ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 + snow = epic fail

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I do find that my Trophy is 'ok' in the snow, but is by no means great. But I don't think it's so much the car... more the fact that it's lightweight and running summer tyres. Stick a set of winter tyres on and the difference can be significant. I wouldn't have believed the difference myself had I not experienced it first hand.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Never had any trouble with mine, Fair enough we dont get much snow here these days but when we do Iv never had any problems and I live on top of a hill... Most of the time il use the RRS but when i use the clio is just as easy..

My car doesnt s**t all over the place though, and I can leave it at the airport for a fornight without having to answer to the RSPCA when I get back.

Are you sure cars don't sh*t over the place...the emmission laws are for all....least my roses look good after a shovel full of the proverbial horse sh*/te or bull shi*te. All a lot more usefull than the stuff that comes out of a car's rear end.

No, I wouldn't take a horse to an airport either that would just be silly......... a camel on the other hand can go for two weeks with out food or water...

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
For fresh snow (not the stuff that has turned to ice), would big fast tyres with a wide tred on it be better? Isnt that why tractors manage really well in the snow (along with there weigth)? Also why those big snow vehecals in snow places have big tyres? (im thinking of the vehecals in the begining of national tressure :p)?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For fresh snow (not the stuff that has turned to ice), would big fast tyres with a wide tred on it be better? Isnt that why tractors manage really well in the snow (along with there weigth)? Also why those big snow vehecals in snow places have big tyres? (im thinking of the vehecals in the begining of national tressure :p)?

If you are trying to stay on top of soft surfaces then its useful to have wide tyres to try and do so, but you also need massively deep tread with wide spaces between the blocks and big ground clearance, its quite a different situation to driving on a uk road with some compacted snow on it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TRactor tyres have tread blocks the size of a clios wheels, hardly a fair comparison

Generally they are pretty narrow too ironically, they actually gain surface area more from the diameter of them than from their width, although that said my mate has double rears that he bolts on his if going on something really soft.

williams and trophy
2 live, that looks like a lot of fun providing it doesnt turn over, should think one of them on your head would do a fair bit of damage, lol

Yank barge is kind of cool if you are into sailing I guess, but not really my thing TBH, would have no use for it.

well the trick is knowing how far you can take it ;)

and theres me thinking you were a petrolhead....how can you not like christine???? shes right up there with the general lee, kitt and delorean.

i mean...just listen to it purring ;)

[youtube]OX9eIGOzdE8&feature=plcp&context=C37803c3UDOEgsToPDskKgYNIofAFNT7PY4_CtMKnj[/youtube]

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
well the trick is knowing how far you can take it ;)

and theres me thinking you were a petrolhead....how can you not like christine???? shes right up there with the general lee, kitt and delorean.

i mean...just listen to it purring ;)

Cool noise, but just not something i'd have a use for, too thirsty for a daily, useless on country lanes and useless on trackdays, thas only thing I tend to use cars for really.
Sure it would be pleasant over in florida if you wanted to just go for a long seaside drive etc in good weather though.

williams and trophy
fair point. but its nowhere near near as thirsty as his lm400. lol. i dont think mpg is high on his agenda tbh.

After owning a bmw before the 182 i have to say the clio suck's in the snow, the bmw was such fun the clio is just scary,ive been driving over 20 years too so im no novice when it comes to driving in the snow.going to invest in some all weather tyres for next year's snow.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Not the case, Im coming across like I know a lot about how different cars drive in the snow, which after 20 years on the road, most of which has involved having no choice but to do long journeys in the winter, in a massive variety of vehicles, is of course the case, thats not knowing it all though its merely having a lot of variety to compare the renault sport to in order to put it in conext.

Indeed, and I would never claim otherwise, I do happen to know a lot about cars/engines/mapping/turbos and that sort of thing but my knowledge of cross stitch is non existant for example, and I know very little about netball or thai cuisine either.

If the context is that of small fwd hatchbacks, the sports are quite poorly equipped for the snow. They have little ground clearnance under the front bumper/splitter and have too wide a footprint for their mass.

You'd get stuck despite car being superb? lol

Thats kind of like a bird being "attractive for a fat chick"?

I thought the context here was small FWD Hot hatchbacks, not just hatchbacks. Superb meaning better than good. So of all the Hot hatches I have driven in snow the Clio is atleast joint first, if not first.

If the conext is, vehicles that perform superbly in snow, then of course the 182 wouldn't be up there!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I thought the context here was small FWD Hot hatchbacks, not just hatchbacks. Superb meaning better than good. So of all the Hot hatches I have driven in snow the Clio is atleast joint first, if not first.

If the conext is, vehicles that perform superbly in snow, then of course the 182 wouldn't be up there!

If you are talking hot hatches, its about average, anything with an LSD has a distinct advantage over it obviously, but other than that all hot hatches are much of a muchness in terms of tending to have wide tyres and lack of ground clearance etc.

Having a hot hatch thats "good in the snow for a hot hatch" is kind of like having a greyhound thats really quick "for a 3 legged dog"

Listerine & Poledo
Any snow tyres in here yet?

Or is the thread really

172 + Snow + 2mm tread on R888s = Fail

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Any snow tyres in here yet?

Yes, Winter tyres have been mentioned loads of times mate as a way of improving the poor snow abilities of these cars.

Or is the thread really

172 + Snow + 2mm tread on R888s = Fail

One fella reckons his 888s give him great grip on snow cause of the increased surface area, lol

Listerine & Poledo
Mace set the Castle Combe lap record on a snow-covered track, using a 1.172 on racing slicks.

It did have lowz, and a bucket

williams and trophy
Cool noise, but just not something i'd have a use for, too thirsty for a daily, useless on country lanes and useless on trackdays, thas only thing I tend to use cars for really.
Sure it would be pleasant over in florida if you wanted to just go for a long seaside drive etc in good weather though.

still a bit confused on your logic tbh. i mean theres plenty cars more economical than a clio, for your daily, theres quite a few better on track, and down the country lanes.....well a 172 anyway.

so remind me again. why do you own one?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
still a bit confused on your logic tbh. i mean theres plenty cars more economical than a clio, for your daily, theres quite a few better on track, and down the country lanes.....well a 172 anyway.

so remind me again. why do you own one?

I have a more economical daily, and I have better cars for on track, but we have this one too because it makes a good compromise between a second daily and backup trackday hack.
It doesnt do any one thing superbly but it does everything well, more a case of there being no good reason not to own one really, everyone should have one :)