ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs corsa 2.0L

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

quite mad actually, was following a corsa home from work, thinking hmm wonder if its a 2.0, was subtle in black with tints, no chavs driver!

Anyway hit dual carriageway and someone was in front of me, but ended up at the roundabout next to him, he went righ and i went straight but he gave a cheeky bit of dumpvalve in 1st gear!

could have been fun if both gone the same way!

BMW 120i Sport

Can i say that a Corsa is still a bit of a shed no matter how fast it is? ;).

Instead of buying a 182, I could have bought a bog standard stripped out Corsa from the auctions for about £200, slapped in a high miler 2 litre for another £200, had a light pressure turbo fitted for £2k - so thats £2400 spent as opposed to the 182s £12.5k - but I bought the 182.

However, even though the Corsa would tear the arse off supercars up Crail all day long its still a shed that corners like a barge, no matter how fast. Its not always about the speed, but the whole car package.

Just my opinion ;)

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 06 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 06 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 06 December 2004

gimp!
why?!
Why do you have to ask?

Becuase effectivly said child will be uninsured and will join the ranks of the many uninsured drivers who push up our premiums every year. Scum is a more apt term!
What, unlike the upteen valver owners on here whove slapped 2ltr bottom ends on yet still have them insured as 1.8s? Dont see anyone having issues with them yet if its a corsa its a different story. People will always try and get away with stuff like that - if you dont agree then fair enough but calling someone scum/gimp is a bit harsh IMO...have none of you ever bent the rules?
well said.

CLIO 197 Ultra red

well i pi55ed all over a 2ltr nova round ours in my 182 with only 1000miles on. theyre quick tho.. as for the 2ltre corsa..if it weighs the same as a 172/182 how can it be quicker?? plus the shells r so flimsy the fall apart unless theyre seam welded....

silly boys....

Quote: Originally posted by Liam_Dynamique on 06 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 06 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 06 December 2004

gimp!
why?!
Why do you have to ask?

Becuase effectivly said child will be uninsured and will join the ranks of the many uninsured drivers who push up our premiums every year. Scum is a more apt term!
What, unlike the upteen valver owners on here whove slapped 2ltr bottom ends on yet still have them insured as 1.8s? Dont see anyone having issues with them yet if its a corsa its a different story. People will always try and get away with stuff like that - if you dont agree then fair enough but calling someone scum/gimp is a bit harsh IMO...have none of you ever bent the rules?
well said.
I take it none of you are properly insured then?

Imagine if someone with no insurance at all i.e like a 2.0 litre valver owner who insures it as a 1.8, a fool who probab;ly pays 2k for not actually having any insurance. Anyway back on to topic imagine if said fool hit your car or worse child or gf and was later found to be uninsured or have invalid insurance (both mean exactly the same btw) wouldnt you be just a tad gutted?

Dont bother replying I already know the answer!!!!!

Id be gutted yes but as i said, people will always try to get away with stuff like that. I know ive done invalidating mods at some point (like most on here id bet) but been lucky enough to get away with it - if the other person involved hasnt then i wouldnt feel too entitled to start a war about it...

Ive played with a few 172s, and had some classic encounters with doddcup off here. I remember the first time we raced, think I surprised him ;)

Also had the pleasure of a play with Adams_16v on the M1 a few months back! Infact I still want another go when my car is back on top form again, get some good vids again! ;)

Moral of the story, you can make any car go quick! Dont mimick because its a Corsa, do you laugh at Cossies too because they are shonky old Sierras? ROFL

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

theres another black corsa turbo knocking about local mate, seen it in mansfield, black with black tints! was gonna hve a play but he went the other way but i heard a cheeky dump!

yeah would defo be up for another blast mate, preferably after the throttle boddies are on though ;)

Well Ive a new bottom end to go on, bigger injectors, plus anything else we can do to extract the most we can from the engine!

And Im going to sort the handling!

Whens your TBs going to be on? Will make your car sound even more immense! *drool*!

MERCEDES CLS AMG

quote "I will be using a Stealth racing ECU and wiring loom and Vince at stealth racing will be setting the car up for me ( potential 300 bhp )" - this is the DTA kit - with the big turbo conversion these engines push put 350bhp - the car was running 13.5 with 200bhp & 50 shot of NOS, so with 300 / 350 bhp should be hittin 13 flat ( its gettin the power down though ) goin for a 6 speed S3 box with LSD.

I think you will find it is a case of diminishing returns on the 1/4 mile regarding power....

Best thing to look at is the terminal speed (traction doesnt alter that really), and it is a good indicator of power to weight.

What terminal speed did it hit with a 13.5 run?

Burgandy 174 sport t

well I beat a corsa 2.0 turbo at crail, printout to prove

Thing is he f**ked his gear change and put in a 14.1 on his second and last run on the quarter

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Ive got a lot of respect for anyone that has the ability to do an engine conversion whether it be Renault / Vauxhall / VW etc etc - some people cant afford a brand new performance car and the only way they can have a fast car is to do it thereselves - Timrud,s is a flyin machine and will see a 172 off no messin - ive seen it race, but then again there are fast clio,s - its good fun building a machine and racing standard factory production cars - thats were the fun is and at the end of the day were all in the same boat doing the same thing - owning quick cars and havin a bit of fun.:)

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

I have to strongly disagree! i used to have a vts and had mate with a 16v astra modified power cap / exhaust / filter couple of other bits.

My vts had a filter and exaust - and it had the edge on the ashtray. of the mark the vts was quicker and say 70mph on it still had the edge!

Now i also have a 106 gti as well as the 172 and the pug doesnt come close! it stays there up till about 60 not loosing too much but after 70 mph the game is over and im disapeering in the distance!

an astra 16v in standard form is no way comparable to a 172!

Quote: Originally posted by EvoCarl on 06 December 2004

XE power!

Filter and zorst should see around 165bhp ish on a good example.

I would imagine it would be very close between the 2...seems to be a touchy subject though ;)

A astra GTE 16v is more or less 172 performance so not suprising how quick the corsa is when you chuck that engine in.

If you want brutal speed tho Nova+Let=supercar eating performance.

One round my way makes my Evo look like its going backwards after 60(in the dry) but then thats what 360bhp/ton gets ya :eek:

I have a mate with a shed of a 2ltr astra (by that i mean no locks, dented panels, broken window etc) and it convincing RAPED my other m8s 106 GTI over a 20mile stretch. Like what the chap above said, a good example would be comparable....165-odd bhp is only a few bhp down on the clio at the end of the day anyway...

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

Yes but a standard astra would not be 165 odd bhp!! coz there 152odd

No disrespect - it must come down to your mate driving like miss daisy! ive beat one modded as stated in my vts and one in the 106 just with de cat and system!

Each to there own thoughts though, a 172 would rape an Ashtray 16v as far as im concerend :)

j3ned.... too right! were all in the same boat, doesnt matter what car you drive, its all about having a laugh and mutual respect for whats out there!

megane coupe F7R

We are talikin about an astra Gte arnt we. Ive kept with an astra gte before. About the same as the valver really. He wasnt gettin away anyway!

Quote: Originally posted by PJVTS on 08 December 2004

Yes but a standard astra would not be 165 odd bhp!! coz there 152odd

No disrespect - it must come down to your mate driving like miss daisy! ive beat one modded as stated in my vts and one in the 106 just with de cat and system!

Each to there own thoughts though, a 172 would rape an Ashtray 16v as far as im concerend :)
Well, I view these vaux engines the same as willy lumps (tend to make more power than quoted and a similar design) - given the reports of std willys on here being comparable with 172s then IMO its believable the same would apply to the vaux. However, like all cars you get good and bad ones.

As for my friend in his GTI, it made 127bhp as std at PGAC event (known RR) so one of the better ones as ive been led to believe...the comparsion with the astra was on a d/c so no real skill involved either...

astra gte(not gsi) 16v are quicker than a clio 16v.

Probally not by much but with a driver of equal skill the astra will get away, well straight line at least :p

From memory they are 155bhp/ton and 150lbft/ton so dont under estimate a good one :)

A 172 isnt going to rape one thats for sure.

Punto/Clio GTT

Quote: Originally posted by EvoCarl on 08 December 2004

astra gte(not gsi) 16v are quicker than a clio 16v.

Probally not by much but with a driver of equal skill the astra will get away, well straight line at least :p

From memory they are 155bhp/ton and 150lbft/ton so dont under estimate a good one :)

A 172 isnt going to rape one thats for sure.

yep. my cousin has a 2.0 16v and it beats our friends clio valver on the straights with ease. the clio is soon up our arses when we hit bends but comin out we pull away again.

172 vs 2.0 16v GTE? ide say the newer 172 would win BUT.. give that astra an engine rebuild & breathing mods, exhaust etc, and ide say there would be nothin in it.

FM

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 08 December 2004

I have a mate with a shed of a 2ltr astra (by that i mean no locks, dented panels, broken window etc) and it convincing RAPED my other m8s 106 GTI over a 20mile stretch. Like what the chap above said, a good example would be comparable....165-odd bhp is only a few bhp down on the clio at the end of the day anyway...
id rather keep my licence switch on the climate control flick through the cd changer and wait until i get on the track.

thing is most people are hyper muppets when it comes to cars. my boss and i were walking through york yesterday and there was a 360 modena parked up.. he said why would you pay that much for a car would a smaller cheaper car do the same job.

i couldnt give monkies how fast in a straight line ashtrays, novas or corsas are, in fact id love to see that corsa beat the 360 modena around a high speed track ?! even iif it magically did it wouldnt look or sound as good.

ohh and its more likely that youl have a fit woman 10yrs your junior sat next to you in the fessa even if you are an old ugly business man.

a 182 would MINCE a corsa around a track if both were standard. ive riven i few vauxhuls recently and there absolutley awful at handling with that overassisted steering and crap brakes. ohh and dont crash in one either or your likely to end up in a wheel chair. 182s a safe car though.

[Edited by cliotuRS on 18 December 2004 at 9:37am]