ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 v 172 cup

hi
im looking to buy a clio 172 in the next month or so as im bored of my corsa.

just not too sure whether to get a cup or not. i want a comfy ride and all that and i do like the look of the cup in blue. just not sure which is the best to get.

can anyone give me an opinon, maybe someone whos driven both and the differences between the two?

thanks

Have a go on the search function mate. This is our favourite topic ;)

FWIW the main difference in terms of comfort is that most Cup's do not have air con. The suspension setup is more than bearable IMO

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
i used to own a 172FF and now am getting a 172 cup

the cup has a slightly harder ride, much better handling, has less noise reduction, no ABS, No climate, No xenon lights. interior is more basic, seats are cloth not part leather and the back seats have no headrests

cup is more of a drivers car, 172 is probably more comfortable, although you will notice the ride being alot harsher compared to your corsa

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I have owned both and there is no difference in ride quality they both have rather hard suspension.

Cup is slightly quicker but the 172 FF is the better everyday car to live with.

the only way would be to test drive both cars , that way you will be able to get your own opinion on the two cars . they both have their good points and bad points .

well the ride deffnatly wont be as bad as my corsa you can feel every little bump, it is lowered though.

i can do without air con and abs as ive never had them anyway.

looking at the 172 cup i think that it looks alot nicer than the standard 172 which tempts me to go for the cup i reckon. aslong as its nice enough to drive.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cup is alightly quicker, no doubt feels keener. I now have a 182 and came from owning a 172 cup for nearly 3 yrs...... Plus points for the 182 are flashy xenon lights and climate. I have a 182 with the cup packs, so its supposed to be like a 172 cup with the comforts. I think it feels lacking before 5k imo (speed), handling feels similar though.

Cup is alightly quicker, no doubt feels keener. I now have a 182 and came from owning a 172 cup for nearly 3 yrs...... Plus points for the 182 are flashy xenon lights and climate. I have a 182 with the cup packs, so its supposed to be like a 172 cup with the comforts. I think it feels lacking before 5k imo (speed), handling feels similar though.

thought you'd have gone for a trophy .... ?

unless i was to buy a 172ff and then buy some alloys from off the cup.
im a bit worried about lowering it though (not that im deffinatly going to) because my car was lowered and it is a horrible ride when it comes to bumps.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

thought you'd have gone for a trophy .... ?

Very nearly did, but the colour :dead:

Got a black gold instead ;)

I'd also miss the H&R action with the trophy :eek:

black/gold top colour choice ....give ya 2 months before the mods start ...hehe , coilovers here we come ....lol

Try this weekend, fingers crossed ;)

hehe , nice one , anyway before we take over his thread , the 172 cup is alot of fun .
i would recommend the FULL FAT version as you can always add the extras , more power , coilovers etc etc

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cup for me, the purists choice ;)

Its ALL about the colour (my old one)
DSC01141.jpg

DSC01151.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01134.jpg

Last edited:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Cup - better colour, looks better, goes better, Povery spec
172 - Search for pink bus! ;)

997.1, Caddy, e208
I chose the full fat over the cup, paid £600 extra for the privelidge......Leather seats and Cruise control done it for me......cup spoiler/splitter to follow;)