ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Sport Standard Exhaust System

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
My 172 Sport has just turned three years old and has just had its exhaust replaced with a standard original spec one, which I got through a local exhaust fitter (I didn't want an after-market stainless steel exhaust that might have been too loud for me). This was a little cheaper than the price quoted by the Renault dealer.

Having now had it fitted, the replacement exhaust sounds slightly noisier than the exhaust that came off the car (before it started blowing) and so I wondered should I have paid a little more and got the proper dealer Renault exhaust.

In passing, the place fitted the replacement exhaust mentioned that they got the exhaust from some central manufacturer who apparantly supplies Renault dealers with exhausts when factory-fitted ones need replacing - the back box does looks different from the factory-fitted one.

I wasn't sure what to do, and at the same time didn't want to pay more for an exhaust from the Renault dealer only to have found it would have come from the same central supplier.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should have gone for the Renault dealer's exhaust - would that one have been identical to the original factory-fitted one?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i was under the impression that you could only get 172/182 o.e exhausts through renult themselves?

Sold the sport :(
Aye what I was told as well - only Renault make the zorst - gotta admit mine is loud for what is apparently a standard system, was wondering it they were all like that?

Si

angclio said:
In passing, the place fitted the replacement exhaust mentioned that they got the exhaust from some central manufacturer who apparantly supplies Renault dealers with exhausts when factory-fitted ones need replacing - the back box does looks different from the factory-fitted one.
There are cheaper aftermarket O type replacment places I cannot thionk of any names of the top of my head.

There a slight proper thoug with what you say about a Renault supplier as proper Renault warently work parts are supplid by Renault Uk not any back strret place and Renault Uk pay the parts pricer. Dealers might use another place for cars where owners are paying themsleves though.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Thanks very much for your comments - having just had this non-Renault dealer "standard" replacement exhaust fitted today, I'll be interested to see how it settles down once its sooted up a bit. Out of curiosity the next time I'm passing my local Renault dealer I might ask their parts department to have a quick look at the back box to see if they think its broadly the same as the one as they would have supplied.

Just a wee bit concerned that what was a smooth but quiet quick car might now have a less than ideal (though not obstrusive but noticeable) exhaust drone.

Many thanks again.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
i was under the impression that you could only get 172/182 o.e exhausts through renault themselves?

Thats what i was led to believe also . When i had my 172 i went to the local ATS and they told me they had to get it from Renault . That was about 3 years ago though . Maybe there are some manufacturers of replacement 172 exhausts now ?