ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 TRE / Lower Ball Joint

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Done the driveshaft today and noticed the TREs and lower ball joints weren’t in the best of shape so may aswell change while I’m there.

Any links to what are the best recommended ones?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Done the driveshaft today and noticed the TREs and lower ball joints weren’t in the best of shape so may aswell change while I’m there.

Any links to what are the best recommended ones?
Lemforder for ball joints. Can‘t comment on track rod ends as always bought Renault. Might still be available.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
617745225 from euro for ball joints, they usually list the smaller non sport ones if you put your reg in, so use that part number.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Make sure you measure your current TRE as lots of different sizes out there.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I have the Lemforder TRE's on mine.

606745275 and 606745285 are the ones.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure you measure your current TRE as lots of different sizes out there.
Yep, having taken them off of mine from previous owner fitting them I noticed there was a different brand on each side.

It will get tracked up anyway once I have changed all the bits.

Anybody got a good track setup for me to base it on when I go for alignment?

I have camber boots fitted so can adjust

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member

These have gone up in price since I last done them on my old 172.
Sure they used to be about 15 quid each lol

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, having taken them off of mine from previous owner fitting them I noticed there was a different brand on each side.

It will get tracked up anyway once I have changed all the bits.

Anybody got a good track setup for me to base it on when I go for alignment?

I have camber boots fitted so can adjust

At least 1mm toe out and -2.5 to -3 camber on the front.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Any printouts so I can give to the guy doing it?

literally talking a different language to me there 😂

This is for track car btw just in case that makes a difference

No print out, mine is done by hand with camber gauges and string line.

The guy doing it will know what it means.

Those settings are a good start for track.

You will have to shim the rear stub axles if you find it's massively out.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
No print out, mine is done by hand with camber gauges and string line.

The guy doing it will know what it means.

Those settings are a good start for track.

You will have to shim the rear stub axles if you find it's massively out.
Cheers for the info James.

Appreciated as always 👍

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
617745225 from euro for ball joints, they usually list the smaller non sport ones if you put your reg in, so use that part number.

Just checking these are the correct ones as it does say doesn’t fit my vehicle from the reg - noted you said it would say that.

Presuming these aren’t handed so just order 2?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Just checking these are the correct ones as it does say doesn’t fit my vehicle from the reg - noted you said it would say that.

Presuming these aren’t handed so just order 2?

Definitely those, i have the email with the part number on from when i last ordered.

Yeah just order two, not sided.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Tried fitting ball joints and TRE today - the lemforder ones and I’ve had a mare.

Because I have the TRE and ball joint both out at the same time, the hub is able to move everywhere - still connected to the strut.

I can’t seem to work out how to line up the lower arm and the pinch bolt so I can get the ball joint in place correctly.

Do I need to pry the lower arm down? Push the strut up?
I’m about to smash it to pieces.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Tried fitting ball joints and TRE today - the lemforder ones and I’ve had a mare.

Because I have the TRE and ball joint both out at the same time, the hub is able to move everywhere - still connected to the strut.

I can’t seem to work out how to line up the lower arm and the pinch bolt so I can get the ball joint in place correctly.

Do I need to pry the lower arm down? Push the strut up?
I’m about to smash it to pieces.
Can you post pics? Walk away from it. It’s easy to get frustrated and end up damaging something else.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Can you post pics? Walk away from it. It’s easy to get frustrated and end up damaging something else.
No photos as it’s dark in the unit now.

It’s probably just me being dumb. I’ll go back down tomorrow and re asses.

I thought it was going to be a 2 minute job as I had everything already stripped down but I just couldn’t get the ball joint low enough to fall into place.

Is the best approach to put the two bolts in and fixed on the lower arm and then lever it down for the ball joint to slot into the pinch bolt or the other way around?

I can see what needs to be done but it’s being a bugger 😂

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
If it was me, I’d remove the damper from the hub, attach the ball joints to the wishbones and then to the hub, fit the new TREs, attach those to the hub, then refit the dampers. You’re not fighting with it then.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
If it was me, I’d remove the damper from the hub, attach the ball joints to the wishbones and then to the hub, fit the new TREs, attach those to the hub, then refit the dampers. You’re not fighting with it then.

Yeah I was thinking that was my issue as I had no wiggle room up and down.

Main reason for not taking out the damper was because I didn’t want to mess with the camber bolts but I think I’m going to have to.

I will be getting it re set up anyway so not really sure why I didn’t in the first place 😂

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Main reason for not taking out the damper was because I didn’t want to mess with the camber bolts but I think I’m going to have to.
yeah I figured there was a reason you were fighting with it. Been there 😂

I remember sticking a jack under the wishbone, trying to get the spindle from the ball joint lined into the hub. I managed it but what a carry on trying to get the pinch bolt in without whacking it with a mallet. All because I was trying to avoid disturbing the camber set up.

I’m sure other people do it differently, but I prefer to stick to what works best for me.

JayD

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 (ph2)
Make sure the opposite front wheel is also jacked up, as it's likely you're fighting against the anti roll bar.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure the opposite front wheel is also jacked up, as it's likely you're fighting against the anti roll bar.
IMG_1507.jpeg

Up on blocks at the moment so both off the ground.

I’m going to attempt this again today as I’ve had no sleep 😂

Will get more pics when I’m at the car

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
This is where I’m at.
Not my picture but looks exactly the same from a vid I have watched on YouTube but he skips past getting it in line 😒

IMG_1669.png

How am I getting that to where it needs to be to get the nuts on the bottom of the lower arm?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Get a jack under there and a long screwdriver to lever it across to get one bolt started.

Bmac

ClioSport Club Member

What's the difference between the two if they are not side specific?

Do you have the part number of the tie rods themselves? they're not specific to 172 and cup versions are they?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
What's the difference between the two if they are not side specific?

Do you have the part number of the tie rods themselves? they're not specific to 172 and cup versions are they?

The ends are side specific, it's the ball joints that are not.

Don't know the number for the tie rods, i use the Renault ones which are all the same for Ph2's with the SMI steering rack. It's only the Ph1 with the TRW rack that were different.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT

I can't find any lemforder balljoint on my local online part store with this code. Maybe because I'm based in the EU and not in the UK? The ones that appear to be the right part have the 2889203 code attached (they have the M12 size bolts as they should)

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I can't find any lemforder balljoint on my local online part store with this code. Maybe because I'm based in the EU and not in the UK? The ones that appear to be the right part have the 2889203 code attached (they have the M12 size bolts as they should)
Try Lemforder 2889203, believe that's the same as above, but double check.