ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 to 182, worth it??

Pearl Black 172
I've currently got a black 53reg 172, black standard wheels ktec stealth, few bits etc. Really love RB 182's and part of me is thinking about saving a bit of cash and upgrading to a FF Rb 182.

But is it really worth it, is there much difference in how they drive and how many people who have done they same transition thought it was worth it?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
There is nothing in it due to the weight factor involved >

Clio 182 Weight > 1080

Clio 172 Weight > 1110

The difference of 70kg's in weight with only 10bhp to compensate isnt exactly sufficient, i suspect the heros in the 172 Cups will be along just shortly to shoot me down but there you go

MCS R56
There is nothing in it due to the weight factor involved >

Clio 182 Weight > 1080

Clio 172 Weight > 1110

The difference of 70kg's in weight with only 10bhp to compensate isnt exactly sufficient, i suspect the heros in the 172 Cups will be along just shortly to shoot me down but there you go

That's the Cup weight, 182 is the same as the 172.

Turbo LY R27
^^^ +1 Cup heros will be along shortly :eek:

Im a R27 hero so i say get that lol.

I think its worth it, newer car, better handling, nicer zorst better colour range etc etc. As stated and will prob be stated in every post there isnt lots in it, but i remember when i was test driving 17/182's there was enough of a difference. imo they felt more urgent, felt better on the road (cup packs) and looked more sporty.

My opinion tho, i would do it.:D

TTRS & V50
Im also in the same kettle of fish.

197 is a much pricier option, with not a lot of pros.

I'd rather get a astra vxr or foccy st than a 197.

RB 182 cup
ive just gone from a monaco 172 to a RB 182 cup

now i more than happy, it feels so different i cant expalin it, its just feels so much better lol

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've had both. Don't do it. A coilovered 172 is a far better car. And the exhausts cheaper to replace when it falls off. And you won't get stranded by a flat tyre. And you'll get 10% more mpg out of the 172.
Coilover+Remap+Seats (sell originals).

White clique
I had a 172 02 plate and traded up to a 182 04 plate with cup packs. Main defferences were better exhaust note, obviously the handling as mine had the cup pack, and a lack of 6 disc changer.

Apart from that i couldnt tell the difference to be truthful. It was just a means to get into a newer car.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My 172 drove far better than my 182, 182s just don't "flow" hard to describe it.

I had 3..172 then a 172 cup and a 182 cup

I prefer the 182 cup by miles
Just the sheer colour alone is sick nothing like it..
Feels wonderful to drive a lot better then the previous 2 i had..

Mini Cooper S sport
I went from a black 172 to a FF racing blue 182, and never regretted the decision. The 182 was far better to drive than the 172.

Do it!

(re: the spare tyre issue, you can always buy one and keep it in the boot. Would never have a car without a spare wheel again after a blowout left me stranded until the AA came!)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I went from a black 172 to a FF racing blue 182, and never regretted the decision. The 182 was far better to drive than the 172.

Do it!

(re: the spare tyre issue, you can always buy one and keep it in the boot. Would never have a car without a spare wheel again after a blowout left me stranded until the AA came!)
Unfair to directly compare a new car to one thats got tired dampers etc. A 172 on coilovers will be the better drive, no doubt.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I've had both. Don't do it. A coilovered 172 is a far better car. And the exhausts cheaper to replace when it falls off. And you won't get stranded by a flat tyre. And you'll get 10% more mpg out of the 172.
Coilover+Remap+Seats (sell originals).

+1

Buy a set of AST, H&R's for your 172.

tiTTy & SV650
my 182 uncup'd was defo a better drive than my mk 172 comparing a 40k mile 182 with a 50k mile 172.

less torque steer, more grip and felt more planted comparing standard for standard.

I'd put 205 tyres on a 172 and koni/eibachs and that'd me happy

Renaultsport 200
Im also in the same kettle of fish.

197 is a much pricier option, with not a lot of pros.

I'd rather get a astra vxr or foccy st than a 197.

"with not a lot of pros?" are you on acid or something?

An ST?!!!

I know your entitled to your opinion man, but fook me.

I'm hanging my head here I really am. Jees!

Mini Cooper S sport
Unfair to directly compare a new car to one thats got tired dampers etc. A 172 on coilovers will be the better drive, no doubt.

Why is it unfair? It's true! You may well be right, but I'm just saying what I found.

I also much preferred the look and colour of the 182.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
TBH i wish id bought a 172 and saved a couple of grand. Same car bar the exhaust, colour selection and minor suspension difference. Having said that i love my 182 and i personally do like the twin exhausts.

fad

Clio 182 FF
I think quality varied in both models (too many friday cars maybe) So its all down to driving as many as you can then plumetting for the one that feels the best. I drove three 182's and 2 172's prior to buying my 182 and they all drove differently! In the end I plumetted for the one that felt the best and touch wood mines covered 35k in the last year without half the problems people seem to have on here?

tiTTy & SV650
my 172 doesnt feel as urgent in 3rd as the 182 did, If it's a slight downhill and i nail it in third thats how the 182 felt on the flat!

The 195 tyres are a terrible choice, barely fit the wheel and the p zero neros on the front were breaking traction as I was on the power.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
my 172 doesnt feel as urgent in 3rd as the 182 did, If it's a slight downhill and i nail it in third thats how the 182 felt on the flat!

The 195 tyres are a terrible choice, barely fit the wheel and the p zero neros on the front were breaking traction as I was on the power.
You could get that between 2 182's the engine's are so variable. Of the 5 rs's I've owned (2xph2 172's, 2x182's, 1x ph1) the first 172 ph2 was the fastest (by a hairs breadth), but there's bugger all between them.

Pearl Black 172
Seems to be more of a keep the 172 vote than spend all that extra cash on changing in terms of the performance benifits so is just simply for colour and style changes???

320d
PH2 172's are classed as some by too "soft" compared to 172 Cups, PH1 172's and 182s.

However with a good set of coilovers, the 172 will be ahead of the others because there isn't realy a great deal of difference.

I'd also consider a remap, matched inlets and decat for your 172. It will improve the driveability greatly. I see that your 172 is on a 53 plate which will mean it has cruise control so it will have exactly the same interior spec as the 182.

If you go for the above upgrades you will have a car superior to the 182.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
PH2 172's are classed as some by too "soft" compared to 172 Cups, PH1 172's and 182s.

However with a good set of coilovers, the 172 will be ahead of the others because there isn't realy a great deal of difference.

I'd also consider a remap, matched inlets and decat for your 172. It will improve the driveability greatly. I see that your 172 is on a 53 plate which will mean it has cruise control so it will have exactly the same interior spec as the 182.

If you go for the above upgrades you will have a car superior to the 182.
Um, don't you have a 1.2?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Um, don't you have a 1.2?
Lol, I thought the same.

Never driven or been in either, but on looks alone would plump for the 182, as I prefer the look of them for the back, due to the twin exhausts.

Saying that though, if I already owned a 172, would probablt take alot for me to make the swap, as from looking at figures and spec etc, there doesn't seem to be alot in them.

Your car looks mint anyway way mate, seen you a few weeks back with the black wheels and it looked the dogs.

Have you took your private plate off btw? If not then there is a car round our way that is exactly the same as yours.