ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 sounding like suburu and smelling like socks

phase 1 172
hey guys would like some advice/ solution!

on the way home after taking a very slow corner as i started to accelerate the exhaust sounded like an impreza with a deep burble!! when i reached home the dash light (the one looking like a transmission symbol) started to flash

also noticed there was a heavy cataytic converter smell so my first conclusion was manifold or catalytic issues

any info would be greatly appreciated

phase 1 172
i`m guessing definately over fueling but would a manifold/ catalytic issue cause this??

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
check your spark plugs/leads.

i had this and my head had forced my spark plug out and was making a subaru noise

carl

R26
powey, anyway i can check if this is the problem without replacing it?

Eurocar parts do a basic coil pack for around £30.....not horrendously expensive to test and works fine (my 182 ran perfectly fine with it)

Fail that, have a look at the spark plugs and check they are ok (not blackened) Again, eurocarparts do a universal plug that is about £5. It will run like its powered by coal but lets you know if the plug was at fault.

R26
Eurocar parts do a basic coil pack for around £30.....not horrendously expensive to test and works fine (my 182 ran perfectly fine with it)

Fail that, have a look at the spark plugs and check they are ok (not blackened) Again, eurocarparts do a universal plug that is about £5. It will run like its powered by coal but lets you know if the plug was at fault.

read my post^?

HT leads are £80 odd for decent uprated ones from KTR.

Injectors...pass

phase 1 172
UPDATE GUYS!

just replaced the spark plugs and it appears to have solved the problem

the engine light is still on though so was just checking if this indicates another probem or will it take time before its goes off

cheers for all the posts guys