ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 TURBO!!

Corsa 2.0 16v baby

ok i heard that the megane 225 uses a 172 engine is this true??

if so then what parts do i need obviously the manifold, turbo, cooler etc, what about pistons are they the same (doubt it) compression? etc

ohh and ill need a dump valve :D

clio with 225 bhp = laters mr imprezza/r32/ctr etc

Gunna sort out a test drive of the Megane 225 and the 182 tonight when I pick mine up from its service.

Corsa 2.0 16v baby

dammit i got moist for a min then, teach me to listen to ford enthusiasts :cry:

any idea how much itll cost?

Might as well just swap the engine if you can find one. Im sure someone will do a turbo conversion for your engine. Aint gonna be cheap which ever way you do it.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 20 May 2004

Gunna sort out a test drive of the Megane 225 and the 182 tonight when I pick mine up from its service.
They might think you our just there as a test pilot if you want to drive them both. lol But then Dansta seems to get away with it. ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

nah the megane 225 engine is an f4 engine but its not a 172 engine with a turbo. simply slapped on

i thought it was a turbo vairant of the 136bhp vvt

Corsa 2.0 16v baby

can bits be used on the 172 to help with a conversion? any mechanics/renault heads out there.

Well.... interesting..... there are three cars running turbo variants of the F4R engine in the renault range... the Vel Satis, Avantime and the Megane RS....

The blocks are stronger designed, sumps are baffled, pistons are lower comp... etc etc etc.... lots of differences...

I beleive that they are based on the lower powered none vvt versions of the f4r blocks

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I thought all F4 engines had vvt?

the 2.0 in the laguna produces 140bhp (i assumed this has vvt)

the 2.0 in the megane produces 136bhp (but has vvt)

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Im sure it wont be long before a 225 is smashed up + written off, engine dropped in a clio, chipped etc.. that would be a f**kin beast!!

Clio RS 172

Hmm if its the same as the F4 engine the cranckshaft should fit the Willi and the F7P engine... heh!! Anyone knows what bore the RS drives and other engine specs?

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 20 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 20 May 2004

They might think you our just there as a test pilot if you want to drive them both. lol But then Dansta seems to get away with it. ;)

:D:oops:

oh and afaik it is the avantime engine mega tuned.

And lol at Rob. ;)

Clio RS 172

Roamer: Was told yesterday that the crank on the F4 will have a displacement og 82mm instead of the F7Ps 82,5mm. And it should fit firmly in the bay. I will let you guys know when i get my old engine out an splitted into atoms. just got a new engine with only 50.000 mph on the clock. So i gave up on restoring the old in the bay. So its gonna become the turboproject with prob. a F4 crank an 82,7 pistons and willy pistonrods. ;) Spesso head ect ect ect...

All sounds good but there will be other considerations...can the driveshafts cope, is there enogh room in the bay...not much at the moment. is the shell able to cope with increase in torque and power, or will it rip it apart, seen this on a gte turbo.

Brakes good enough? etc etc

Another thing, the traction will be a nightmare too.

Have dabbled with nova gte turbo conversions in the past and can be a nightmare!

But if things were sorted it would be a hoot! - maybe even quicker than a cup....nah cant be, silly me!

Quote: Originally posted by matt the cat on 20 May 2004

All sounds good but there will be other considerations...can the driveshafts cope, is there enogh room in the bay...not much at the moment. is the shell able to cope with increase in torque and power, or will it rip it apart, seen this on a gte turbo.

Brakes good enough? etc etc

Another thing, the traction will be a nightmare too.

Have dabbled with nova gte turbo conversions in the past and can be a nightmare!

But if things were sorted it would be a hoot! - maybe even quicker than a cup....nah cant be, silly me!
chuckle

Lionel Richie

keep watching chaps!!! coming soon!! :devilish:

BTW to look at the engine is virtually identical

Meggy RS uses the F4R 774

Vel Satis uses F4R 762/763

172/182 uses F4R somenumbericantremember

172 F4R730

Right......the turbo engine uses a different cylinder head casting, different cams, different block with oil drain holes, different crank (thougher) and different pistons.

On a whole you can easily create a hybrid using the 172 engine, but youd need the pistons, drill some return lines, the manifolds and downpipe and the exhaust cam. And if your decided to push it, the turbo crank.