ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Vs S3 .... stats would say not that much in it !!

My brother has an S3 and we have some wicked races.
I hate to say it but the s3 totally outhandles the 172.
A standard s3 normally gets about sub 15secs on the qtr mile.
£500 on a amd chip gives you about 265bhp so beware as there is alot of chipped ones about.
Have a look at my Bros S3.
http://www.audi-sport.net/gallery/album07

Hi Sir.

how would you define totally outhandles a 172 ???

I would have to disagree...

power, yes.. handling ??.. the 172 is pretty much at the top of the pile in standard form as most of the track results show.

Joe

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Captn what do you reckon those 18"s do to the performance and handling?

I also thought the S3 was pretty pap in the handling department.

Yes, I would go with the Captain here as well, I do not think the S3 totally outhandles the 172 at all, although I have never driven an S3. The 172 is to all intents a fine handling car, and probably more nimble than the heavier and 4wd S3.

The only thing with 4wd is that you can put power down midcorner, and this of course means earlier take off, if you have both been cruising into, say a right hand bend roundabout.

But as far as handling goes, I do not agree.

The Audi is somewhat faster in a straight line, and has better traction in the wet, but thats about it.

I monstered past a 230bhp S3 at Donington in my standard Integra, there was nothing in it on the straights, and with due respect there was nothing in it on the corners either, but the teg was just that bit faster.

If anywhere the place that the S3 would excel it is in the wet, 9 months of the year in the uk lol.

I do not think there would be much at all in the dry between the two - just the driver. Though £600 buys you around 260 bhp

The S3 is sold more as an upmarket fast GT tourer not an out n out hot hatch, so it is unfair to try & compare these two cars.
Its in my opinion an excellent (though expensive) all rounder.

If your looking for cheap fun buy a 172 (not that nasty people carrier) for 25K money if performance is your requirement the look to subarus & mitsus)

But still ...too think that a 172 can compete against a superior car like that... in both straight line and performance and corners ....is such a confidence booster for someone buying a 172 ...

Jock

Based on VAGs A3 (code name not model) platform, which no less than 23 of VAGs cars use, there is no possible way a car designed for cost reduction, and especially one incorporating the golf in its line up, could outhandle a little french nipper of a chassis.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well, with me driving a mk1 172 at a trackday at Elvington 3 weeks ago, I beat a guy in an S3 several times throughout the day.

They dont seem to handle that well from what I saw and aint massively faster than the 172.

One thing that was good was the punch they have out of tight low speed corners. The grip of the 4wd system and the grunt of the turbo makes them really quick to pick up.

Anyway, the guy in the S3 came for a nosey at the 172 when we had the bonnet it up (letting it cool down) and seemed a bit miffed!

S2000

I let you lot kno soon enough!

The times you quoted are for the 210 BHP car, the new 225 should be slightly faster again! The heavier TT manages 0-60 in 6.1 and under 16 to 100!!

S2000

I let you lot know soon enough!

The times you quoted are for the 210 BHP car, the new 225 should be slightly faster again! The heavier TT manages 0-60 in 6.1 and under 16 to 100!!

i did look at his car details !?! thats why im asking if he is going to race them... but he is talking as if he has some event coming up ..?? when are you planning on racing them .. and how ?? straigt line 0-60 or 0-100 ?? on the track head to head ....... lap time ??

Jock

Captain Slarty posted 29/07/2002 12:11 GMT Mk2 172.. Flame

Hi Sir.

how would you define totally outhandles a 172 ???

I would have to disagree...

Hi Captain,
If you get 2 GOOD drivers on a track day you will see what a mean.
The S3 has excellent stabiltiy and traction control as well as a 4 wheel drive system which excels in wet conditions.
I think we need to start thinking outside the box.
In a straight line to 100mph in the dry there is not much in it at all. Mainly the quality of driver.

S2000

Sorry guys Im pulling a bit of a wongy here!

I think my dad is going to get an S3 for his next company car, I will have access to it whenever I want, Ill probably be driving it more than the 172! So I should be in a position to let you know what I think. We wen to see a new S3 this weekend, oooooooooo those black leather Recaros!

having owned both, I had an S3 210 bhp for two years untill I bought my 172. The power difference is very marginal but the S3 pulls away in 3th gear

The handling in the S3 no matter what the weather condition is far better but lets face it, the car costs twice as much. The four wheel drive helps loads and I used to be able to pull away from BoxerSs especially exiting corners. I bought the 172 as I had to save some money for a new house deposit. I am not disappointed and I have raced a few S3s , I think I made a good decission, no way would a 172 pass an S3 but it would not be far behind.

S2000

"The handling in the S3 no matter what the weather condition is far better"

Theres no way Im buying that! Ive seen a 172 corner as hard as a scoob round a track!

But Ill soon see!