ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Sports Cat Guide

*Not sure if fitting a spots cat warrants a guide as it is quite simple but thought I would do 1 any way*

I fitted a Janspeed sports cat today to my 172 (2003) and have produced a quick guide to help any 1 else thinking of doing the same. Even though it is a basic job it can take a while (took me approx 2hrs) as some of the bolts are tricky to get to and it requires 2 people.

Uninstalling the original Cat

• I started off by jacking the car up and placing the front end on axel stands.
• I then climbed under the car and unplugged the 2 wires going to the 2 sensors on the cat and then removed the sensors using a 22mm spanner (I made sure I didn’t mix up the sensors as I wanted to put them back in the same order).
• I then loosened the two 13mm nuts and bolts which connected the cat to the exhaust.
• The hard bit was to remove the 2, 10mm bolts which connected the cat to the manifold. To do this you need to get some 1 to place and hold a socket from the engine side of the bolts (remove engine cover to make access easier) while you get a socket on the other side and slowly undo the bolt (A ¼ drive ratchet is recommended as you don’t have much room and just keep going it will eventually come off).
• Once the 10mm bolts are off, fully remove the 13mm bolts from the opposite end and the cat should come off (a metal gasket should come off as well from the back of the cat).

The 10mm bolts look like this and the washers/caps should be replaced in this order.

eba00500497f00000022.jpg

eba00500497f00000021.jpg

Installing the new Sports Cat

• I then installed the 2 sensors in the new cat (in the order they came off).
• Climbed back under the car; held the cat in position with the gasket whilst loosely tightening the 13mm nuts/bolts.
• Thread the 10mm bolts from the engine side and tighten the nuts up from the underside making sure they went back in the order from the diagram.
• Tighten the 13mm nuts up at the back of the cat.
• Plugged in the sensors.
• Ran the engine and checked for leaks.

*Not sure if this is the correct/best way to do this but it worked for me :) *

Take it for a test drive, Job Done!

Note - When I started the car the service light came on which I was warned could happen but after taking it for a good run it has now turned off and appears to be off for good, if it doesn’t turn off I think there is a way of turning it off through the ECU.

Some pics of my old cat and new 1, guess which is which.

eba00500497f00000020.jpg

eba00500497f00000019.jpg

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
cheers m8. the two springs on the down pipe is the hardest thing i have evry had to do!

1998 BMW e46 323i
Gaz you are a Genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for making this walkthrough.

John

TDI tyre shreader
when tightening up the sprung manifold bolts i used a socket on a flexible joint then a large extension bar with a mate dangling over the engine with a spanner on the bolts

1998 BMW e46 323i
I dismantled it all myself but had an ageing stepfather do the dangling over the engine when re-fitting.

Without the articulated socket extension you'd be in deep doo doo

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
What exhaust you got on it ? What's the verdict ? Much louder go any better ?
Thinking of gettin one of these myself.

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Ive got standard cat and exhaust at the mo, trying to get it all off (done the exhaust) so can put on my decat and full stainless system. Cant get the bloody cat off tho, the 10mm spring loaded bolts are a nightmare, gonna take the dremel to them tomorrow and see if can cut them off........