ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 speaker wire - & +

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Fitting some new speakers to my 172 cup & the previous owner has done a crap job,just cut the wires and wrapped around the speaker terminals.

So my question is,what colour wires are the - & + ones please?.i cant seem to see anything on the wires to tell me.

172 Ph2
Should be able to remove the head unit and test for continuity (assuming the head unit has symbols at the plug)

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Should be able to remove the head unit and test for continuity (assuming the head unit has symbols at the plug)

Isn't there an easier way mate please,like just take the speaker off and test the wires with a multimeter?.

To be honest ive never used a multimeter so wouldnt know what setting to use

Thanks tho mate for the reply

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Front LH

Beige +
Pink -

Front RH

Green +
Brown -

Rear LH

Grey/Black +
Red-y/Pink -

Rear RH

Browny/purple +
Grey/Black -

I found this after searching a bit

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Also found this
Front LH Speaker

Beige: Positive
Pink: Negative

Front RH Speaker

Rear LH Speaker

Rear RH Speaker

Brown: Positive
Green: Negative

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
So went out this morning to finish off the wiring.
The person who owned the cup before me fitted 16.5cm speakers in the front and not wired properly as you can see,prob bit of a reason why it doesnt sound to right,being 16.5cm wont sit in the whole properly,so will be ordering some 13cm ones soon to fit.

Also the rear speaker wires are a different colour to what it says on the above post.
Purple kind of colour and looks like a yellow for the other.
7C955F36-73BA-487E-9EC0-7A998E4F0E7E.jpeg

Listerine & Poledo
Did they also leave the tweeters in place in the dash, and is this all going from a standard head unit?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I bought one the other day,but then @Gus posted up a reply of what color is what.
To be honest i dont know how to use the multimeter on how to check polarity,what setting to have it on??
Put it on volts (20), then turn on the radio. Put a multimeter probe on each wire. If it reads a positive number you have the polarity correct, if it's negative it's the other way round. Wire up to the speaker accordingly.

Listerine & Poledo
Tweeters are working & no its from a New Kenwood headunit mate,not looking for major results just something bit better and set/wired up properly.
If you've having to buy replacements, you'd do well to just find some normal OEM speakers then. You certainly don't need co-axial speakers in the front door, especially if the tweets are still in place.

OEM speakers and an small underseat sub will bring far better results than trying to get clever with the speakers...short of pouring multiple hundreds into the setup

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Im not looking at spending loads & yep i agree i dont need coxial speakers being it has tweeters in the front,so just going to look for componet speakers or orginals maybe.Those speakers were already in mate i havnt fitted them
@Goodj

Thanks mate will look at doing that @Louis

Listerine & Poledo
Sounds like a plan. :up:

Get these
Get this

and that's your Audio sorted, all for less than a good set of front components....which would need an amp....and a load of sound deadening in the door.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Put it on volts (20), then turn on the radio. Put a multimeter probe on each wire. If it reads a positive number you have the polarity correct, if it's negative it's the other way round. Wire up to the speaker accordingly.

I'm guessing the meter will have AC and DC settings. If so, make sure it's on DC (the straight line symbol not the wavey one).

Edit: Actually, are speakers AC?

Listerine & Poledo
What about duel cone speakers or just look for componet ones? @Goodj
Dual cone is a cheaper way of doing co-ax. Given you have separate tweeters anyway, both of these are a step back.
Just get some standard Renault ones back in there.
To change out the wiring to install new components isn't as simple as changing the tweeter and woofer alone, in many cases you'll be running new wires too. The exception would be a set of THESE, but even then, to make these worth having you'd be looking at adding an amp.

Standard speakers. Little sub. done.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
What makes the orginal speakers so much better than any aftermarket ones?.

I will look into standard front speakers & test the wiring.

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's right. It just means it reads upto 20v so it keeps the decimal in the right place. As if you were measuring 0.1v with it set to 600v it would read as 0, even though there would be a voltage.

Listerine & Poledo
No bothers fella. Unless the last owner has savaged the mounts, all you'll need to do is get your wires right and tight.

Listerine & Poledo
It's not so much that the OEM speakrs are better, but they will be better than what @MrBlonde was running.

If @Chris_Beer's speaker are held in right, using those spacers, the should be fine.

Just....you're not going to get "banging choons" from a 13cm car speakers, no matter what. Hence why I say stay standard and add sub.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I actually fitted them this morning mate and @Goodj was actaully right about them,much better than what i had in already.So if anything just replace the rears with a 13cm aftermarket speaker & fronts with decent original ones,then just an aftermarket headunit @Chris_Beer

Listerine & Poledo
I actually fitted them this morning mate and @Goodj was actaully right about them,much better than what i had in already.So if anything just replace the rears with a 13cm aftermarket speaker & fronts with decent original ones,then just an aftermarket headunit @Chris_Beer

This needs stickying. ;)

On the point on rear speakers...... if they aint broke, don't replace 'em. If they are, replace them with OEM. Just as with the fronts, unless you're going to add an amp, baller-brand speakers will do nothing better.

Pour money into headunit and an underseat sub instead. Believe me.
1igyrc.jpg

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Really good to be honest mate,for the price and original ones there much better & bass/mid sounds better, but then I can only compare them to what I had in,which were the wrong size at 16.5cm.So if low/mid budget get original speakers, if loads of money maybe try high end set up,but then who's knows how good they are for the money compared to the original speakers.

I would just get a decent head unit,good original speakers in the front.Rears I don't think matters to much,as long as there not farting to much.

@Chris_Beer