with my tracking out. lol

SQ5
Wow this thread went on while I tucked into my KFC.

It was my opinion, I can drive an did very well with little effort in those conditions I posted.

Usually thought you were ok Chip, but regarding this thread and how you've been to others you've come across as a bit of a bellend.

Why were you banned from the Mk1 forum out of interest?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Usually thought you were ok Chip, but regarding this thread and how you've been to others you've come across as a bit of a bellend.

I tend not to bother trying to judge people I've never even met just from posts on a car forum, I guess your drastically different views on me from just reading different threads shows why it's pointless.

Why were you banned from the Mk1 forum out of interest?

As I said, don't think my blunt style went down well, although it was weird cause only a couple of months before that the admin was mailing me saying how valuable my input was and to ignore the easily offended types.
It's a very cliquey little forum with very few people who know the first thing about cars tbh,more a social site which isn't what interests me, have plenty of real friends without needing Internet ones, lol

It's a very cliquey little forum with very few people who know the first thing about cars tbh

I found the few that i met from mk1 forum to be more chatty and willing to talk 2 any 1 and every 1 tbh unlike on some cases with people on here

DB.

BMW 440i
I always found the 182 pretty good in the snow, the golf is slightly better but not by much.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mitch, the ones I've met have seemed friendly enough, I thinks it just the ones that rely on the Internet for friends and don't get out much that tend to get so wound up, lol

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I've found mine ok in the snow I once drove all the way back from Ipswich in heavy snow without any problems. Now I just leave it on the drive and roll in the Hilux.

SQ5
Lol I've just looked out the window and mines the same.

My splitter caught something the other day so it sits less than an inch from the floor! We have 2-3 inches here so I could be the local snow plough!

Lol. Its the same here! My mate lowered his clio yesterday, but didnt realise the amount he dropped it, i could just fit my toes under his splitter, hes gonna be fucked!

SQ5
Dan - fit something under a splitter?! I wish ;) loo

Kev - my mate got stuck in his 320d last night going up a tiny hill in town!

260% JCW
Dan - fit something under a splitter?! I wish ;) loo

Kev - my mate got stuck in his 320d last night going up a tiny hill in town!

Makes me laugh mate, the guy next door has put some snow socks on his wheels. They don't work either.

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
I was impressed with mine last night in my way home as it didnt get stuck once and went up and over the flyover overtakeing stuck cars

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Not just you. Others include Women, polar bears, snakes, and garden gnomes.

Actually made my morning. FLOL!

Me and friends always say how good Clio's are in the snow. Just rock it, don't be revving it to s**t, keep up momentum.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
defender FTW!. conditions are pritty crap on the roads after allot of people have compacted the snow, the ammount of people using the curbs to climb the hills is astonishing.....

i would say to get up a hill ( going from my experiance last night ) get a decent run up, ie not reving the tits off it, and gently keep going up.

stopping on a hill = not going anywhere without help

Passat
Why are people saying 1. Clio's are decent in the snow and 2. You can drive them in it so long as you know how. If you've not got winter tyres on a Clio (sport) its useless. People saying you need momentum to get up hills...well yes but what if you have to stop because of traffic? The best driver in the world cannot generate traction where there is none.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Mock all you want but 195/15 winter tyres and a 182 are an impressive car in the snow. Even more so if you disable the ABS (properly,not pulling a fuse)

Yes a unimog on tracks is probably better but most of us don't have £200,000+

And a 182 would be a rubbish ambulance, only 3 doors see.

Don't get me started on converting one to a fire engine!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The moment you change to winter tyres, any car gets massively more capable, makes a huge difference.