ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Stalling & Not Restarting

Revels Mum & Sister
I have done a good search and a lot seems to point at the TDC sensor however not so sure.

PH2 172 has started stalling sometimes (Not all the time!) at lights, when it does it the fooker will not restart just cranksa dn cranks. However turn ignition off, key out and then restart and she fires up straight away.

Is it worth replacing my TDC sensor or could it be something else? Just suddenly started doing it. Nothing has been changed recently either.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It could either be the immobiliser ring behind/around the ignition barrel (although less likely), the chip in the key on it's way out, but more likely than not the TDC Sensor.

New TDC Sensors have a small loom tail to replace both the plug on the engines wiring loom and the sensor itself (usually pink/beige I think). Check and see if yours has been done, if not, get it done, then go from there.

Cheers

Tom

Revels Mum & Sister
Just looked and nope it is the old black type. Replace that then I reckon. Best place to get them from? Or is it a ren OEM part only?

Cheers sailor

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
LOL tbh, i have no idea. I C&P seans reply from the other thread to look clever.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If it was the TDC sensor, taking the key out and putting it back in would make no difference. Things like bumping it etc are all that affects it, as it often moves the sensor around and sort of fires it back into life. Even just wobbling the thing whilst trying to start the car normally works.

Yours sounds much more like what Tom has mentioned.

Revels Mum & Sister
I have had another look and noticed there is only one bolt holding the TDC sensor in! It is on very tight but needless to say it has obviously been out before or perhaps worked loss. I have give it a clean off and it seems to start quicker. Not sure if this is me imagining it.

With regards to keys both keys do the same as it has happened with me driving and the missus with different keys. So I cannot see both these being knackered. Also the Immob light does go out, it only happens on idle as well.

I may as well chuck on another TDC anyway. If this does not cure it then I will look at the immoboliser ring.