ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Turbo On its Way!!

Hi guys n girlies

Spk to BB Performance tuning today and asked them how they are getting on with the turbo kit for the 172. The guy said that it will be available from the early part of next yr.

Price will be roughly £4500+VAT and they will need the car from 3-4 wks. A lot of money I know but he said that youll be looking at about a 100BHP increase with similar torque figures. Its a very nice!!!!

Scott

C

Cupster

Thats madness, I cant even think of how quick that will be, is there any estimated performance figures yet mate? Do you know if that price will include any chassis mods (brakes, suspension etc)? Are you gonna go for it?

Thats a silly amount of money for a mod. lets face it, you could pay for engine mods to suit 100bhp nitrous jets on a 172 -and youd still have about £3500 in your pocket. Sod that!! And all because we want to fit a dump valve?

C

Cupster

Turbo kick is the nuts though innit!:D

Would love to get that done

CTR EK9 turbo

If i had the money then maybe. I think if it had any more power than 250 bhp itl become a real handful around the twisties, youd have to train that right foot of yours! prepare to make friends with Mr. Chessington.....

The ultimate stealth mobile tho! nice.

Nissan R35 GT-R

Its not a silly amount if you think about it. You could fit 100hp jets to a 172, but the turbo is better in the long run, and I would happily place a bet on which would blow up first.

For that 5 grand, youll be getting reliability as well as a turbo conversion. I wouldnt like to say how much reliability without looking at the spec list, but its bound to be more than an off the shelf nitrous kit.

Just my 2 pence worth.

BMW 320d Sport

Spot on Frosty (the snowman?) BB know their stuff. Cord - I dunno what your experience in these matters is, but as someone who has tried lots of different routes to power, including for a lot of nitrous for about a year and a half, I can safely say Im sticking with my turbo conversion.

Nitrous is good stuff, but it can be an expensive habit. Nothing comes close to gas for bang-for-buck, but most people forget how quickly an 11lb bottle empties and how much it costs to refill, plus the precautions you have to take to run big shots eg +100hp on a 150hp 1.8 16v engine. My 1.8 16v turbo will be running a tidy 240bhp which I can use whenever I want and it costs me nothing except a bit more petrol.

Dont get me wrong, nitrous is wicked stuff, but look at the big picture and turbo is the way to go.

lol, it would be hilarious to get it done but id probably agree with ed there.

Theyve got ren 5s up to 565bhp..600bhp clio anyone?

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah but Eddddd thats what Mr Average would do. If you wanna be Mr Average then go ahead and sign up at the nearest showroom for a brand new Scooby. In fact why stop there, why not drive the Ultimate Driving Machine?

Or on the other hand why not keep the car you know and love and make it faster than a Scooby, for less money, just for the sake of doing it?

GR7

Shiny red R32

Master Chief

Captain Slarty was going to be spending most of December in Florida, so I assume he is still there.

320d M Sport

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Turbo 172..............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (said in Homer style voice). How Kin fast would that be?? traction probs i bet though?

BMW 320d Sport

I think once you start talking about turbocharging any Clio there will be a practical limit that you can use on the road, and it wont matter whether your base car is an old school F7 1.8 or 2.0, or a new F4R with the variable whatnots; 240/250bhp will be the sensible limit, just that the F4R will maybe run less boost, but of course it depends on the compression ratio so who knows.

Having driven the BB Clio Turbo myself I can say that 240bhp through front wheel drive is quite enough, you would struggle to lay down any more power than that without redesigning the drivetrain completely. Now BB havent done a half job or anything, the high boost conversion includes a bulletproof clutch in the price. I can foresee going back later this year to get mine reworked to give maybe 300bhp, but thats not gonna be for road use, the only place Ill be using that will be on the 1/4 mile. With great care!

CTR EK9 turbo

I remember seeing a highly body kitted Clio Turbo in Guildford a few years ago - i think it was blue? anyway, it was pretty fast i think - didnt really think anything about clios then(!) so i probably just thought, oh its got a turbo(!)It was being bump started - probably the battery was run flat from his bass install display or something.

Dont know whats happened to that thing. It was a Clio 16v shape with maybe the Dimma body kit - i really cant remember. Ill try and ask my friends to see if they remember?

May have been the 4x4 cosworth conversion? - was for sale a little while ago and shown on these pages. Imagine a 500 bhp 4x4 clio!!