ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 that drops into ’Limp Home Mode’

Hi all,

Ive recently purchased an Imported secondhand Clio 172 02 plate - Ive done about 1000 odd miles since buying it and now its got a BIG problem, it keeps on dropping into Limp mode, whenever it feels like it - I got the RAC out the first time it did it, they plugged in a laptop and told me to take it to a Renault dealers and tell them that the oxygen sensor and the throttle sensor are showing problems.
So I did and they replaced the throttle potentiometer, when pushed renault paid 70% of the price of the potentiometer and fitting as the warranty is out as car is an import and over two years of age so this cost me £200 - I then picked up the car and didnt even get it 3 miles home before Limp mode kicked in again. So back to the garage - they now are telling me it needs a new throttle body fitted which renault wont pay anything towards (so the garage are currently telling me)- this is gonna cost me 300+ quid then fitting costs and they wont guarantee that this will fix my problems. What should I do - A car that is only just over 2 years of age shouldnt be doing this...I brought it privately so theres no going back, I also got the RAC to do a check before buying it.

The garage are telling me that I should just have an open check book and theyll eventually fix the problem - this I just dont have (already paided 200 quid for something that didnt need doing) Ive seen a letter floating around this site about an extended warranty on imported cars, will this do me any good?

Any help muchly appreciated.

I think it depends when the car was registered - IIRC the date for registration was around Sept 2002, if the car was registered after this then I should be given the full 3 years warranty. Unfortunately if your car is 2 years old then this seems unlikely and will probably only have 1 years warranty (unless the owner took out an extended warranty? if so are these transferable?)

I also dont think its fair that they cannot guarentee the work they do will fix the problem - could you try another dealer?

not a clio anymore

Call Renault Customer Services and explain that Renault fixed a problem that didnt fix anything and that that is not good and you want them to fix the problem you had originally. Have a rant at them and explicitly say you want Renault to contribute to the cost of repair. It may not work, but its worth trying. (They have fixed stuff for me after nagging them a bit)

I"ve had the "If you have an open check book we could probably fix it" response from dealers before. Think basically they are saying that they dont have a clue whats wrong with it so they will just end up changing verything until eventually its fixed! Pretty poor in my opinion!

Lee

BMW M2C

I cant offer any help Im afraid, but Id not be at all impressed with the way the main dealer you used like to work. Anyone can fix a problem if they throw enough money at it. They should be able to diagnose it and fix it!!

Heres the letter: http://www.leemather.plus.com/stuff/rw.jpglink I seem to remember someone saying you have to apply for it within the first 12 months though?

320d M Sport

this is occuring more and more now.

this problem i mean.

I had it on my 172, turned out to be throttle potentiometres, but it took reno 3 months to diagnose (and me nearly killing myself all the time).

in the end they replaced the sensors + maybe an inlet manifold (not sure?)

i sent a huge complaint letter to Reno UK + Customer services, it got binned.

i wrote another one, they emailed back saying i was entitled to nothing, not even my petrol to the garage.

They told me it was an isolated incident. I can tell u now they wont pay for it, theyre tw*ts. Due to this im never having a Reno again, u really are gonna regret buying this car unless reno fix it.....

172beast

What Paddy said, Renault customer services are a joke, Renault build qualitys a joke, love my 172 but had to have a new gearbox and clutch at 30,000 miles, not what you expect.

Is it a MK1 172?

Changing the TB wont do anything since the potentiometer is the onlything the ECU sees in that area.

Its proably another sensor like the lambda providing no info so the engine is running in what it knows to be safe. TO run in closed loop with no data feed could result in possible damage.

320d M Sport

AND,........

if it keeps happenin u get the emmisions light eventually.

AND........

whem u turn the engine on + off it doesnt store the fault (I;ve seen it with my own eyes). Reno had to drive mine till it broke, then drive it back to reno (f**ked) and then plug it in.

i aint typin no more, its pissin me off!

Volvo S60 T5

My one done exactly the same thing, would not go over 3000 rpm and the light came on.

I replaced the motorised throttle body and pedal, been fine ever since.

Street Triple R

My Mums 1.4 16v had a Very similar problem, took months for renault to figure out what was wrong with it, they "fixed" it...it went again....they "fixed" it etc etc

In the end (so far anyway) it has been traced to the wiring loom (after changing virtually everything under the bonnet), and there are lots of these problems appearing now on all newish clios we were told:cry:

GW Clio 200

I had the same thing on my Cup, and I spoke to Paddy bout this prob when I encountered it...and yes I was returning to Renault to sort it out time after time!!

It took 3 weeks and cost my dealer alot of money to correct, my problems where identical to those mentioned by Paddy!!

This is one of the reasons why I buy a new car ever 2 - 3 years, the warranty to me is worth its weight in gold!!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 25 August 2004

Is it a MK1 172?

Changing the TB wont do anything since the potentiometer is the onlything the ECU sees in that area.

Its proably another sensor like the lambda providing no info so the engine is running in what it knows to be safe. TO run in closed loop with no data feed could result in possible damage.
02 will be a phase 2 with fly by wire. if so it has 4 potentiometers. 2 in the pedal sensor to read throttle position request and 2 in the throttle body so the ecu can accuratly control/check throttle butterfly position. have changed quite a few throttle bodies and pedals for variuos faults.

This maybe a dead issue for some but Im having the exact same problem with the limp home mode and then after a while the toxic fume warning light. On top of this... The reserve fuel light is on even though the dial reads 1/4 tank full... They seem to be taking their time with it, fail to call me back with updates after I phone and not even a mention their side of any courtesy car while my car is in the work shop!? This is crap!

Adam

Titanium ph1 turbo

its a pity you cant find someone with a 172 who is prepared to swap parts with you to help you diagnose it without the expense of paying for new parts from renault....

Just for the record, my 172 is an import registered in March 2002. The previous owners Renault dealer had no problem honouring the warranty during the 3rd year.

Megane R26

Hi,

That warranty letter is the letter I received from Renault when I queried how much warranty I would get on my 51 plate 172 imported from Belgium.

When I needed warranty work to be done at a Renault dealer I took the letter as I was expecting an argument from them, service took one look at my car and said you dont need the letter, we know it has 3 years warranty as it is a 51 plate. I dont know where you are based, but that was Renault Croydon.

R. Miller

GET RID OF YOUR CLIOS!

Ive got a 172 (02) and have never been happy with Renaults service, when i first got my 172 i noticed an alarm type sound coming from the engine when the ignition was on. I took it to Renault and i was told it was normal, i wasnt sure so i went to another dealer and another mechanic told me that something needed replacing, i took it back to the original dealer, someone else looked at it and they booked it in and replaced something. I got the car back and i checked it and i told them it was still making this noise. I was then told by someone that this noise is normal and they showd me on 3 other 172s they had on the forecourt, and sure enough they all made this noise! Stupid of me i know but id never had a clio!. More stupidly Renault changed a part which wasnt faulty!.. Thick Pillocks.I tell you Renault Mechanics at this garage where i bought my 172 must all be on their 1st year of YTS. or their GNVQ level 1. t**sers.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I had the same problem with the car going into get u home mode.. but it was just that my GF had been overenthusiastic with the pressure washer and got water somwhere it shouldnt have been ;)

As trivial as that may seem I only started having the problem after I washed the car last week but Ive presure washed it so many times without problems... Who knows...

Update from Renault, by the sounds of what theyre saying theyve replaced half the damn engine to find the problem... YAY! They say itll be ready after 4pm today! GET IN MY SON!!! :)

4pm is ticking ever closer... I would take it anywhere anyone recommended if it wasnt all warenty work! I aint gotta pay for it so might as well let Renault do it, even though Im not entirely sure they know whats going on.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by SOOTY on 03 June 2005

GET RID OF YOUR CLIOS!

Ive got a 172 (02) and have never been happy with Renaults service, when i first got my 172 i noticed an alarm type sound coming from the engine when the ignition was on. I took it to Renault and i was told it was normal, i wasnt sure so i went to another dealer and another mechanic told me that something needed replacing, i took it back to the original dealer, someone else looked at it and they booked it in and replaced something. I got the car back and i checked it and i told them it was still making this noise. I was then told by someone that this noise is normal and they showd me on 3 other 172s they had on the forecourt, and sure enough they all made this noise! Stupid of me i know but id never had a clio!. More stupidly Renault changed a part which wasnt faulty!.. Thick Pillocks.I tell you Renault Mechanics at this garage where i bought my 172 must all be on their 1st year of YTS. or their GNVQ level 1. t**sers.
bet it was the motorised throttle body making the noise. a lot of them do it with just the ing on. its not a problem.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by adam nardone on 03 June 2005

This maybe a dead issue for some but Im having the exact same problem with the limp home mode and then after a while the toxic fume warning light. On top of this... The reserve fuel light is on even though the dial reads 1/4 tank full... They seem to be taking their time with it, fail to call me back with updates after I phone and not even a mention their side of any courtesy car while my car is in the work shop!? This is crap!

Adam

what is it? 1.2/1.4/1.6 or 172?

As stated previously call Renault customer services stating they did not fix the problem previously ultimately cuasing you to purchase part not needed. An import will only come with 2 years warranty so no luck there. You will be able to take out extended warranty as long as you dont state a problem with car but again whatever problem is may not be covered!

I would speak to manager at garage first to explain that problem should have been fixed the first time.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 03 June 2005
Quote: Originally posted by SOOTY on 03 June 2005GET RID OF YOUR CLIOS! Ive got a 172 (02) and have never been happy with Renaults service, when i first got my 172 i noticed an alarm type sound coming from the engine when the ignition was on. I took it to Renault and i was told it was normal, i wasnt sure so i went to another dealer and another mechanic told me that something needed replacing, i took it back to the original dealer, someone else looked at it and they booked it in and replaced something. I got the car back and i checked it and i told them it was still making this noise. I was then told by someone that this noise is normal and they showd me on 3 other 172s they had on the forecourt, and sure enough they all made this noise! Stupid of me i know but id never had a clio!. More stupidly Renault changed a part which wasnt faulty!.. Thick Pillocks.I tell you Renault Mechanics at this garage where i bought my 172 must all be on their 1st year of YTS. or their GNVQ level 1. t**sers.[/QUOTE]bet it was the motorised throttle body making the noise. a lot of them do it with just the ing on. its not a problem.

lol, it was probably the fuel pump.