ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 + snow = epic fail

Clio v6
In the snow and ice my 172 drove just the same as many other cars I owned, Clio v6's included. I guess it's down to 40 years experience of actual driving. I'm certain one of those taking part this good topic may find my addition difficult to cope with, but I tend to post more factulally on the forums, and post less utter tripe than those who spout total rubbish about being track drivers.

The main disadvantage of driving a rear/mid engined Clio is the windscreen washer bottle freezes more quickly.

Listerine & Poledo
Thread contains true road warriors.

Road's closed pizza boyz (high winds and ice over bridges, diversions are in place)

Evo 5 RS
In the snow and ice my 172 drove just the same as many other cars I owned, Clio v6's included. I guess it's down to 40 years experience of actual driving. I'm certain one of those taking part this good topic may find my addition difficult to cope with, but I tend to post more factulally on the forums, and post less utter tripe than those who spout total rubbish about being track drivers.

The main disadvantage of driving a rear/mid engined Clio is the windscreen washer bottle freezes more quickly.

So a mid engined Clio with a V6 is going to be the same to drive in poor conditions as a 172 simply on the basis that you, an old fart, have 40 years of driving experience and therefore defy mechanical engineering and physics.

Factual my arse ;). Kiddin', I agree any car can be driven well enough in snow though, it's just a case of taking your time and slow everything you do down a notch. As long as it's not acting as a snow plow...

Listerine & Poledo
Experience and/or talent can make even the turdiest of machine work well in shoddy conditions.

Senna @ Toleman?

williams and trophy
I have a more economical daily, and I have better cars for on track, but we have this one too because it makes a good compromise between a second daily and backup trackday hack.
It doesnt do any one thing superbly but it does everything well, more a case of there being no good reason not to own one really, everyone should have one :)

and theres cars that would fit that bill better also. and they look better lol. as for every home should have 1. lol then wed all be the same. how boring a world would that be?? ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
and theres cars that would fit that bill better also

I doubt you'll name a car that I agree with which outperforms the clio 172 as an all rounder, but feel free to try, if you can come up with one I'll go and buy one of those instead I guess.

Key points to match or beat are:
sub 2k to buy so no problem if it gets binned on track
climate control aircon
great handling
comfy seats
big car feel on the motorway
decent power
room for track tyres in the back (ie not an mx5 etc)
40mpg+ on a run
sassy little runabout for the mrs
close enough wheelsize and offset as all my mk1 wheels/tyres that I can use them

I genuinely cant think of another car that beats the clio 172 on that basis TBH

Listerine & Poledo
Has anyone on here actually driven a "big" car or what?

Sorry, it's a small hatchback, albeit one with a big engine stuffed in the nose and firmer suspension.

If a big car had the road noise, wind noise, rattles and thumpy suspension of a 1*2, it'd eiuther be a supersport version of said car, or just crap.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Has anyone on here actually driven a "big" car or what?

What I mean is, it feels solid enough that it doesnt feel like a lorry is going to blow you over with the sidedraft (like an aygo etc) and its comfy enough for long distances, and the engine has enough torque at cruising rpms to not need you to change gear for hills etc.

Obviously I wouldnt expect someone in a clio 172 to close their eyes and think they were in a 740 bmw instead, lol

Apologies if the term was confusing, I kind of thought most people would know what I meant but obviously not.

Listerine & Poledo
That cleared it up nicely, good one Chip.

They feel "bigger" than an MX-5, I'll give them that, but even the ZR felt like a bigger car.... well, it was a physicaly bigger car I concede that.

Anyway, it's not an AMG, so it's not a real cruiser :p

williams and trophy
I doubt you'll name a car that I agree with which outperforms the clio 172 as an all rounder, but feel free to try, if you can come up with one I'll go and buy one of those instead I guess.

Key points to match or beat are:
sub 2k to buy so no problem if it gets binned on track
climate control aircon
great handling
comfy seats
big car feel on the motorway
decent power
room for track tyres in the back (ie not an mx5 etc)
40mpg+ on a run
sassy little runabout for the mrs
close enough wheelsize and offset as all my mk1 wheels/tyres that I can use them

I genuinely cant think of another car that beats the clio 172 on that basis TBH

williams, redtopped corsa/nova, zetec'd xr2, bike powered kitten/fox, crapi 2/3 ltr, plenty beemers plenty other stuff really. granted most havent got aircon/cc, but your old skool so that shouldnt be a problem.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
williams, redtopped corsa/nova, zetec'd xr2, bike powered kitten/fox, crapi 2/3 ltr, plenty beemers plenty other stuff really. granted most havent got aircon/cc, but your old skool so that shouldnt be a problem.

haha @ bike powered kitten, bet loads of those have aircon! :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Currently got a williams powered mk1 already wouldnt want to use it as a daily really
Not as comfy, no aircon, they are generally likely to be rusty, brakes arent very good (well mine are, but standards arent)
Just generally not as good daily driver as a 172

redtopped corsa/nova
I also have a redtopped corsa on bike bodies currently anyway, but its as per the williams really, not as pleasant day to day, seats not as nice, no aircon, not really a sassy/chic girly runabout for the mrs either TBH.
Also they dont handle anywhere near as well, mines on coilovers, uprated ARB, modified geometry etc, and still nowhere near as nice handling as the 172 with just a set of springs

zetec'd xr2
Less power, not comfy, generally rusty, no aircon

bike powered kitten/fox
Rubbish daily especially on the motorway, and nowhere to put track tyres

crapi 2/3 ltr
slow, dont handle, rubbish on fuel, all rotten unless you spend a fortune or get very lucky, no aircon

plenty beemers
Much dearer on tyre and fuel (unless a derv), handling not great generally either unless an M model or modified, and then its a bit of a money pit

plenty other stuff really. granted most havent got aircon/cc, but your old skool so that shouldnt be a problem.
TBH everything you listed just falls massively short of the 172 for our requirements even if you take the aircon issue away, and then really only a williams comes close and they're still nowhere near as pleasant on the motorway etc.

Definately confident we made the right choice, all the suggestions you make just re-enforce that belief TBH!

1.2 16v campus sport
if i can get up a hill in a 12 tonne truck with 4 tonne ambulance on the back, then no one should have a problem in a fwd clio...

you'd think so anyways....

Listerine & Poledo
16 tonnes of weight should pretty much beat all conditions into submissions though I'd have thought

Clio 182
I havnt had a prob in the snow with the clio..... thats because there hasnt been any. last year i drove a mk2 mr2 in the snow with wide tyres and i had no problem.