ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Turbo or 16v Turbo

Suzuki SV1000S

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 03 November 2004

George - Prima arent exactly renowned. I think youll find it hard to pin anyone down whos had work done there and been over the moon about it. Or come to think of it anyone whos had work done there at all. Theyre just not a current player in the world of Clios. To get a standard 1764 valver engine to knock out 200bhp is a hell of a job and would require a lot of work and some wacko race cams. Kent themselves certainly wouldnt quote you 200bhp from any of their cams, let alone the fast road ones which are fairly mild.

As far as turbocharging a valver goes, Im not going to get into the same dull old arguments from people who think that by driving a turbo youre suddenly going to go into a ditch every time you put your foot down in a corner, or who moan about wheelspin. Who cares about wheelspin? So what! Its like going flat out on the motorway at 130 then complaining because you only did 10mpg. If you have a fast car, you have to live with wheelspin, and that goes just the same for RWD as well, its just that their easier to get off the line.

Best bet is to drive a BB demonstrator and see what you think, decide for yourself. My personal opinion is that the best bang per buck is with a low-boost valver conversion, which I can assure you will be plenty fast enough to leave them all standing - while theyre all whining about wheelspin, gearboxes and supposed turbo lag, youll have shown them a clean pair of heels. BTW, if wheelspin is such a problem then how come in my 11 year old valver, on low profile 17" road tyres, with no traction control, launch control or anything of that sort, I clocked a 0-60 in 5.57? In that same properly timed session at Donny South my worst run was only 5.8 or so!
Thanks Nick - Very helpful to have the opinion of someone who has had this done, and is obviouly of the same mind set! cheers mate!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Freakily I had a dream last night that I had a turbod valver sitting around doing nothing.

Wierd!!

Suzuki SV1000S

The price to supply and fit a fully modified cylinder head and Kent fast road cams is around £1900.00 and will take the power up to around 200 BHP. To supply and fit throttle bodies is £2950.00 - this will give 30-40 BHP. The throttle bodies are supplied with a fully programmable ECU which can re-mapped to accommodate any additional modifications.

Regards
Sean.

Do you think this part of what he is saying is true, as this may be good with the modifications I have to start with - Also do you think I should have this done somewhere else - price wise and quality of work wise? Am just thinking that with my current setu pof Remapped ECU, Induction Kit and Straight through Zorst system with the head work and Cams would probably be pretty good, and may suffice untill Turbo time, hehe

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..head and cams smt7 etc is a good base to start m8, give Andy a ring at GDI...mine is having it done now as it goes :cool: (do a search on here for their reputation...then do one for cough ahem "prima magic"), hope this helps..

Suzuki SV1000S

Quote: Originally posted by haitch on 04 November 2004

..head and cams smt7 etc is a good base to start m8, give Andy a ring at GDI...mine is having it done now as it goes :cool: (do a search on here for their reputation...then do one for cough ahem "prima magic"), hope this helps..
What are you having done, What power increase will you get and how much mate? Have spoken to andy in the past - he certainly nows what he is talking about!

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..hey George its basically as it says m8, head n cams etc smt7, im having quite a full package on that and there are various things you can have done its best to speak to Andy to see what is best for you eg what level of tune you want and obviously how much you want to spend, pm me if u wish as i dont wish to offend GDI or mislead potential customers by throwing figures around cos everybody has different requirements. no offence to Snufty or any other williams owners as they are great cars but firstly i wouldnt buy a second hand car to tune as the one i have is new and driven only by me so i know the engine is sound and there are no bits waiting to fall off or hidden dents,problems etc. secondly surley the williams engine is older; as in my 172 engine is older to a 182, so i could tb my engine and may well do yet, so why would i want to tb an older engine? if i was to buy another car it would be a 182...i like to move forward not back. at the time of buying mine i could have bought an evo or scooby...i didnt want one.

Dont bother spedning money on head work and cams if your going to turbo it.

Save the cash for the turbo instead.

Id save your money and go for throttle bodies and head work though.

You wont see 200hp from just head work and cams along with a remap though (in my view). 190 is about the best.

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 04 November 2004

You wont see 200hp from just head work and cams along with a remap though (in my view). 190 is about the best.

If hes already got a de-cat/exhaust/filter he will easily see 200 hp with inlet/headwork/cams/SMT

Suzuki SV1000S

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 05 November 2004

If hes already got a de-cat/exhaust/filter he will easily see 200 hp with inlet/headwork/cams/SMT
^^ I would expect to for the cost to be honest mate! Was my view too.

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 05 November 2004

Yep will need the intake doing as well.

Ive been thinging that the problem that since the injectors are only good for 208hp so any more than 180 and Id chicken out the SMT7 could run an extra injector and help you keep the injectors in a safe limit.